Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2014, 11:35:31 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  [Fantasy Craft] The Opportunist
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: [Fantasy Craft] The Opportunist  (Read 737 times)
Big_Jim
Handler

An integral part of any plan for world domination.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2014, 03:55:04 PM »

A Dash Of Luck: The slightest misstep against you is the first on the path to defeat. At Level 10, you gain the Black Cat feat. Also, you may Outmaneuver any opponent in Close Quarters as a full action. Finally, when an opponent you have successfully outmaneuvered suffers an error, it costs you and your teammates 1 less action die to activate (minimum 0).

All other changes made. This one, however I didn't. The original text is what needed, I think - direct mention of the Outmaneuver check (so those unfamiliar with it knows what's going on and that's its a real thing). Also, the mention of teammates is unnecessary - anyone can activate an opponent's error.

Finally, I replaced  DPoD with your final version of Seize the Moment. I think it's a little restrictive - this is the G slot - I'd drop the action die restriction and let the player focus his resources however he wants. Out of Combat, this can be  a classic 10 minute Outmaneuver check - watching a merchant deal with other customers in the bazaar and then hammering him on the Haggle check via increased Error and boosted check bonuses to get a bargain. Or become the belle of the ball with an Impress check vs. the host in much the same way.
Big_Jim
Handler

An integral part of any plan for world domination.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2014, 04:30:19 PM »

PDF (matching my last post's suggestions):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8FCrAZcFJJDSmZnczlVcG5pRzQ/edit?usp=sharing

EDIT: made it look better, fixed formatting/typos.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 10:53:38 PM by Big_Jim » Logged
paddyfool
Control

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2014, 05:46:57 PM »

Looks good to me.

Now to think about tempting builds... captain / opportunist with a brutally ruthless sidekick would tempt me very much.  Played as the guy who's smart enough never to be far from allied muscle, yet actually helpful to them in the heat of the moment.
Curator
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2014, 02:40:03 AM »

PDF (matching my last post's suggestions):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8FCrAZcFJJDSmZnczlVcG5pRzQ/edit?usp=sharing

EDIT: made it look better, fixed formatting/typos.

Looks great. Allowing them to also spend action dice is fine if you think it's not too strong then; that was my main fear, but it seems you're pretty confident that it's appropriate; so cool with me.

Yeah, after one last, semi-thorough lookover, this looks fantastic. I can safely say the book can be closed here. It feels complete, cohesive, and best of all, enticing to play.
I know for sure that I wanna run a character into this, and I think I might actually do that with the level 3 Sage / 1 Fighter I have. With 12/8/13/16/14/14 as his attributes, I think he fits right in with this class, plus with 1 more sage level he could pick up battle-planning one to get that awesome +3 morale at Tactician 8.
Jake
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2014, 10:51:43 AM »

with 1 more sage level he could pick up battle-planning one to get that awesome +3 morale at Tactician 8.

No that won't work. With the whatever cross class ability you take with the sage won't mesh with with the same ability. Example:

Sage 4 Take battle planning
Opportunist 4: Battle Planning is replaced with a different cross class ability.
Opportunist 8: You can take Battle Planning II

Same thing happens if you go the other way:
Opp 4: Battle Planning
Opp 8: Battle Planning II
Sage 4: Cannot take the battle planning ability as a cross class ability.

Founding member of the 10kBLF (Ten Thousand Bullets Liberation Front).
Curator
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2014, 04:42:37 PM »

No that won't work.

Welp. There goes all my hopes and dreams.  Cry

Didn't realize that worked that way, but you're right. Oh well, there's always Fight On!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 05:57:45 PM by Curator » Logged
paddyfool
Control

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2014, 05:04:36 PM »

Among many other excellent choices...

Assassin: Quick on your Feet (suits a high Tactics character very nicely even if you never use the Disguise parts)

Captain: Right Hand Man or Master and Commander I.

Keeper: Bright Idea

Mage: Subtle and Quick to Anger Wink

Priest: Acolyte

Scout: Stalker (even more than the other flawless options, because hey: flawless Tactics) or Sneak Attack (you have many ways to make people flat-footed, after all)

Martial Artist: Improved Reach.  Or Martial Arts, for that matter.
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2014, 10:27:54 PM »

with 1 more sage level he could pick up battle-planning one to get that awesome +3 morale at Tactician 8.

No that won't work. With the whatever cross class ability you take with the sage won't mesh with with the same ability. Example:

Sage 4 Take battle planning
Opportunist 4: Battle Planning is replaced with a different cross class ability.
Opportunist 8: You can take Battle Planning II

Same thing happens if you go the other way:
Opp 4: Battle Planning
Opp 8: Battle Planning II
Sage 4: Cannot take the battle planning ability as a cross class ability.

The bit about choosing an ability once only applies to doing so via cross training itself. Battle Planning is a legacy ability (ie, it has a roman numeral attached) and therefore stacks regardless of where you acquire it. Battle Plan I + Battle Plan I = Battle Plan II, so a Sage 4/Opp 8 will have Battle Plan III

Curator
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2014, 02:44:57 AM »

He's actually right; it's in the big block of after-text for Cross-Training; it's on the following page and is thus easy to ignore/miss:

You may not choose an ability you already have, and if you later gain an ability you’ve chosen here you do not gain it asecond time; instead, you make a new cross-training choice to replace the former one.
FantasyCraft, pg. 48.

As a GM, I don't see any huge problem with reworking that paragraph to essentially count your levels as X levels for progression (so with sage 4/Opp 8, since BP is an every-fourth-level ability, you'd get BP III, but if at Level 4 Sage you were to take a 2/11/19 ability like Fortunes of War, then 2 level dip into Soldier, I would rule that you don't get Fortunes of War II, but instead you have fortunes of war I and are 6/11ths of the way to Fortunes of War II), but the restriction makes sense.

Generally, that's something I think would be a nice tweak for most class-based things in the system, since I've never liked how you can multiclass into 3-4 classes to get massive save bonuses (since many classes get an instant +1 or +2 to certain saves at level one, but then actually progressing in those classes only gives another +1 every 3-5 levels or so), but if you multiclass between several Med BAB classes, you'll have to take that +0 from the first level is each, dropping you somewhere between Low and Med. If it were simply "add your levels in Med BAB classes to determine your BAB gained from them" and the same for saves and legacy abilities, I think it'd be a lot cleaner for small loopholes like that. Granted that would probably take some confusing or finnicky language, and ultimately it's only a minor issue, but I figure I'd muse on it while it's relevant.

So yeah, he's right. No battle planning III, unless you have a forgiving/allowing GM.
paddyfool
Control

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2014, 04:25:44 AM »

I agree, and I'd like to add that I'd generally be happy to waive that restriction for stacking with class abilities granted by expert classes and specifically very happy in this instance since the ability fits the Sage's role as backer.

Of course, even if your GM doesn't waive it, you can still take Battle Planning. You'd just have to swap it out for something else when you hit Opp 4.
Curator
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2014, 06:50:17 PM »

Right, which is probably what will end up happening with my Sage. Battle Planning is a really fun ability, so I'd like him to get it as soon as possible. If he has to swap it out later, that's fine. Fortunes of War, Fight On!, and Trade Secrets (Sense Motive or Tactics) are all quite appealing too.
Jake
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2014, 11:55:16 AM »

Right, which is probably what will end up happening with my Sage. Battle Planning is a really fun ability, so I'd like him to get it as soon as possible. If he has to swap it out later, that's fine. Fortunes of War, Fight On!, and Trade Secrets (Sense Motive or Tactics) are all quite appealing too.

Cold Read and Signs and Portents would be nice too.

Added to the compendium.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 06:21:17 PM by Jake » Logged

Founding member of the 10kBLF (Ten Thousand Bullets Liberation Front).
Curator
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2014, 05:24:21 PM »

Cold Read

Done. I can't believe I forgot about that. Cold Read & Mark together is an amazing combination.

Add to the compendium.

I feel mighty accomplished!  Grin Thanks for all the help, Jake!
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: