Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 23, 2014, 07:30:19 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  Counterspell Feat Chain
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Counterspell Feat Chain  (Read 748 times)
Psion
Control

View Profile
« on: November 25, 2010, 07:17:18 AM »

I suspect that there may be something like this in Spellbound, but I am doing a conversion of the War of the Burning Sky saga and was planning on starting it this weekend, and it uses counterspell rules extensively.

He's my first draft. It needs work... I want the ability to counter reflexively to be available as early as possible, but so far this chain suggests that come last in the chain. Also, I definitely need a better benefit for supremacy that doesn't totally throw the game out of whack.

Counterspell Basics
Prerequisite: Ability to cast 1st level spells.
Benefit: You gain a trick:
Flexible Counter (Spellcasting Trick): The spell's normal effects and range are ignored. Instead, your spell may be used to counter any spell with a level plus casting level equal to or less than the level of your spell plus casting level - 1. You may use this trick once per round, up to a number of times per scene equal to your number of spellcasting feats.

Counterspell Mastery
Prerequisite: Counterspell Basics
Benefit: You gain a stance:
Spellguard (Stance): You can use a counter spell effect (using a Counter Spell spell or the Flexible Counter trick) as a readied action to counter a spell targeting you as it is being cast. Doing so requires you win an opposed specllasting check against the spell's casting roll (for arcane magic) or against a resolve check by the caster (for divine magic.) You may not take the run action.

Counterspell Supremacy:
Prerequisite: Counterspell Mastery
Benefit: You can counter spell (using Counter Spell I or the Flexible Counter trick) effects out to close range, and you gain a trick:
Spellduel (Total Defense Trick): You bonus for total defense is added to the DC of any spell targeting you or which includes you in its area.

The Secret Volcano Base: my RPG blog currently discussing Fantasy Craft and Freeport!
paddyfool
Control

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 01:54:47 PM »

On a related note, I wonder if there might be a place for a defensive mechanic where you can buy a trick to get an Initiative Action along the lines of the Parry/Arrow Cutting/Shield Block model for a Will save to negate all damage to your character from one spell that's just targeted them, 1/round.  (It's probably not as useful, however, unless you expect to come up against many or particularly dangerous blasters).

The only problem is, I'm too tired to think up a good name for it... "surge of disbelief"; "resolute disbelief"; "wilful negation"; "dweomer defiance"... nothing sounds quite right.  Also, I think for requirements it should have "Spell resistance or 1+ ranks of spellcasting".
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 01:58:57 AM by paddyfool » Logged
Desertpuma
Control

Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 11:30:54 PM »

I bet there will be in Spellbound.

Crusader Citadel

Living Spycraft Mastermind Council Member

Crafty For Life!
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 12:34:12 AM »

I would personally start with a new trick/advanced action that lets you perform basic readied action counterspelling, and have the feats require this trick and build upon its functionality.

In broad strokes:

Advanced Action: Use readied action to counterspell.  [Possibly have you required to know the spell you are countering?]
Stance: Assists counterspelling [possible reduction in spell point cost to counterspell when in stance?]
Mastery: Two tricks for advanced action - Counterspell as free action, but less powerful.  Readied action with a bonus.
Supremacy: Bonuses when using the tricks, extra new trick [I like the total defence trick you mentioned].

I suspect it might be in Spellbound though, seems a suitable place.
veector
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 05:40:23 PM »

Any chance you'd like to add this to the Fantasy Craft Database?

The intellect of man is forced to choose perfection of the life, or of the work, and if it take the second must refuse a heavenly mansion, raging in the dark.
- William Butler Yeats
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: