Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 21, 2014, 10:46:59 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Play-by-Post
| | |-+  [Recruiting/OOC 1] Shinobi
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: [Recruiting/OOC 1] Shinobi  (Read 10836 times)
foproy
Control

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2010, 11:52:40 AM »

looking at the previous post, the setting seems to be more Japanese, and i was thinking more Chinese,  or Thai.

Jesus loves you, he died for your sins. Protoman hates you, he died for them twice. - Anonymous
Gatac
Handler

The power of Stark compels you!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2010, 12:21:33 PM »

I'm sorry if this is a little ass-backward, but I'd rather you guys don't spend time on the mechanics until I've seen and approved some background. A name and a paragraph of description will suffice. If you already have an idea for your personal legendary item, add that, too. This is just so you don't spend time and effort on a build that I might have to shoot down.

But if you insist on figuring out the build first - Level 6, Fast Attributes.
vardeman
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2010, 07:16:20 PM »

This looks interesting.  If you've still got room.  I'm thinking of a foreigner (Westerner).  What year equivalent?  What sort of gunpowder weapons have the westerners come up with?
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2010, 02:28:44 AM »

The idea of some wild west types wandering around Imperial Japan is an amusing twist on the usual ninja/samurai vs cowboys genre

Gatac
Handler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2010, 03:47:13 AM »

The foreigners who have appeared so far have been high medieval Europeans, and their advanced arquebus-type weaponry is seen with concern throughout the empire. Someone with cowboy-era weaponry would stick out like a sore thumb. More importantly, the infrastructure to support it just isn't there - the foreigners have their gun experts, powder and ball and cleaning supplies, but that doesn't mean much outside of the city they've built on the coast.

I'd like a cowboy in the game, sure, but since you asked about guns specifically - it's a good deal too early for Mr. Sam Colt.
glimmerrat
Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2010, 12:45:05 PM »

Kagaku Daisuke (or Kagaku Sensei) is a Renkinjutsuka - an Alchemist, of noteable skill. His talent with esoteric chemistry has seen him work for over a dozen different masters, from creating fireworks for the Imperial Court, to brewing poisons and creating nageteppo for certain ninja clans. Whilst he is nominally a member of the Artisan caste, he isn't above hawking his wares on street corners or engaging in illicit arson or posioning if the pay is good. He is also an experienced physician, and is perfectly prepared to use his skills to harm as well as heal. He isn't particularly strong, but he knows precisely where to hit you. Whilst not 'honorable' per se, he is intensely loyal to those whom he regards as friends.

Daisuke-san is a small, unassuming man in his early forties. His dark hair is uncut, and hangs around halfway down his back in a neat plait. He typically wears two or three overlapping Kimonos depending upon the weather, and they are usually plain and unadorned. The only outward indication of his wealth is his Obi collection - he always wears fine silk belts, which usually hides his purse and a few alchemical 'surprises'. He rounds off his outfits with pleated Hakama to prevent chafing in the saddle, and wooden Geta on his feet. Since he is not of the Bugei caste, his only weapon is a shod staff which doubles as a walking stick.

VAO Control; Crafty Freelancer; Freethinker

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
vardeman
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2010, 11:14:34 PM »

The foreigners who have appeared so far have been high medieval Europeans, and their advanced arquebus-type weaponry is seen with concern throughout the empire. Someone with cowboy-era weaponry would stick out like a sore thumb. More importantly, the infrastructure to support it just isn't there - the foreigners have their gun experts, powder and ball and cleaning supplies, but that doesn't mean much outside of the city they've built on the coast.

I'd like a cowboy in the game, sure, but since you asked about guns specifically - it's a good deal too early for Mr. Sam Colt.
So we're a couple hundred years too early for the cowboy.  How about a pirate then?

Niles Pemberton, Scourge of the Seven Seas, Terror of Tortuga, captured in a brothel in Port Royal and pressed into service on the crew of The Nieuw Amsterdam.  He escapes with a brace of pistols, a supply of balls and powder, a cutlass and a breast plate.  A stranger in a strange land, he joins forces with the locals against his former captors.

(edited for a little bit more flavor)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 12:43:05 AM by vardeman » Logged
Gatac
Handler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2010, 11:57:45 PM »

Yep, a pirate would work. In fact, I've already got plans for the group to run into pirates in a bit.

Also, glimmerat, you're approved. Smiley I'll be around later to talk mechanics with you.
Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2010, 11:31:39 AM »

I'm pondering a ronin "detective".

Inaba Aiko: She was part of a 40K-Inquisitor-style magisterial retinue -- essentially a yoriki -- doggedly on the trail of the missing Emperor despite "polite" "suggestions" to the contrary. As a result of her notoriously independent-minded Lord's... inattention... to these prompts, he and the rest of the retinue have been killed -- in a manner suggestive of gaijin involvement. Although there's no suggestion she was involved with the incident itself, those wishing the matter dealt with have used her fortuitous(ly alibied) absence along with her questionable ancestry to drum up sufficient innuendo to generate the Imperial Court's equivalent of a burn notice
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 02:12:43 PM by Mister Andersen » Logged

Gatac
Handler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2010, 01:37:49 PM »

Nice. We did in fact just have an off-hand mention of Cheong-Sin Ishikawa, a master detective who spent his life fruitlessly trying to prove that the 11th Emperor was poisoned rather than dying of natural causes. Maybe a descendant of his has chosen to take up an equally thankless task...anyway, approved, you can go ahead with the build, Mr. A.

Okay, glimmerat, mechanics: I think a Keeper build would work well for the concept. I'm willing to approve the Alchemist expert class insofar as the spells can be explained away as deploying advanced chemistry and gadgetry. Legendary Item may be tricky, though I think the walking staff you mention is the right housing. Start looking at the Heritage/Legacy feats for something you like (or the two-stage subrace feats if you're playing another race, mechanically) - I think Southern Horde is a good start for the concept, we'd just have to find something suitable for a second feat.

Note that whatever you pick for the legendary item here does not show up in your normal build. The first feat's a freebie as long as you have the item, the second feat you'll be able to pick up in the future with a level-based feat slot.
Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2010, 05:22:41 PM »

At the moment I'm thinking a Sensitive Inspector[something]/Sweeper

Something may be Assassin, Explorer or Priest

Which brings up the question of Alignment & Paths
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 12:00:18 PM by Mister Andersen » Logged

MikeS
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2010, 06:12:30 PM »

I haven't played online a lot, but I'd like to give it a try. Here's my character concept:

Shinmen Takeo - Kensai

Takeo grew up as a student of his uncle, the legendary Oda-sensei. His uncle had won more than 50 duels and was thought invincible... until he was killed by a bullet in a battle with the gaijin. After the battle, Takeo petitioned his lord for a musha shugyo, a warrior's pilgrimage, in which he wished to contemplate the mastery of the sword in a new aera with weapons that can strike down great masters from afar.

He has been wandering the lands since as Takeo, giving up his family name to avoid shaming his lord and family. He quickly found that contemplation alone does not fill his belly, and has been taking odd jobs as hired sword to fill his purse from time to time. His decreased standard of living shows in his worn, but well maintained clothes; alone his daisho looks to be in excellent condition. Over the past two years, Takeo has built a reputation as competent swordsman.

(mechanics: I was thinking of a Gifted Fighter Soldier/Keeper, with a lot of ranks in Sense Motive)
Gatac
Handler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2010, 12:43:40 AM »

Mister Anderson, alignments *should* all be fine. Same with paths, as long as there's a good fluff masquerade for supernatural abilities. I'm okay with the build plan.

MikeS, that's pretty close to a PC we already have in the game. Does he have any wrinkles beyond being a swordsman? Just from looking at him, I think an interesting angle might be that he secretly carries a blackpowder weapon himself, having decided that he cannot master the use of the sword against guns if he doesn't master guns, too.

EDIT: Vardeman, did not see your edit, sorry. Got any build ideas?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 12:45:12 AM by Gatac » Logged
MikeS
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2010, 01:44:51 AM »

I was assuming Kasumi had more of a "hero" than of a "sword master" bend. Since Takeo was focusing more on fighting from the start, I would think he'd bring more of a martial punch. He was also supposed to be a bit more samurai than the other characters sound: holding the seven virtues in high regard. respecting the laws of society and its hierarchy, and generally behaving honorable. I'd assume that makes for a bit of a challenge when dealing with the morally more flexible ninja types.
 I was going to make his quest more of an "understand the enemy and his capabilities, develop tactics" kind of deal, with a heavy helping of Sun Tzu, but sure, the firearm twist can be added. Since I was thinking of adding Keeper levels anyway, he might be questing to build his own firearm, or disguise one (eg as a walking stick, or maybe even a cart full of guns akin to the Lone Wolf and Cub cart). The question is more how "honorable" this kind of weapon would be; maybe firearms are something Takeo fears enough to risk a bit of dishonor for.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 02:04:03 AM by MikeS » Logged
vardeman
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2010, 02:14:40 AM »

EDIT: Vardeman, did not see your edit, sorry. Got any build ideas?

Still kind of new at FC. haven't digested the AC yet... any suggestions?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: