Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 23, 2014, 11:06:23 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Ten Thousand Bullets
| | |-+  Mastercraft and the Wild West
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mastercraft and the Wild West  (Read 3321 times)
Dace
Recruit

View Profile
« on: December 11, 2010, 03:30:45 PM »

With True Grit only two weeks away am I the only one hoping to be able to do a western game with the Mastercraft system? Or hope beyond hope that a western game would one day be in the works?
Desertpuma
Control

Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 03:53:21 PM »

It could easily be done

Crusader Citadel

Living Spycraft Mastermind Council Member

Crafty For Life!
Coyote0273
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 12:10:31 AM »

It's really just picking Campaign Qualities to fit your mood and restricting gear. You'd have to set weapons typical to the era, which is likely the most difficult part, but beyond that, no different than a typical Spycraft setting.
glimmerrat
Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 01:51:41 AM »

That's an interesting idea... Pinkertons, Texas Rangers and the like.

VAO Control; Crafty Freelancer; Freethinker

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 02:01:41 AM »

I converted some ranged combat feats from Spycraft to Fantasy Craft and threw together some weapons and ran a Wild West game - had no problems at all with it.  I'm actually looking at revisiting the idea soonish, and I'll post what I come up with.
Desertpuma
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2010, 04:54:31 AM »

I think it is something that the Crafty needs to look at down the road. You could also, once Spellbound arrives, do a Crafty version of Deadlands if you really wanted to.

Crusader Citadel

Crafty For Life!
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2010, 07:24:58 AM »

I think it is something that the Crafty needs to look at down the road. You could also, once Spellbound arrives, do a Crafty version of Deadlands if you really wanted to.

My game actually ended being more like Deadlands because my players have a problem removing the idea of magic from a game with the word Fantasy in the title.  No problems with just the one book, but even easier with Spellbound.  I think if 10kB/SC3 have some less advanced firearms and feats in them it'll be a snap to run in the future - if not, it might make a reasonable bag full of guns product / forum endeavour.
snake
Handler

Its all in the reflexes !!!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2010, 01:48:54 PM »

With True Grit only two weeks away am I the only one hoping to be able to do a western game with the Mastercraft system? Or hope beyond hope that a western game would one day be in the works?

I think 10KB would be a good bet for your game. Up till now, when I'd been considering crime-related genres for 10KB I'd been thinking Urban Fantasy, Pulp or Cyberpunk but Wild West is a natural too. Dodge City Bank raids and Stagecoach hold-ups, bushwackers, dedicated Lawmen - perfect. You might be able to wing it with FC but good luck anyway.

Lo, there do I see my father. Lo, there do I see my mother.
And my sister and my brother
Lo, there do I see the line of my people Back to the beginning.
Lo, they do call to me.They bid me take my place among them
In the halls of Valhalla Where the brave may live forever !!!
mathey
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 04:12:15 PM »

Between Justified, Winter's Bone, and the fact that there's a Call of Juarez game dealing with the Mexican Drug War coming out, I think it'd be pretty boss to do a modern day western set somewhere in the Deep South or in the Southwest. Lord knows there's lots of hooks to be found for federal agents and marshals that parallel the sorts of things Old West lawmen might get up to.
Desertpuma
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 07:26:22 PM »

You could certainly do a US border town set up and see it turn into a shooting gallery.

Crusader Citadel

Crafty For Life!
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, 07:29:47 PM »

Between Justified, Winter's Bone, and the fact that there's a Call of Juarez game dealing with the Mexican Drug War coming out, I think it'd be pretty boss to do a modern day western set somewhere in the Deep South or in the Southwest. Lord knows there's lots of hooks to be found for federal agents and marshals that parallel the sorts of things Old West lawmen might get up to.
Tell firearm dealers to sell those dozen rifles to the dude the dealers says gives him a shady vibe, watch those rifles go south into Mexico, then clam up when one of those rifles is used to kill a Border Patrol agent?

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
Catodon
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2011, 10:57:32 PM »

For a slightly different angle on the Western try the film "The Proposition". Sort of outback western gothic. Gets me thinking about a Australian Horror/Fantasy/Western setting. If I only had more time.

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
Desertpuma
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2011, 11:32:05 PM »

Tell firearm dealers to sell those dozen rifles to the dude the dealers says gives him a shady vibe, watch those rifles go south into Mexico, then clam up when one of those rifles is used to kill a Border Patrol agent?

This already occurs daily in Arizona except for the death of a Border Patrol Agent.

Crusader Citadel

Crafty For Life!
Dace
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2011, 02:02:32 AM »

This seems to be the year of the Western in Hollywood. True Grit, now Rango and later Cowboys and Aliens. That's more old west style fun that I've seen in a long ol`time.
Tegyrius
Fantasy Craft Playtester
Agent

Somebody Else's Problem

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2011, 01:20:37 PM »

This already occurs daily in Arizona except for the death of a Border Patrol Agent.

Google "Operation Gunwalker," "Operation Fast and Furious," and "Agent Brian Terry."

- C.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 02:46:11 PM by Tegyrius » Logged

Clayton A. Oliver Writer of Fortune

And in this moment/I will not run, it is my place to stand
We few shall carry hope/Within our bloodied hands

- The Cruxshadows, Winter Born
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: