Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 22, 2014, 07:13:00 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Legacy Games
| |-+  Classic Spycraft
| | |-+  [SURVEY] For customers of the 1.0 PDFs...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Poll
Question: What edition of Spycraft do you play, and do you use the conversion documents?
Spycraft 2.0, and I use the conversion material   -33 (52.4%)
Spycraft 2.0,  don't use the conversion material   -13 (20.6%)
Spycraft first edition, and to hell with conversions!   -10 (15.9%)
I haven't used these at my table yet.   -7 (11.1%)
Total Voters: 57

Author Topic: [SURVEY] For customers of the 1.0 PDFs...  (Read 17996 times)
Psion
Control

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2007, 01:07:50 PM »

(shrug) I have all but 3 of the 1.0 books in dead tree (the two militaries books and gentleman's agreement). I actually like having both PDF and Dead Tree for anything I use a lot, for a few reasons:
1) I like having hardcopies for my own use, but like printing out pages for the players (for example, some of the old headline-mockups are great player handouts)
2) I also like being able to copy and paste text into documents I am working on. If I want to steal an organization or a threat from the old books, I could just copy in the pertinent info into my game notes.

I'd say that given this, the PDFs actually seem like it would make it easier for me to reuse the material.

The Secret Volcano Base: my RPG blog currently discussing Fantasy Craft and Freeport!
NezMaster
Handler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2007, 01:10:27 PM »

I have not yet purchased any 1.0 material. I might in the future purchase 1.0 material of scenarios (only) that includes conversions.

90% of all statistics are wrong.
Belisarius
Crafty n00b

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2007, 05:20:55 PM »

Perfectly alright Smiley I expected the owners of the dead-tree stuff would be the least interested - I see the PDFs as being most valuable to those fans who have come into the game with 2.0, or those who want more portable 1.0. Thanks for the thoughtful feedback, Belisarius (and everybody else)!

Just to clarify, I am interested in purchasing the 1e .pdfs -- $10-15 isn't excessive to me, if there's a little more sweetener in it on the conversion.  I have no idea what the economic reality of the situation is on your end, but for me, if I'm spending 2-3 times as much as I normally do on a Crafty .pdf, for something that came out in hardcopy years ago for a previous edition, I expect as a clueless consumer that a bit of that bump in price goes toward the conversion.  If that's not realistic for you all -- and like I said, I have no clue what the economics of all of this is on your end, it may not be cost effective -- I understand, but I'm perfectly willing to blow the money on a 1e pdf if I get more meat in the conversion -- the SFA document was much closer to what I want than the Spycraft 1e one.  I've got the money, and I'm fairly interested in giving it away to you guys.  Smiley

--B
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

End of the World? Don’t believe the hype.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2007, 05:51:44 PM »

Well, you're generally going to see more in the black book conversion files than the silver. For one thing, the black books contain more NPCs. For another, much less of that material made its way into Spycraft 2.0. That's just the nature of the beast.

A Dramatic Conflict for gambling might be neat but to be honest it never occurred to us. We already have gambling rules in Spycraft 2.0. From our perspective, until and unless we do a major gambling rules set, we're done on that front.

It does bring up an interesting, minor thread tangent, though. In the vein of my SFA thread on the old boards, feel free to also use this thread to explain what you'd expect conversions to contain. We're not saying we'll put it in - we can't guarantee anything - but it'll be helpful to see what the expectations are, and some of the ideas might spark or sway the process. Smiley

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games
YouTube: www.youtube.com/craftyhomeoffice

In game terms, reality is b
Forcegypsy
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2007, 12:54:09 AM »

Black Book content as mentioned will generally be more meaty conversion-wise. Mostly because of the fringe and psion content. Not averse to paying for the work done, but will generally need a specific request and it's not something I'll purchase on a whim. That said, I encourage anyone who doesn't have the dead-tree versions to get these pdf's just to get exposure to the fun that is Shadowforce Archer.

Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh.
afrodave
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2007, 11:02:17 PM »

I'm not currently using any conversion material. but I've been snagging some of the Shadowforce Archer stuff (used) at my local game store. So I will be looking into converting that.

Just my six sense
Darth Sephiroth
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2007, 10:50:50 AM »

I play 1.0, 2.0, and Stargate.

Several of my players are still refusing to upgrade to 2.0 and I still enjoy running 1.0 games such as my AvP game that has started up again recently though it has several Stargate things added to it.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
-Herm Albright
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2007, 11:03:26 AM »

What's their reason for not upgrading? 2.0 is a much more versitile system for doing things.

Darth Sephiroth
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2007, 05:05:39 AM »

Several just don't want to change because they'd enjoyed it far more than the times I'd convinced them to try 2.0 games. Others view 2.0 as to complex compared to similar games, so they never upgraded.

At times I also feel that 1.0 and 2.0 are almost to extremely different to be the same system.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
-Herm Albright
dpmcalister
Agent

Think on your sins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2007, 10:40:35 AM »

2.0 is a much more versitile system for doing things.
2.0 is, also, a much more complex system. That's the reason I've never upgraded.

» BlogFlickrGoogle+LinkedInTwitter «
ahzad
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2007, 11:46:53 AM »

Put me in the group that own the entire 1.0 dead tree line. I would like to have the .pdfs b/c of the portability, but I'm in no hurry and the black books are definately of more interest to me than the silver. They are something I pick up during a slow month of buying which is getting slower and slower as I come to realize the crafty guys have given me the best set of rpg mechanics that I've seen in all my years of gaming, and if they would go ahead and crank out fantasycraft, then other than my Conan rpg stuff and Freeport stuff (which would quickly switch over to your mechanics) all my money would go to you guys  Grin

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - A. Einstein
Psion
Control

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2007, 11:58:06 AM »

2.0 is, also, a much more complex system. That's the reason I've never upgraded.

I personally find that the 2.0 NPCs vs. the 1.0 NPC classes alone simplifies my life.

The Secret Volcano Base: my RPG blog currently discussing Fantasy Craft and Freeport!
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2007, 12:51:51 PM »

Though the NPC classes did lead to the ideas behind Fish's abortive The Matrix game

dpmcalister
Agent

Think on your sins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2007, 02:09:51 PM »

I personally find that the 2.0 NPCs vs. the 1.0 NPC classes alone simplifies my life.

Horses for courses Wink I find them more complex and prefer 1.0 NPC classes Cheesy

Don't get me wrong, I'm not slating 2.0, it's just not my cup of tea Smiley

» BlogFlickrGoogle+LinkedInTwitter «
Belisarius
Crafty n00b

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2007, 03:36:46 PM »

It does bring up an interesting, minor thread tangent, though. In the vein of my SFA thread on the old boards, feel free to also use this thread to explain what you'd expect conversions to contain. We're not saying we'll put it in - we can't guarantee anything - but it'll be helpful to see what the expectations are, and some of the ideas might spark or sway the process. Smiley
My main expectation is to see conversions of classes and feats, if at all possible.  They don't have to be to playtested to the degree that a brand new class in WoF or similar would be, but there are a ton of classes and PrCs that I have much love for and would love to see new versions of.  Even if you could say, "But the Pretender is just the Faceman with a few tweaks!" or "The High Roller is really superceded by the Pointman," I'd like to see a 2.0 write-up.  In a perfect world, the rare Dramatic Conflict from 1e that didn't make it into 2e -- the only one I can think of is Harassment, really, but I could be wrong -- should be converted, too.  2.0 NPC writeups for the old NPC classes would be nice, too.  In general, player-NPC crunch should have some kind of nod in the conversion, even if it's just advice on building your own. 

Like I said, I don't expect the kind of perfection and playtesting that I'd get in a brand new sourcebook, but at least a decent attempt.

I may be in the minority, admittedly.

--B
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 04:50:39 PM by Belisarius » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: