Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 02, 2014, 04:26:03 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  A few new specialties
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: A few new specialties  (Read 5071 times)
Doublebond
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2011, 08:42:13 AM »

Since we're already talking about specialities, anyone mind commenting on some of my own creation?
'like them all, particularly Amnesiac. Smiley

Thanks, Jack Nicholson. I really appreciate it.  Wink
Big_Jim
Handler

An integral part of any plan for world domination.

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2011, 02:58:30 PM »

I like the design of them all, but I think Knight needs a new name. I asked several people in the shop "What weapon does a knight use?" and no one picked greatsword right off the bat. Really, sword and board was what most went with, but that's been ingrained in popular culture as a "Knight"'s armiment.

Is there a name that's more focused on the inclusion of that feat? Something that says "I'm all about the two-hander"? All I've come up with in a quick and dirty search was Doppelsöldner, which were 16th century soldiers who wielded the Dopplehänder/Bidenhänder in combat and received double pay for their troubles. Would that be a suitable replacement?
Doublebond
« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2011, 03:07:01 PM »

I like the design of them all, but I think Knight needs a new name. I asked several people in the shop "What weapon does a knight use?" and no one picked greatsword right off the bat. Really, sword and board was what most went with, but that's been ingrained in popular culture as a "Knight"'s armiment.

Is there a name that's more focused on the inclusion of that feat? Something that says "I'm all about the two-hander"? All I've come up with in a quick and dirty search was Doppelsöldner, which were 16th century soldiers who wielded the Dopplehänder/Bidenhänder in combat and received double pay for their troubles. Would that be a suitable replacement?

I think it'd be all-around better to simply get a new feat. I initially made that specialty well before the AC came out; now that I have it, Lionheart Basics or Combat Rider seem to me rather appropriate.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 03:20:16 PM by Doublebond » Logged
Big_Jim
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 01, 2011, 03:14:01 PM »

That is a good fit.
aegis
Fantasy Craft Playtester
Control

A little dab'll do ya.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2011, 10:31:16 PM »

Ooooh, indeed! Lionheart Basics is excellent for a Knight! Smiley

Edit: and you can easily edit your content on the DB. Just submit the corrections and veector will do the changes.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 10:33:29 PM by aegis » Logged
Doublebond
« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2011, 11:07:09 PM »

Edit: and you can easily edit your content on the DB. Just submit the corrections and veector will do the changes.

Already done, actually. Smiley

veector is quite the bro.
pawsplay
Powered By Publisher
Control

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2011, 01:45:33 AM »

During the high medieval period, knights were mostly associated with the longsword. Greatswords are more closely linked with doppelsoldners, highlands, and late period knights (particularly the Spanish and Italians, contemperous with the spread of the rapier).
veector
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2011, 07:43:14 AM »

Awh shucks  Embarrassed

The intellect of man is forced to choose perfection of the life, or of the work, and if it take the second must refuse a heavenly mansion, raging in the dark.
- William Butler Yeats
Doublebond
« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2011, 10:08:04 AM »

Awh shucks  Embarrassed

Wait, what?
veector
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2011, 10:47:18 AM »

Awh shucks  Embarrassed

Wait, what?

Sorry. Let me express in words what my failed attempt at using a smiley tried to do.

I am embarrassed and humbled by the recognition and trust from the community. I appreciate it greatly. Smiley

The intellect of man is forced to choose perfection of the life, or of the work, and if it take the second must refuse a heavenly mansion, raging in the dark.
- William Butler Yeats
jameswllorimer
Agent

"Alea iacta est" - The die is cast

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2011, 06:42:17 PM »

I don't know if these will be any good, as they're more flavourful than mechanically sound; and I kinda did these as an exercise to see if I could create some. But anyway, your thoughts please..

Fence
You always know someone who can get what you want.
Bonus Feat: Extra Contact
Attribute Training: The lower of your Wisdom or Charisma increases by 1 (your choice in the case of a tie).
Charming: 1/session you may improve the disposition of a non-adversary NPC by 5.
Practiced Haggle: If you spend an AD on a Haggle check and the check still fails, you gain your AD back.
Thrifty: Your Prudence rises by 2.

Lothario
You're a master of the arts of seduction, and the bedroom is your battlefield.
Bonus Feat: Repartee Basics
Celebrated: Your Legend rises by 2.
Charming: 1/session you may improve the disposition of a non-adversary NPC by 5
Natural Elegance: Your Appearance bonus increases by 1.
Paired Skills: Each time you gain one or more ranks in Impress, you gain equal ranks in the Bluff skill.

Mentor
A guiding hand, or a stern rebuke. Both are your tools to help others.
Bonus Feat: Co-ordinated Attack
Encouragement: 1/scene you may grant one of your teammates a +1 morale bonus to saving throws.
More than luck: You gain an additional starting AD.
Stand Together: You gain +2 morale bonus to Defense and all saves when at least 2 adjacent characters share a species.

Ninja
Your best work is done in the shadows and discovered in the morning.
Bonus Feat: Ghost Basics
Agile Defense: Your base defense increases by 1.
Extra Trick: You gain the Venom Master trick.
Paired Skills: Each time you gain one or more ranks in Acrobatics, you gain equal ranks in the Athletics skill.
Practiced Sneak: If you spend an AD on a Sneak check and the check still fails, you gain your AD back.

Pressganger
You hit first and they ask questions later.
Bonus Feat: Club Basics
Crunch!: You Strength based damage rolls inflict 1 additional damage.
Extra Trick: You gain the Merciful Strike trick.
Harsh Beating: The Fortitude save DC's of subdual you inflict increase by 4.
Terrifying Look: The Will save DC's of stress damage you inflict increase by 4.

Sailor
You are happiest with your bow to the horizon.
Bonus Feat: Pathfinder Basics (Aquatic)
Linguist: You gain 2 additional languages.
Paired Skills: Each time you gain one or more ranks in Ride, you gain equal ranks in the Athletics skill.
Tenacious Spirit: You gain 1 additional vitality per level.
Water Vehicle Focus. You gain the Ride skill's Water Vehicles focus

Tinker
You are a jack-of-all-trades, and a master of a few more.
Bonus Feat: Well-rounded.
Attribute Training: The lower of your Dexterity or Intelligence increases by 1 (your choice in the case of a tie).
Broad Learning: You gain 2 additional studies.
Crafting focus: You gain 1 Crafting skill focus.
Inquisitive Mind: You gain 2 additional interests.
Sharp Mind: You gain 1 additional skill point per level.

EDIT: For spelling and a change in a trick
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 12:41:11 PM by jameswllorimer » Logged
Big_Jim
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2012, 05:40:29 PM »

Ok... I watched Under Siege at a good-bad movie night recently... So I just had to make this.

COOK
Everybody knows the cook is harmless… until he gets his hands on the knives.
•   Bonus Feat: Knife Basics
•   Attribute Training: The lower of your Dexterity or Intelligence scores increases by 1 (your choice if a tie). Apply this bonus after any modifiers from your Species or Talent.
•   Cooking Focus: You gain the Crafting skill’s Cooking focus.
•   Contagion Sense: You may roll twice when making Fortitude saves prompted by disease and poison, keeping the result you prefer.
•   Edged Proficiency: You gain the Edged proficiency.
•   Field Cookery: You are always considered to have a cook’s kit (see Fantasy Craft, page 159).
Bill Whitmore
Mastermind
Control

Woot, I got a new hat! :P

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2012, 05:43:40 PM »

COOK

Or an AA gun.

Don't follow your passion.  Take it with you.

ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!   Ramen.
snake
Handler

Its all in the reflexes !!!!

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2012, 08:35:51 AM »

Some great ideas in this thread.

I've been working on a few Nautical specialties for my FC:Conan campaign and would like to throw them into the pot for comments:

Marine

You are a soldier stationed aboard a ship, ready to repel boarders and kill pirates.

• Bonus feat: Combat Instincts (1.0)
 • Attribute Training: The lower of your Strength or Constitution increases by 1 (your choice in the case of a tie). This bonus is applied after any attribute modifiers from your Species or Talent. (1.0)
 • Extra Proficiency: You gain one extra proficieny. (1.0)
 • Practiced Athletics: If you spend an action die to boost an Athletics check and the check still fails, you gain the action die back after the action is resolved. (2.0)
 •Tenacious Spirit: You gain 1 additional Vitality per level (2.0)

Smuggler

You make your living as a transporter of goods, highly skilled at avoiding tax duties and running the odd blockade or two.

• Bonus feat: Ghost Basics (1.0)
 • Attribute Training: The lower of your Dexterity or Charisma increases by 1 (your choice in the case of a tie). This bonus is applied after any attribute modifiers from your Species or Talent. (1.0)
 • Paired Skills: Bluff and Disguise. Every time you gain skill ranks in Bluff you also gain ranks in Disguise but not beyond your max rank. (2.0)
 • Practiced Sneak: If you spend an action die to boost a Sneak check and the check still fails, you gain the action die back after the action is resolved. (2.0)
 •Skill Focus: You gain the Water Vehicles focus in the Ride Skill (1.0)

I've tried to keep them generic enough for use in different genres eg Fantasy, Pulp, sci-fi.

I was also thinking of creating a Sailor type (Merchant or Naval). I like Mister Andersons Mariner and think it is great for modern of future genres but I was trying to come up with something for Pulp or Fantasy, where the Sailor might pick up more exotic languages etc. Just noticed your Sailor, Jameswllorimer, and that seem to fit the bill more.  Smiley
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 08:38:00 AM by snake » Logged

Lo, there do I see my father. Lo, there do I see my mother.
And my sister and my brother
Lo, there do I see the line of my people Back to the beginning.
Lo, they do call to me.They bid me take my place among them
In the halls of Valhalla Where the brave may live forever !!!
Foghorn
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2012, 09:44:48 AM »

COOK
•   Bonus Feat: Knife Basics

I've worked at a few places where Rage Basics would be a good option here, too
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: