Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 30, 2014, 05:12:35 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Play-by-Post
| | |-+  [Recruiting/OOC 1] Shinobi
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: [Recruiting/OOC 1] Shinobi  (Read 11845 times)
Wolverine
Control

I want to smoke a fairy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2011, 12:30:52 AM »

Also, should armor fittings be thought of as arm guards, shin guards, gauntlets, etc?

What is considered a fitting is detailed in the rulebook in the armour section of the Gear chapter. From memory, arm and shin guards are considered part of your normal armour, while gauntlets and helmets are fittings.

"Dickhead books?"
 -Patrick Kapera wrestling with the New Zealand accent
MikeS
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2011, 01:45:37 AM »

I did read the rulebook. Maybe my question was phrased poorly:

if the only armor I want are arm and shin guards, would I buy that as fittings?

Otherwise, what do people buy light samurai armor as? The chest piece was made of steel for heavy armor, but I thought I read of bamboo, leather or lamellar for lighter versions.
Gatac
Handler

The power of Stark compels you!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2011, 06:41:36 AM »

The Renown thing I could see either way. Military if you're still sworn to a lord, Adventurer if you're Ronin. As for light samurai armor, I believe this is what scale mail is supposed to represent.
vardeman
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2011, 09:40:19 PM »

Looking more at the explorer... I'm not sure the core ability really fits unless somehow he's made a LOT of friends since his escape...
MikeS
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2011, 11:16:04 PM »

Still have to add finishing touches, and I will add a more complete background here, but I thought I'd post the work in progress.

Shinmen Takao (MikeS)

Student of the Seishin Dageki Ryu

(click to show/hide)

Legendary item: Mizu

Mizu is a katana, forged by the legendary swordsmith Tsusume ro-shi more than 100 years ago as part of a set of the four lesser elemental blades. Mizu's steel has a strong blue hue, and its temper line is white, like crashing waves. Observers who examine at the blade long enough would swear that the temper line changes ever so subtly as they look at it. Wielded, fighting against Mizu is like fighting against water: it can slip attacks through the tightest defense, yet doesn't present good opportunity for counterattack.

Mizu came into possession of Takao's master as a gift from the emperor. Mizu used to be wielded by Takao's sensei, and was bestowed upon Takao when he embarked on his musha shugyo. Takao finds the honor of wielding Mizu still difficult to bear, and thus also carries the blade of his father, to use against lesser opponents which would only sully the honorable blade. Takao thus represents a fairly unusual sight, for he bears two katanas instead of the traditional daisho.

Mizu provides Lesser Essences NPC Quality: Cagey I and Threat Range (Melee attacks) when wielded.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 10:50:15 AM by MikeS » Logged
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2011, 05:50:32 PM »

Looking through the Adventure Companion, it strikes me that Saurian Blood + Sky Clutch makes for an interesting pseudo wuxia mechanic

Gatac
Handler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2011, 12:16:57 PM »

MikeS, that looks good. Any ideas re: your choice of Legendary Item? Probably the sword as a housing.

Mister Anderson, indeed. Plans? Smiley
Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2011, 02:46:41 PM »

Quote from: Gatac
Mister Anderson, indeed. Plans? Smiley

I don't know. I had been planning a 2 weapon technique -- 2w fighting + 2w guard -- but gearing a character into rooftop chases does greatly appeal to me. Even more so when you add skycrest which reskinned is essentially that whole effortless bounding up onto roofs business from classic saturday morning ninja movies.

Yes, the more I think about the more I like Aiko being the go-to person for running people to ground

glimmerrat
Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2011, 03:30:43 PM »

Well that's me boned. I was going Keeper 6.

VAO Control; Crafty Freelancer; Freethinker

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2011, 03:33:13 PM »

Well that's me boned. I was going Keeper 6.

Huh?

MikeS
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2011, 09:40:42 PM »

Gatac, what is the scope of the item supposed to be in terms of power level and function?

I could envision other fitting casings, like an obi or a mempo. It all depends on where the limits are and how iconic you want the item to be.
Gatac
Handler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2011, 02:50:41 PM »

Well, like I said, my guideline is a Heritage/Legacy feat pair. Or, well, any two feat Species feat pair, as Mr. Anderson's example so aptly demonstrated.
glimmerrat
Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2011, 09:21:09 AM »

Actually, ignore me. I was going Keeper 4/Alchemist 2. There shouldn't be too much crossover.

I'll get him posted up asap.

VAO Control; Crafty Freelancer; Freethinker

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
MikeS
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2011, 10:29:06 AM »

How do you use the Spoiler function?
Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 07, 2011, 11:05:54 AM »

Start the text block with the word spoiler in square brackets

End the text block with the word /spoiler in sqare brackets