Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 29, 2014, 03:12:15 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  Expert Class: Baron
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Expert Class: Baron  (Read 2594 times)
pawsplay
Powered By Publisher
Control

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2011, 11:51:14 AM »

The previous version was better. Here, you're out of whack again.

It feels closer to me, but you're right, it's not quite there.

Rise to power should be your B ability; unlike Codd & Ceven, B doesn't split between unrelated benefits

Good point. While it breaks my heart to move Land and title, that's the easiest fix... and neatly pairs it with fortunes of war I, with which it has nothing in common but can co-exist within the C- progression.

You're a warlord: D really should go to some form of party buff.

I like the idea of a party buff, but I can't seem to hit the right concept. I'd like something that says lead from the front (Scout's overrun, Captain's cadre, Edgemaster swagger) rather than one that says stand in the back giving commands (battle planning, also already dangerously exposed by being on both the Captain and the Paladin as well as a path).

FoW1 goes at 6th level.

Soldier 4/Baron 6 would get fortunes of war II one level before the Soldier.

D ability suggestion:
     Warband: At level 4, during a Dramatic scene, character options possessed by party members that use a number of feats to determine a value are calculated using the greatest number of those feats possessed by any 1 member of the party. Feats that may not be gained temporarily are not affected by this ability.
     At level 8, the value is calculated using the total number of those feats possessed by the party.

That's pretty cool. However I hate to give up Blade Practice entirely, and I don't want anything that mathy. While the Baron is a leader, he isn't foremost a tactician. Someone like Maximus from Gladiator might have that ability.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 11:56:15 AM by pawsplay » Logged
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2011, 11:58:40 AM »

Soldier 4/Baron 6 would get fortunes of war II one level before the Soldier.

It's the advantage of an expert class. It's also how the system has already been established to work.

D ability suggestion:
     Warband: At level 4, during a Dramatic scene, character options possessed by party members that use a number of feats to determine a value are calculated using the greatest number of those feats possessed by any 1 member of the party. Feats that may not be gained temporarily are not affected by this ability.
     At level 8, the value is calculated using the total number of those feats possessed by the party.

That's pretty cool. However I hate to give up Blade Practice entirely, and I don't want anything that mathy. While the Baron is a leader, he isn't foremost a tactician. Someone like Maximus from Gladiator might have that ability.

Drop Head & Shoulders

pawsplay
Powered By Publisher
Control

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2011, 12:05:01 PM »

Power Play (Courtier) goes every three levels. Do you think it would be kosher to put Land and Title at Level 1?
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2011, 12:11:43 PM »

Not really. But if you are going to change up the A slot, I'd lose Contempt as a prereq and replace it with Pathfinder (Indoor/Settled)

pawsplay
Powered By Publisher
Control

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2011, 12:41:39 PM »

The mechanical suggestions seem sound, but I think for thematic reasons I may do something a little different.

What I really need to tie this up is probably a one or two tier party buff, and then the Level 10 ability needs to mesh with the advancements already made.
pawsplay
Powered By Publisher
Control

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2011, 12:00:45 PM »

I've been playing around with this some more. With the Regent Master class in play, it has actually relieved my ambition to try to make this class all things to all people. Baron is intended to be sort of the mirror image of Gallant, the guy who owns the castle rather than the guy who serves in one. I've also realized that Blade Practice marries the class unnecessarily to a particular style (even though I liked the imagery), as there is no reason a Baron couldn't be a master archer or even a minor magician rather than a melee character. For the game-breaker, I inverted the Paladin's speciality. The Baron can plow through lesser foes, but against truly superior opponents, he must confront his fate... or convince a champion to confront it for him. I gave in and made him explicitly a backer, though he remains somewhat of a hybrid social character.

New version:

Baron (Expert)
   The Baron is a cunning warrior and an able leader. The Baron's power derives not from a life of privilege, but from formidable personal
skills, used in the service of his domain. Whether negotiating alliances or storming the walls, the Baron's unyielding self-confidence and acumen put him head and shoulders over his rivals.
   Depending on your campaign, a Baron could be...

•An ambitious lord, driving back anarchy and the wilderness to expand his territory
•A loyal governor, maintaining an iron grip throughout the province
•A heroic knight, filling his manor's great hall with trophies of his victories
•A dashing noble, whose martial valor provides a counterweight to discontent among the lords
•A mercenary, setting forth from his private keep when gold and glory beckon once again

Party Role: Combatant/Backer. You're a lion in battle. You inspire trust, or at least cooperation, in others, and your personal resources give
pause to those who would stand in your way.

Requirements: Cha 13+, Resolve 4+ ranks, Tactics 4+ ranks, Contempt feat
BAB high, Reflexes low, Fortitude low, Will medium, Defense medium, Initiative medium, Lifestyle high, Legend medium
Favored Attributes: Strength, Charisma, Intelligence
Skills: Athletics, Haggle, Impress, Intimidate, Notice, Resolve, Ride, Sense Motive, Survival, Tactics.
Skill Points: 6 + Int modifier per level
Vitality: 9 + Con modifier per level

1 – Perilous siege, loyal armsmen
2 – Land and title
3 – Fiefdom
4 – Battle planning I, Well-Equipped
5 – Rise to Power
6 - Self-confidence +1
7-  Fortunes of war I, Fiefdom
8 – Battle planning II, bonus feat
9 – Rise to Power
10 – Self-confidence +2, Lord of War

Core Ability
Loyal armsmen: You gain the Followers feat, the followers consisting of Men-at-arms. You may gain the Followers feat a second time, as your
character options allow.

Class Abilities
Perilous siege: You gain Pathfinder Basics (Indoor/Settled) as a bonus feat. You also gain the Warding Strike trick.
Land and title: At Level 2, you receive a 20% discount when purchasing or improving holdings. Also, NPCs automatically know your name and title.
Fiefdom: At Level 3, you gain 30 Reputation which must be spent on Holdings. At Level 7, you receive an additional 30 Reputation.
Rise to Power: At Levels 5 and 9, you gain 1 Lifestyle or your Noble Renown increases by 1.
Battle planning I: At Level 4, you gain battle planning (as the Captain class).
Battle planning II: At Level 8, you gain two additional battle plans (total 4).
Well-equipped: At Level 4, choose mounts, one class of vehicles, or siege weapons. You gain a 20% discount when purchasing gear and related gear from those categories.
Self-Confidence: At Levels 6 and 10, your Wisdom and Charisma scores each rise by 1.
Fortunes of war I: At Level 7, you gain  Damage Reduction 1. During dramatic scenes, this DR increases to 2.
Bonus feat: At Level 8, you gain a bonus Style, or Terrain feat.
Lord of War: At Level 10, you gain an insight bonus to Defense equal to your Wisdom bonus (minimum +1) against standard characters. Against standard characters, your threat range increases by your Charisma bonus (minimum 1).

Big_Jim
Handler

An integral part of any plan for world domination.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2011, 02:22:03 PM »

The F ability (Self-Confidence) should only be gained at level 6. The second helping at level 10 is out of whack. Other than that, I like this version the best of the ones that you've done so far in the refinement.
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2011, 02:38:17 PM »

Its actually a pretty similar structure to the Paladin - the gamebreaker is made up of two smaller parts, one of which is a copy of the 6th level ability.

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
Goodlun
Operative

Yeah thats me with my Judo Gi and an AK-47

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2011, 03:11:08 PM »

I like where this has gone,
- Captain, Baron, Regent
This makes me happy
Big_Jim
Handler

An integral part of any plan for world domination.

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2011, 05:06:28 PM »

Its actually a pretty similar structure to the Paladin - the gamebreaker is made up of two smaller parts, one of which is a copy of the 6th level ability.
Ahh, I didn't notice that. Carry on then. Like I said, I like this version.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: