Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 25, 2014, 12:46:04 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  SC 2.0 Base Classes Converted to FC?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: SC 2.0 Base Classes Converted to FC?  (Read 429 times)
Dr Peabody
Recruit

View Profile
« on: March 16, 2013, 11:34:30 AM »

It's been a while since I last posted.  It took me a while to talk people into playing Fantasycraft but now they love it.

Anyway, a search doesn't reveal that the topic of using some or any of the Spycraft 2.0 classes in FC has arisen, yet, so I was wondering if it just hadn't been brought up or if it is, indeed, a fool's errand.  Looking at them without going into too much detail, they seem to be cut quite from the same cloth.  After dropping the Gear picks and finding appropriate Lifestyle/Legend tracks, is there much else to be done?  Could the Gear even be preserved as a sort of equipment package during chargen?

I ask because I'm exploring the use of FC as a system for a Star Wars game some friends have requested.  Most of the FC base classes cover the gist of SW archetypes (it is essentially fantasy, after all) but the SC classes offer a lot for a game with technological advances beyond the Medieval milieu. 

Any suggestions?
samsimilian
Operative

Do or do not... there is no try

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 03:02:59 PM »

I would use the Mass Craft Pdf
http://www.crafty-games.com/forum/index.php?topic=4651.0

and Sletchman's modern ranged combat feats:
http://sletchweb.wikidot.com/feats

and of course this:
http://www.crafty-games.com/forum/index.php?topic=3246.0

Dr Peabody
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 03:21:39 PM »

That Mass Craft doc sounds useful but there's nothing there, according to Rapidshare.

Are Sletch's feats FC versions of the SC 2.0 feats?  The names of some of them look familiar.  I'm sure they were in the SC book.

I've been following that thread.  The OP is a little hard to read, with all the revisions, but I like the ideas.  It would be great to see it in the database. 

Is it the consensus that the SC classes are too molded for their settings to play in FC's sandbox?  I certainly saw a better fit for Star Wars with the Snoop than I did with the Lancer but I wanted to know if anyone thought the SC classes too geared towards group missions or something.  I'm really just curious if people don't see any compatibility or if they are all waiting on SC 3.0 to answer their questions.  Personally, I'd rather get moving with any conversions so that I can play sooner rather than later.  But if anyone has done the hard work and has some wisdom to share, I'm listening.

Sam, in speaking about the SW thread, did you ever see the Psion abilities that aegis converted from SFA for FC?  I'm pretty much just using that writeup for my Force powers.  It's a pretty good mix of abilities that work well with our preconceptions of what Jedi/Sith/Nightsisters/et al can do with the Force.  The one aegis shared in a another thread about Psions for FC was in French but I found an English version.  Would you like to see it?   

Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 09:11:59 PM »

Are Sletch's feats FC versions of the SC 2.0 feats?  The names of some of them look familiar.  I'm sure they were in the SC book.

In some cases: Yes, but heavily reworked to be more in line with Fantasy Craft benefits (mild static benefit + trick / stance).

Example:
SC Marksmanship Basics gives brace as a free action.
My Marksmanship Basics retains that, but puts it into a stance (which is also a call back to SC 1st Ed), as well as an always on benefit (the increased accuracy - a new stat in the weapons I also wrote up in the equipment section).  If anyone was using them without my weapon stat lines I'd just alter the static bonus to increase Aim's benefit from +1 to +2.

Similar, but different.  Some feats are vastly different - Warning Shot (Marksmanship Mastery) didn't exist anywhere else that I was aware of, and the entire Sharpshooter change has only a little in common with the SC2.0 chain.

In other cases: They are completely new (Shotgun chain, Revolver chain, Flamethrower chain - SC only had "basics" for each of the last two, and no shotgun chain at all).

By and large, I kept the names because they're evocative and give a clear idea about what they do - Sharpshooting (Chain) is all about accuracy, and that perfect shot (reduced cover, headshots, etc), Marksmanship is about fundamentally good shooting (good stance, aiming, etc), Autofire is all about the dakka.  Shotgun / Revolver / Flamethrower obviously target their specific weapon type.  I'm guessing this is the same reason the Crafty crew originally picked those names (where applicable).

Is it the consensus that the SC classes are too molded for their settings to play in FC's sandbox?  I certainly saw a better fit for Star Wars with the Snoop than I did with the Lancer but I wanted to know if anyone thought the SC classes too geared towards group missions or something.  I'm really just curious if people don't see any compatibility or if they are all waiting on SC 3.0 to answer their questions.  Personally, I'd rather get moving with any conversions so that I can play sooner rather than later.  But if anyone has done the hard work and has some wisdom to share, I'm listening.

There's a little bit of work, but I actually like several of them in FC games.  The Sleuth was a fantastic fit (only was because the Emissary is a more fantasy flavoured conversion), and heaps of the Expert classes fit really well too.  The biggest thing is just making sure the tools the class uses exist (especially tech heavy classes like Hacker and Snoop), or figure out an alternate and still fitting trick.

Sam, in speaking about the SW thread, did you ever see the Psion abilities that aegis converted from SFA for FC?  I'm pretty much just using that writeup for my Force powers.  It's a pretty good mix of abilities that work well with our preconceptions of what Jedi/Sith/Nightsisters/et al can do with the Force.  The one aegis shared in a another thread about Psions for FC was in French but I found an English version.  Would you like to see it?    

Not samsimilian, but a buddy of mine used Aegis's psionic conversion in a Fantasy Craft game.  I'll ask him how it went balance / flavour wise when I speak to him at our next session.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 12:17:36 AM by Sletchman » Logged
tfwfh
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 09:50:24 PM »

I did this just recently.  The conversion is fairly straightforward (in my opinion).  At least for the values you get from the tables.  Class abilities require a bit more interpretation.  Skills also require a bit (but only a bit) of interpretation.  So, here's what I came up with:

Advocate
Vitality: 8
Skills: Bluff, Impress, Intimidate, Medicine, Notice, Resolve, Craft, Investigate
Legend: Lvl 1: +0; Lvl 2: +1; Lvl 6: +2; Lvl 10: +3; Lvl 14: +4; Lvl 18: +5

Explorer
Vitality:8
Skills: Athletics, Blend, Drive, Investigate, Notice, Resolve, Craft, Search, Prestidigitation, Haggle, Survival

Faceman
Skills: Blend, Bluff, Disguise, Impress, Notice, Search, Sense Motive, Prestidigitation

Hacker
Vitality: 6
Hacking*, Investigate, Drive, Craft, Disguise, Notice, Resolve, Prestidigitation, Sneak, Haggle
Legend: Lvl 1: +1; Lvl 3: +2; Lvl 5: +3; Lvl 7: +4; Lvl 9: +5; Lvl 11: +6; Lvl 13: +7; Lvl 15: +8; Lvl 17: +9; Lvl 19: +10

Intruder
Skills: Acrobatics, Athletics, Bluff, Drive, Craft, Prestidigitation, Notice, Search, Sneak, Haggle, Tactics
Legend: Lvl 1: +1; Lvl 3: +2; Lvl 5: +3; Lvl 7: +4; Lvl 9: +5; Lvl 11: +6; Lvl 13: +7; Lvl 15: +8; Lvl 17: +9; Lvl 19: +10

Pointman
Skills: Drive, Notice, Craft, Tactics
Legend: L1 +1; L2 +2; L3 +3; L5 +4; L6 +5; L7 +6; L9 +7; L10 +8; L11 +9; L13 +10; L14 +11; L15 +12; L17 +13; L18 +14; L19 +15

Scientist
Skills: Investigate, Hacking*, Drive, Craft, Disguise, Medicine, Notice, Resolve, Search, Tactics
Legend: L1 +1; L2 +2; L3 +3; L5 +4; L6 +5; L7 +6; L9 +7; L10 +8; L11 +9; L13 +10; L14 +11; L15 +12; L17 +13; L18 +14; L19 +15

Scout
Vitality: 10
Skills: Athletics, Drive, Notice, Resolve, Search, Sneak, Survival, Tactics

Sleuth
Skills: Drive, Intimidate, Investigate, Notice, Resolve, Craft, Search, Prestidigitation, Sense Motive, Sneak, Haggle

Snoop
Skills: Investigate, Blend, Bluff, Hacking*, Craft, Impress, Notice, Search, Sense Motive, Prestidigitation

Soldier
Vitality: 10
Skills: Athletics, Drive, Intimidate, Notice, Resolve, Search, Survival, Tactics

Wheelman
Skills: Acrobatics, Athletics, Drive, Craft, Impress, Intimidate, Notice, Prestidigitation, Haggle, Tactics

Basically, Gear becomes Legend.  Both Gear and Legend have a fast/medium/slow progression, so it's fairly straight forward.  Skill points stay the same, but skill lists need to be interpreted, and this is only one take on it.  I'm doing this for a cyberpunk game I recently started running, and I just can't bring myself to actually use SC2.0, because I don't like it.  The Hacking skill is sort of setting specific, and I'm treating it similar to Spellcasting.  If that's not relevant to you, just leave it out.  I haven't looked at expert classes yet; I figure I'll cross those bridges when I reach them.  Hope this helps.

Who's the more foolish, the fool or tfwfh?
samsimilian
Operative

Do or do not... there is no try

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 02:22:25 AM »

That Mass Craft doc sounds useful but there's nothing there, according to Rapidshare.

Are Sletch's feats FC versions of the SC 2.0 feats?  The names of some of them look familiar.  I'm sure they were in the SC book.

I've been following that thread.  The OP is a little hard to read, with all the revisions, but I like the ideas.  It would be great to see it in the database. 

Is it the consensus that the SC classes are too molded for their settings to play in FC's sandbox?  I certainly saw a better fit for Star Wars with the Snoop than I did with the Lancer but I wanted to know if anyone thought the SC classes too geared towards group missions or something.  I'm really just curious if people don't see any compatibility or if they are all waiting on SC 3.0 to answer their questions.  Personally, I'd rather get moving with any conversions so that I can play sooner rather than later.  But if anyone has done the hard work and has some wisdom to share, I'm listening.

Sam, in speaking about the SW thread, did you ever see the Psion abilities that aegis converted from SFA for FC?  I'm pretty much just using that writeup for my Force powers.  It's a pretty good mix of abilities that work well with our preconceptions of what Jedi/Sith/Nightsisters/et al can do with the Force.  The one aegis shared in a another thread about Psions for FC was in French but I found an English version.  Would you like to see it?   

Send glimmerrat a PM, I'm sure he'll send u a copy. If it's ok with him I can send it to you to.

Dr Peabody
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 08:01:26 PM »

Those suggestions, tfwhfm, look good.  I will probably use those as a starting point.

Thank you all.  The idea was to see if the classes could be handled quickly, leaving me time to focus on alien species and starship conversions for the Star Wars setting. 
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: