Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 23, 2014, 07:05:41 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  A few new specialties
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: A few new specialties  (Read 5320 times)
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2010, 07:00:01 PM »

Ok.. so the consensus is that Fortunate is too powerful as the bonus feat when coupled with Chance Expert in the Speciality. Doublebond suggested replacing Fortunate with Fortune Favors the Bold as being more daredevil-y. So let's replace it. Now to isn't broken out of the box, but it does encourage the daredevil to be a total chance monkey, which was what I envision a daredevil being to start with. How does that sit with everybody?

Works for me, but... I would look through the feat trees again and see if you can't find something fitting/flavorful/cool that is not from the Chance tree at all. Having Chance tree mastery is going to push folks towards Fortunate all by itself - having any other Chance feat built in means that Fortunate is going to show up granting 4 dice (minimum). Basically, if you can find a feat from another tree it'll put a little more dynamic opposition into the package and pull Chance tree expert + fortunate's fangs just a little bit more and allieviate all concerns I think.

Is there a skill, covert, or basic combat feat that says "indestructible nut-ball" to you Smiley?

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2010, 07:05:08 PM »

/agree. 3 free action dice a session for what...2 build points? Even at d4s, that combo's busted IMO, particularly when you consider More than Luck costs 3 build points and gives 1 starting AD.

Technically it's only 2 extra dice comeing from Chance Tree Expert. The third die is from the feat itself (anyone would get that).

I still think More than Luck is craaazy powerful for only 3 points Smiley. Starting action dice are on a whole different plane than extra action dice in terms of cascading advantage.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 08:14:25 PM by Morgenstern » Logged

Gentry
Powered By Publisher
Control

It's a Trap!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2010, 07:17:20 PM »

Is there a skill, covert, or basic combat feat that says "indestructible nut-ball" to you Smiley?

You might consider the ol' standby, Lightning Reflexes. Or, if you want to be in the vein of doing lots of things at once (or having extra actions to attempt certain things), Surge of Speed, or maybe Contempt.

I'm a secret VAO Control (Shh!)

Check out Wyrmstone for FC Open Source campaigning

Have you joined Knife Rights yet?

Live and game in Flyover Country? Join Tornado Alley Game Guil
Desertpuma
Control

Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2010, 07:51:22 PM »

not necessarily indestructible but what about Gear, Species, style, Terrain, etc

Living Spycraft Masterm
Foghorn
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2010, 12:08:43 AM »

I think Guts would also be a nice non-Chance feat to give a daredevil Specialty. Gives him more survivability and the Cheat Death bonus would probably entice someone to take a few extra risks here and there
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2010, 03:01:43 AM »

And it sounds awesome Smiley.

"That guy's got guts!"

Desertpuma
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2010, 04:27:24 AM »

Depending on how combat oriented he is, Combat Instincts is a solid feat choice. Getting a free attack on an adjacent opponent who misses you in melee or unarmed combat. Why wouldn't you want that?

Living Spycraft Masterm
Big_Jim
Handler

An integral part of any plan for world domination.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2010, 02:29:15 PM »

Hmm. I was thinking Mobility Basics so the daredevil can rush around to get in the most trouble.  Guts is thematically appropriate too, though...
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2010, 08:01:51 PM »

Daredevil
Others merely take risks. You embrace them.
•   Bonus Feat: Veteran Adventurer
•   Agile Defense: Your base Defense increases by 1.
•   Chance Expert: You’re considered to have 2 additional Chance feats for any ability based on the number of Chance feats you have.
•   Paired Skills: Each time you gain 1 or more ranks in the Resolve skill, you also gain an equal number of ranks in the Acrobatics skill. This may not increase your Acrobatics skill beyond its maximum rank.
•   Glory-Bound: You may purchase Heroic Renown for 20 Reputation per Rank (see Fantasy Craft, page 187).

Desertpuma
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2010, 08:18:38 PM »

If you wanted to stick to Chance feats, look in the AC. Both Fortune's Fool and Bloodied, Bold, and Resolute work well. Getting a D4 AD when you've suffered a Crit Fail or an Insight bonus based on how much Vitality you are currently at are both good ideas without being overpowering.

Living Spycraft Masterm
Doublebond
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2010, 03:58:58 PM »

Since we're already talking about specialities, anyone mind commenting on some of my own creation?

Glory Seeker

You come from humble beginnings, seeking adventure and fame beyond your wildest dreams!

• Bonus Feat - Fortune Favors The Bold (1)

• Encouragement – 1/scene you may grant a team mate +1 morale bonus with saving throws (1)

• Glory-Bound – You may purchase heroic renown for 20 Reputation per Rank (2)

• Heroism – During dramatic scenes you gain a +1 bonus to all attack and skill checks (1)

• Tenacious Spirit – You gain 1 additional vitality per level. (2)

Hermit

Until recently you lived alone out in the wilderness, contemplating and meditating on the nature of the world.

• Bonus Feat - Depth of Study (1)

• Animal Empathy – the Disposition of non-adversary animals increase by 5 (1)

• Free Hint – 1/session you may request a free hint from the GM If he refuses you gain an AD (1)

• Sharp Mind – you gain 1 additional skill point per level. (2)

• Surival - you gain Survival as an origin skill (1)

• Trackless Step – the DCs of tracking checks to follow your trail increase by 10 (1)

Knight

You are a protector of the people, dedicated to serving king and country.

• Bonus Feat - Greatsword Basics (1)

• Riding Mount Focus: You gain the Ride skill’s riding mount focus. (1)

• Celebrated – Your Legend rises by 2 (2)

• Melee Combat Expert - You’re considered to have 2 additional melee combat feats for any ability based on their number. (1)

• Commissioned - You may purchase military renown for 20 Reputation per Rank (2)

Amnesiac

Your memory of your previous life is fragmented and leaves you with only vague clues as to who you were or what you did. Your past may be unknown, but your future will be of nought but your own making.

• Bonus Feat - I can swim (1)

• More than Luck – You gain an additional starting AD (2)

• Free Hint – Once Per session you may request a free hint from the GM. If he refuses you gain an AD. (1)

• Extra Proficiency – you gain one extra proficiency (1)

• Origin Skill - Choose 1 additional Origin skill (1)

Man are specialties easier than classes.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 04:00:38 PM by Doublebond » Logged
veector
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2010, 05:20:41 PM »

I would just love for all of these to get added to the Fantasy Craft Database.

The intellect of man is forced to choose perfection of the life, or of the work, and if it take the second must refuse a heavenly mansion, raging in the dark.
- William Butler Yeats
Big_Jim
Handler

An integral part of any plan for world domination.

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2010, 08:16:57 PM »

Well, Guts won't fit into Daredevil thanks to it being a species feat and too expensive, but Mr Andersen's suggestion of Veteran Adventurer as the feat and trading out the Practiced Acrobatics for Paired Skills: Resolve/Acrobatics are a good fit and thematically appropriate.

If nobody can shoot any major holes in the balance of this one within the next few days (Say... by Wednesday the 5th) we'll call this one done and ready for the Fantasy Craft Database.

Daredevil
Others merely take risks. You embrace them.
•   Bonus Feat: Veteran Adventurer
•   Agile Defense: Your base Defense increases by 1.
•   Chance Expert: You’re considered to have 2 additional Chance feats for any ability based on the number of Chance feats you have.
•   Paired Skills: Each time you gain 1 or more ranks in the Resolve skill, you also gain an equal number of ranks in the Acrobatics skill. This may not increase your Acrobatics skill beyond its maximum rank.
•   Glory-Bound: You may purchase Heroic Renown for 20 Reputation per Rank (see Fantasy Craft, page 187).
Doublebond
« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2010, 09:01:42 PM »

At the rate veector's going he'll have a higher post count than me by the end of the week, and it's going to consist entirely of plugs for the database Wink

He did manage to anticipate my intent in finally putting up those specialties of mine for review, though.  Smiley
aegis
Fantasy Craft Playtester
Control

A little dab'll do ya.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2011, 01:23:00 AM »

Since we're already talking about specialities, anyone mind commenting on some of my own creation?
'like them all, particularly Amnesiac. Smiley
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: