Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 25, 2014, 07:54:37 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  Expert Class: Warlord
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Expert Class: Warlord  (Read 958 times)
Doublebond
« on: December 28, 2010, 10:43:31 PM »

A while back I suggested the possibility of replacing the captain's PL abilities with one's centered around the coordinated feat chain. I confess I was so smitten with the idea I decided to try and work out a class which would have such abilities, and so I began to develop my first class for any game system, ever.

I think I've gotten it into a working format and it's ready for comments and criticism. Since this class is my first, I'm expecting there will be something horribly wrong with it at some point or another. Currently I suspect it's overpowered, and some of the abilities are too complicated/wordy to be practical, but I believe you all will be better judges than myself.

The concept I had was for a type of character that excelled in directing and leading men. A tactician; a Sun Tzu-like figure. Essentially, a non-combative captain. I still wanted it to be capable of being a combatant, however; just not specifically geared towards it.

Warlord Expert Class

Prerequisites
    Coordinated Attack feat
    Ambush Basics feat
    Tactics 6+ ranks

Skills/Vitality:
Class skills: 10; Skill points: 6 + Int mod ; Vitality: 9 + Con mod

Class Skills
Notice, Intimidate, Tactics, Impress, Resolve, Investigate, Sense Motive, Riding, Survival, Medicine*

*Possible alteration: replace medicine with athletics to help facilitate more combat-oriented implementations of the class.

Favored Attributes
Strength (Melee) or Dexterity (Ranged), Intelligence, Charisma

Progression
    BAB: Med (1)
    Fort: Low (0)
    Ref: Low (0)
    Will: Med (1)
    Def: High (2)
    Init: High (2)
    Lifestyle: Med (1)
    Legend: Med (1)

Here's the skeleton I used for the class abilities. IIRC it's only slightly different from that listed in the wiki.

1. A1, Core
     2. B1
     3. C1
     4. D1, E
     5. C2
     6. F
     7. B2, C3
     8. D2, A2
     9. C4
   10. G ("gamebreaker")

Core Ability
You gain the Battlefield Trickery feat. Additionally, at level 1 and every class level thereafter, your tactics rank rises by 1. This may not raise your tactics score above your maximum possible rank.

Ability A: Full of Surprises
1. During combat you may choose to make a full-action tactics check opposing the tactics skill of a target whom you can see or hear. On success the target receives a penalty to defense, attacks, or skill checks (your choosing each time perform the action) equal to your intelligence modifier (minimum 1) until the next time he takes damage (in the case of a defense penalty) or makes a successful attack or skill check (in the case of attack or skill penalties respectively). If you fail the check, you become flat footed. A combatant cannot be affected by this ability more than once at a time, no matter how many warlords are present.

2. Your intelligence score rises by one, and targets affected by your Full of Surprises ability are susceptible to sneak attack damage.*

*Possible addition: make it a half action.

Ability B: Master and Commander
1. You gain a Melee, Ranged, or Unarmed Combat Feat, or two proficiencies. Also, at the beginning of an adventure you may select a number of your weapon proficiencies, tricks, or advanced actions equal to your charisma modifier (minimum 1) . Each of your party members gain those proficiencies, tricks, or advanced actions for the duration of the adventure. You may change the selected abilities or fortes in the middle of an adventure by spending at least a week of downtime.

Weapon proficiencies selected may give grant fortes to teammates who are already proficient in those weapons in those categories, but must be selected twice to give fortes to teammates who are not proficient to any extent in such weapon categories.

2. You gain another Melee, Ranged, or Unarmed Combat Feat, or two proficiencies. Also, at the beginning of an adventure you may  select a number of stances you know equal to your charisma modifier (minimum 1).  For the duration of the adventure, each of your party members may assume those stances. You may change the selected stances in the middle of an adventure by spending at least a week of downtime for each stance reselected, up to a maximum of a month.

Ability C: Command and Conquer
1. You gain the coordinated move feat, and may use coordinated attack as a half action once per round.
2. You gain the coordinated strike feat, and may use coordinated move as a half action once per round.  
3. Once per combat, during your initiative count, you may utilize the either the coordinated attack or coordinated move feat as a free action.
4. Once per round, you may use coordinated strike as a half action. When you use it as a half action, only one teammate may make a standard attack.

Ability D: Battle Planing
As captain ability.

Ability E
Once per adventure, as a free action, you may gain any 2 temporary Terrain feats that last until the end of the adventure.

Ability F
At the beginning of a combat in which you are a participant, but before initiative is rolled, you may make an opposed tactics check against the enemy combatant with the highest tactics bonus. The minimum result your enemy can have is 20. If you succeed, you and your teammates all gain a bonus to their initiative rolls equal to your intelligence modifier.  This ability does not stack, however many Warlords are present. If more than one warlords are present the enemy combatant makes a separate tactics check for each warlord. If more than one warlords succeed in this skill check the highest intelligence modifier amongst them is used for the bonus.

Ability G (Gamebreaker): The Plan Comes Together*
Once per combat, as a full action, you may initiate an immediate surprise round, during which all your teammates (yourself excluded) can take actions as per the rules for surprise rounds. No enemies can participate in this surprise round regardless of character options. This entire surprise round is considered to take place during your formal initiative count, which is consequently considered to have ended only after the surprise round ends. This ability may not be utilized during surprise rounds.

*I owe someone thanks for this name. I forget who, but he's quite deserving of it...

I feel I've procrastinated too much in putting this up on here. It's time to just throw it up and see what people have to say.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 10:59:31 PM by Doublebond » Logged
Doublebond
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 11:07:12 PM »

After discovering Morgenstern's incredibly informative posts in this thread literally minutes after posting this, I expect this class will be undergoing major revisions one way or another.

Current concern is that the C line is too powerful for its use as the baseline ability for the class. I feel the concept intrinsic to the class, a real "backbone," but it seems too powerful for its slot...
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 11:25:16 PM by Doublebond » Logged
pawsplay