Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 28, 2014, 01:55:38 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Fantasy Craft
| | |-+  Fantasy Craft Database
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fantasy Craft Database  (Read 13535 times)
veector
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« on: December 30, 2010, 10:30:47 PM »

If you're a fan of any other d20 OGL games out there, you might have heard of a little known brand called Pathfinder. And if you know that game, you might have also heard that there's an awesome site called the Pathfinder Database which has lots of fan-created content. And if you already knew that, and you're on these forums reading about the awesomeness that is Fantasy Craft, you're probably saying to yourself, "Hey! That dude that did the Pathfinder Database should totally do the same thing for a righteous game like Fantasy Craft!" Ok... maybe I'm getting the word choice wrong, but anyway...

I'm here to formally announce that the Fantasy Craft Database is live and awaits all your great content for publication!

While not specifically endorsed by the Crafty Games folks, in order to be approved for the "Powered by Fantasy Craft" logo, I did have to go through an approval process, so you can consider this site as a reliable source for game content.

In order to stave off some obvious questions, I'm happy to answer some things up front that have been asked repeatedly about my other sites in the past...

Will there be a forum?
No. Whenever I put up a site, I have no interest in moderating a forum, and I really don't want to fracture a community that has already been built up on the site of the game's publisher.

Why can't there be direct feedback, like comments, directly below articles?
Since the Fantasy Craft Database is meant to be a repository of final versions of content, any time that content gets edited or changed, I don't publish a new version, I merely edit the existing article. That means that any comments posted would pertain to an old version of the article and wouldn't look right.

What if I have content that doesn't fit into any of the categories on the site?
Feel free to contact me through the site and we'll see if there can be a place for it by creating a new category or renaming an old category to include other articles.

Is there anything that won't get published?
If you have extensive house rules or customizations to the system, it's better to publish them here to the forum or on Crafty Games' wiki. The purpose of the Fantasy Craft Database is to serve the majority of Fantasy Craft fans with content that can be used right out of the box.

Also, the Crafty Games guys would like to keep certain parts of the game proprietary, so that means any articles that reproduce some of the behind-the-scenes rules are likely to get rejected.

All in all, the site is really meant to preserve a lot of the great fan-created content that pops up on the web here and there and never gets a permanent searchable home. I personally am in the business of building and hosting web sites so it only makes sense for me to keep the site running for as long as Fantasy Craft is popular.

I hope the site meets with your approval and interest.

Thanks!

The intellect of man is forced to choose perfection of the life, or of the work, and if it take the second must refuse a heavenly mansion, raging in the dark.
- William Butler Yeats
paddyfool
Control

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 11:28:39 AM »

Looks nifty.  It's probably worth asking Meadicus for permission to link to this under the "NPCs" section of the Gamemaster Tools drop-down; his NPC generator is about the best fan-based content I've seen.

Also, some indexing might be handy, particularly under sections that are likely to run and run, like the Feats section.
SilvercatMoonpaw
Control

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 12:36:47 PM »

Wonder what we're going to do with all the content on the wiki over here?
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 01:03:51 PM »

I was thinking much the same thing

veector
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 01:41:19 PM »

Wonder what we're going to do with all the content on the wiki over here?

If you're up for submitting any content that's yours via the Article Submission form on the Fantasy Craft Database, I'd be happy to post it as well.

The intellect of man is forced to choose perfection of the life, or of the work, and if it take the second must refuse a heavenly mansion, raging in the dark.
- William Butler Yeats
veector
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 01:42:24 PM »

Looks nifty.  It's probably worth asking Meadicus for permission to link to this under the "NPCs" section of the Gamemaster Tools drop-down; his NPC generator is about the best fan-based content I've seen.

Also, some indexing might be handy, particularly under sections that are likely to run and run, like the Feats section.

Absolutely. Like the Pathfinder Database has, as soon as I get enough content, I usually publish a page that's nothing but links to all the items in a category directly.

- William Butler Yeats
Doublebond
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2010, 01:44:44 PM »

I sincerely hope this initiative well and truly succeeds beyond your wildest expectations.
veector
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2010, 02:24:52 PM »

I sincerely hope this initiative well and truly succeeds beyond your wildest expectations.

Thanks! I appreciate it!

- William Butler Yeats
Crafty_Alex
Crafty Staff
Control

Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2010, 02:30:56 PM »

First off, thanks to veector for all his hard work in putting together the FCDB - it's pretty damn cool, and we look forward to seeing it grow!

In regards to the questions about how the wiki interfaces with this, I would suggest looking at the FCDB as a place to "publish" the rules you guys have perfected or finalized in License to Improvise for the greater part of the gaming public. As veector mentioned in his initial post, extensive conversion stuff and rules deprogramming like the fan-created origins guide or class skeletal stuff would stay here...for the uninitiated that sort of stuff can be confusing or overwhelming. Smaller, self contained rules are what the FCDB really needs to thrive.

Examples of what I'd think of good and not so good content to share:

Good content: Classes, feats, origins, tricks, magic items, locations, campaign qualities, Paths
Not so good content: System conversions, alternative versions of core rules systems, setting conversions (i.e. PlanescapeFC)

Veector is working independantly (and occasionally with the Crafty team) to curate content going into the FCDB so it gains a reputation for high-quality content for our game, and will make the final call on what gets published. I hope you who want to share your creations with your fellow FC gamers will contribute!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 02:32:34 PM by Crafty_Alex » Logged

veector
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2010, 03:59:17 PM »

First off, thanks to veector for all his hard work in putting together the FCDB - it's pretty damn cool, and we look forward to seeing it grow!

Thanks for the support Alex!

I'll point out some lessons I learned from my earlier projects.

#1 - If you're converting content from a published source, make sure that what you're writing is original. You can include content from the published source if that content is designated Open Game Content. Names are ok if it's not a trademark. If it's not Open Game Content, you should really design it as a true conversion with little, if any, reference to the original work.

As an example, let's say you wanted to convert Strahd Von Zarovich to Fantasy Craft. You can stat up a vampire of similar level and ability and name him something else. In the author's note, you're welcome to mention that it's a vampire of high level for horror-based adventures.

#2 - Please do not include images unless you have the right to publish those images. This includes any art that might be contained in an attached file. I have rejected custom GM screens and reference sheets  because the author included art that they downloaded from Deviant Art or another Publisher.

#3 - If you really want to convert some campaign setting specific stuff, see #1 above and then, try to make that content usable in a variety of campaigns. The more benefit everyone gets out of the DB, the more people use that content and come back to it and share it with others. The more people share content, the more popular the site becomes as a whole and the more content gets added. IT'S LIKE A VICIOUS CIRCLE! AIGH!  Cheesy

#4 - The more any piece of content is "bite sized", the better it usually does on the site. If you have a completely new mage class with a whole bunch of new spells and new feats, try to make it so that the mage article can be published by itself and the spells and feats separately. I can create links between articles (in fact it really helps) but it also helps when the site has more pages with discrete content anyone can use.

Hope that helps!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 04:01:47 PM by veector » Logged

- William Butler Yeats
veector
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2011, 08:25:10 AM »

Hi again...

I just want to point out something that people may not already be aware of...

When you submit content to the Fantasy Craft Database, you're not required to do any formatting of the content. All content submitted is formatted according to Fantasy Craft material (as it would appear in a published source) by me. So all it really requires is that you register for the site and fill out a form similar to posting in the forum.

- William Butler Yeats
Doublebond
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2011, 08:44:24 AM »

I'm trying to submit some specialties, and I just have one question concerning the nature of the "Introduction" field. What's its purpose, and how exactly will whatever I put in there appear on the site?
veector
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2011, 09:06:29 AM »

I'm trying to submit some specialties, and I just have one question concerning the nature of the "Introduction" field. What's its purpose, and how exactly will whatever I put in there appear on the site?

Basically, it's there for you to add some flavor (which really helps), or to summarize the article for those who may be scanning through a list of articles thinking about what they want to click on.

- William Butler Yeats
Doublebond
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2011, 09:09:13 AM »

Basically, it's there for you to add some flavor (which really helps), or to summarize the article for those who may be scanning through a list of articles thinking about what they want to click on.

Do author's notes get posted?
veector
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2011, 09:12:47 AM »

Do author's notes get posted?

Absolutely. It's actually another very important field because it helps the reader understand either what the author's motivation was behind creating the content, or in what situations the content could be useful.

- William Butler Yeats
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: