Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 21, 2014, 02:35:57 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Play-by-Post
| | |-+  [Recruiting/OOC 1] Shinobi
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: [Recruiting/OOC 1] Shinobi  (Read 10831 times)
Gatac
Handler

The power of Stark compels you!

View Profile WWW
« on: December 24, 2010, 05:54:35 AM »

Hey, everyone, I'm looking for one or two new players for my FantasyCraft "Ninjas and Foreigners and Magic, oh my!" game called Shinobi. You can read all about the group's previous misadventures here.

The setting accommodates a large variety of character types, and if you have a cool idea, I'll work with you to hash it out. In-depth knowledge of the system is nice but not required. We're a small but cozy group of players and would love some new blood in our ranks. Smiley

Post here if you're interested and I'll get back to you with details.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 09:58:01 AM by Gatac » Logged
Antilles
Mastermind
Control

Do I look like a people person?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 09:17:05 AM »

You're still using Google Wave?

"After all is said and done, more is said than done."
- Aesop
foproy
Control

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 11:05:22 AM »

color me intruiged, but what kinda game is this? pbp, virtual tabletop or otherwise? also would you have a space for a foreign monk?

Jesus loves you, he died for your sins. Protoman hates you, he died for them twice. - Anonymous
glimmerrat
Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 12:53:23 PM »

If it's a PbP i'm interested.

*EDIT* I'd like to play a Wujen - an elemental mage - if that's doable.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 02:29:20 PM by glimmerrat » Logged

VAO Control; Crafty Freelancer; Freethinker

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
Antilles
Mastermind
Control

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 02:10:08 PM »

Forgot to add it to the first post, but I might be interested as well, depending on which setup you've using. I'm currently thinking something along the lines of a Yamabushi, so a priest of some sort. Maybe Priest all the way, maybe Monk, maybe Spirit Shaman, it would depend on what fits best in the setting.

- Aesop
Gatac
Handler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2010, 02:38:44 PM »

Wow, that's a lot of resonance very quickly. Once again, the board does not disappoint. Smiley

Yeah, we're still using Google Wave. We'll probably go back to standard Play by Post soon-esque, though there's no clear timeframe - we'd like to keep on Wave, but seeing as the service is in its death throes, that's clearly not a long-term option.

As for using magic, I'd have to draw the line at the classic "artillery" mage. Summoning spirits, elemental effects incidental to attacks, supernatural abilities are all fine, but visually speaking, you wouldn't be throwing fireballs. You *could* have a secret technique where you flick your fingers together to create sparks, or you punch people so hard they catch on fire, but the official party line is that there's no magic in the Empire. Just lots of very, very weird things. As long as it's vaguely explainable as intense training, secret ninja technique or the aid of familiar spirits, it should be doable.

A foreign monk is fine, actually! I don't know precisely what you mean - more Christian missionary, or a wandering ascetic monk from a neighboring country? (i.e. "Western" or "Eastern" monk?) Either works, really.
Antilles
Mastermind
Control

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2010, 06:30:17 PM »

Well, that's the beauty of the Priest, really, since you've got to build the alignment(s), choose (and possibly modify) the paths, and all the other little details. You don't want a Path of Fire priest flinging fireballs and summoning fire elementals? Don't make an alignment with the Path of Fire. But I'm guessing the Paths associated with the Monk is setting-appropriate?

- Aesop
glimmerrat
Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2010, 03:16:16 AM »

So would you allow an elementally-themed martial-artist, a la The Last Airbender?

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2010, 03:23:01 AM »

Assuming this is pbp, what is categorically out as far as characters go?

Gatac
Handler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2010, 03:47:54 AM »

Yes, the paths listed with the monk would all be fine. I haven't had occasion to use alignments yet, though. All alignments listed in the book should be okay, if you can justify it.

As for "bending" magic - well, kind of. See, the main thing I don't want is magical effects that appear out of nowhere. If you swing a staff hard enough that it creates a gust of wind, that's okay. However, I'd like to caution everyone looking at a magic-heavy character to keep things relatively low-key and simple, and to build characters around skills and normal abilities, with a few special tricks thrown on top. Most really extraordinary abilities will come from gear - every character gets a thematically-appropriate legendary item, which grants benefits in line with or a little better than a (x) Heritage / Legacy feat. (It's, of course, easiest if you can find a pair that works for you.)

Now, what's completely out? Good question. Uh...anything that would more properly be found in Rifts? Smiley Well, I've explained that magic-heavy characters are problematic. Species other than human are also out, though I suppose you could ignore the fluff, grab the mechanics of something and justify them. I think an Elf would make a decent ascetic wanderer, f'rex. But for simplicity's sake, let's say stick with human talents unless you have a really good reason not to.
Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2010, 04:48:46 AM »

So no drakes or wooden mixed martial artists?

glimmerrat
Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2010, 05:34:49 AM »

LOL! Let him play this! Let him play this! Mokujin = win

Gatac
Handler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2010, 07:07:56 AM »

Much as it amuses me, no. Smiley
Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2010, 10:06:56 AM »

What level are you looking at?

Antilles
Mastermind
Control

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2010, 11:45:05 AM »

Yeah, level, campaign qualities, house rules, the works. I've got some ideas on making a Yamabushi, but making a character without knowing all the rules can be annoying sometimes...

- Aesop
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: