Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 03, 2014, 03:05:30 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Fantasy Craft
| | |-+  Fantasy Craft Database
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fantasy Craft Database  (Read 13885 times)
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2011, 08:54:11 PM »

So, why does it spit a red "Please complete all required fields!" without the slightest guidance what's missing?

I see a little red "invalid input" at the bottom, which at first I thought was associated with the read the terms of use (which I have), but that doesn't seem to get the entry sent either.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 09:05:24 PM by Morgenstern » Logged

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2011, 09:00:09 PM »

You might benefit from an "article" category. I tend to produce clusters of material, like a specialty, feat chain, and campaign quality that all work together to form one thought. I was trying to post the Tuskcaller material (a related Path and feat chain) when I ran into the not filling in all fields (I guess).

veector
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2011, 09:06:04 PM »

So, why does it spit a red "Please complete all required fields!" without the slightest guidance what's missing?

I see a little red "invalid input" at the bottom, which at first I thought was associated with the read the terms of use (which I have), but that doesn't seem to get the entry sent either.

Is attaching a file REQUIRED? I don't see an asterisk next to that.

It may be a little unclear, but there is a checkbox under the words "Confirm (*)". This is a checkbox that needs to be checked to indicate you have read the terms of use (even if you don't want to, checking the box means you agree to the terms).

Sorry for the confusion.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 09:13:09 PM by veector » Logged

The intellect of man is forced to choose perfection of the life, or of the work, and if it take the second must refuse a heavenly mansion, raging in the dark.
- William Butler Yeats
veector
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2011, 09:09:35 PM »

You might benefit from an "article" category. I tend to produce clusters of material, like a specialty, feat chain, and campaign quality that all work together to form one thought. I was trying to post the Tuskcaller material (a related Path and feat chain) when I ran into the not filling in all fields (I guess).

Normally when it's something like this, I tend to post each item separately and then link them together with hyperlinks. You can indicate that using the Author's Note field or just send me a message saying how you'd like certain things to work. I'm pretty flexible, however, I do want to make sure that if someone is browsing the feats category, they might be interested in just getting ideas for how to make different parts of the system work together even if they won't use every single thing they come across exactly as presented.

The intellect of man is forced to choose perfection of the life, or of the work, and if it take the second must refuse a heavenly mansion, raging in the dark.
- William Butler Yeats
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2011, 09:12:39 PM »

Sure - I can make things hook together bottom up if need be Smiley.

Are you applying the hyperlinks at your end - so if a path grants a feat, you'll add the link to the feat if the feat is found in the Db in another file?

(I checked the box... that would not appear to be what's throwing the error)

veector
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2011, 09:14:32 PM »

Sure - I can make things hook together bottom up if need be Smiley.

Are you applying the hyperlinks at your end - so if a path grants a feat, you'll add the link to the feat if the feat is found in the Db in another file?

(I checked the box... that would not appear to be what's throwing the error)

Hmmmmm.... interesting.

When all else fails, feel free to send me any submissions directly.
moderator (at) fantasycraftdb (dot) com

The only other thing I can suggest is that you fill in all fields, even with some crap text and see if it works. If it doesn't please send me an email.

And yes, if I can clearly see two submissions sent at roughly the same time that fit together, I like to do all the linking I can because it helps search engines index the site better.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 09:37:35 PM by veector » Logged

- William Butler Yeats
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2011, 09:16:21 PM »

How would you like something like the rules for Distinctions submitted (i.e. new rule systems or new categories of prizes)

Distinctions are described in this thread~

http://www.crafty-games.com/forum/index.php?topic=3286.0

veector
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2011, 09:33:53 PM »

How would you like something like the rules for Distinctions submitted (i.e. new rule systems or new categories of prizes)

I like the concept. Let me ask the Crafty Games guys for some advice on this one. I'm trying to avoid having new rules systems on the database since it makes it less new-player friendly but this is a pretty good system for someone wanting to develop a campaign setting without magic.

One thing definitely, if and when I do publish new rules systems, if they're lengthy or need in-depth charts or custom code on my end, I'd probably prefer they be submitted as a PDF document that I can then have available for download.

Let me check with the Crafty Games guys.

- William Butler Yeats
Wolverine
Control

I want to smoke a fairy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2011, 12:21:15 AM »

One quick question about the use of the Author field. Seeing as you're entering most of the content, is there either a way to not display the field when you're searching or browsing? Either that, or editing the field so that it actually displays the name of the person who submitted the content in the first place?

"Dickhead books?"
 -Patrick Kapera wrestling with the New Zealand accent
veector
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2011, 07:42:16 AM »

One quick question about the use of the Author field. Seeing as you're entering most of the content, is there either a way to not display the field when you're searching or browsing? Either that, or editing the field so that it actually displays the name of the person who submitted the content in the first place?

If I understand correctly, do you mean that you wish to submit something, but attribute it to someone else? The original author?

- William Butler Yeats
Doublebond
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2011, 10:06:06 AM »

If I understand correctly, do you mean that you wish to submit something, but attribute it to someone else? The original author?

He might be referring to how you offered to manually enter Morgenstern's stuff, which he would send to you via email.
veector
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2011, 10:51:19 AM »

He might be referring to how you offered to manually enter Morgenstern's stuff, which he would send to you via email.

Ok... if that's the case, as long as it is clear somewhere that the original author is giving permission to have their stuff posted, it's fine by me.

The back end of the site keeps track of two fields separately, who entered the article (usually me), and also who the author is. The author displays but it's perfectly possible (although I'd have to make an exception on this) to not display the author.

I guess I always figured that people want credit for their work, but in this case, I can not show the author if the author wishes to remain anonymous.

My main concern is publishing something without the original author's permission.

- William Butler Yeats
veector
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2011, 10:53:06 AM »

I like the concept. Let me ask the Crafty Games guys for some advice on this one. I'm trying to avoid having new rules systems on the database since it makes it less new-player friendly but this is a pretty good system for someone wanting to develop a campaign setting without magic.

One thing definitely, if and when I do publish new rules systems, if they're lengthy or need in-depth charts or custom code on my end, I'd probably prefer they be submitted as a PDF document that I can then have available for download.

Let me check with the Crafty Games guys.

Patrick has informed me that a section for Prizes (under Gamemaster Tools) is probably the best place for this to go. If that works, I can publish this as a PDF in that section if you like. Feel free to email it to me.

- William Butler Yeats
Coyote0273
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2011, 01:48:11 PM »

Under the Game Aids section, you should include a link to the NPC builder. Unless there's some legalise reason not to. Smiley
veector
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2011, 09:21:56 PM »

Done.

- William Butler Yeats
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: