Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 02, 2014, 06:37:57 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  how would I stat this NPC "monster"?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: how would I stat this NPC "monster"?  (Read 1101 times)
GlassJaw
Recruit

View Profile
« on: August 29, 2007, 01:35:41 PM »

In my new military horror campaign, one of the main story arcs will involve an alien nano-virus that infects humans.  I want to stat out what happens to those infected.

Basically, there are two levels of infection - the controller and "minion".  The controller retains its ability to think and speak and it can control any minions in close proximity (think like a hivemind). 

The minion is virtually mindless.  It is merely a pawn of its controller.  It can perform simple tasks (guard, carry, attack, pull trigger) but not much more.  It does have increased physical abilities but is immune to any kind of mental manipulation, fear, coercion, etc.

If the controller is killed and the link broken, the minions become mindless killers.  They lose any ability to think or problem solve.  They are not undead but essentially "forget" to eat or sleep and completely ignore pain.  Their controller essentially keeps them "alive" because once the link is broken, they lose any ability to nourish themselves.

I'd like to give them some kind of "berserker" ability once the link is broken as well as something that emulates their savagery when attacking since they don't use weapons.  Even though they are mindless, I don't really think the construct quality applies.

Any thoughts?
Crafty_Alex
Crafty Staff
Control

Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 01:52:32 PM »

From your description, i really would start with the construct NPC quality. This replicates the lack of capacity for mental manipulation or fear, need to eat or sleep, and so on. The fact they take saves as gear is perfectly acceptable to represent the NPC not feeling any pain, only being incapacitated by structural damage. It also allows the NPC to have animal only qualities, such as Attack on Command, etc.

I would also give the NPC a Competence of I no matter what. That will keep them limited to skills they actually posses ranks for (letting them grab Survival if you want them to track, or Tactics if they're natural ambushers, for instance). 

Berserker stuff would be easily set up using the feat (Berserker Basics) quality if you think this is a benefit, or feral if you think it's a detriment. I'd also probably give them the Uncoordinated quality (which is trumped by their controller when he's around) to represent their mindlessness and inability to act on their own.

Desertpuma
Control

Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 01:56:49 PM »

Uncoordinated especially works for being zombified...

Crusader Citadel

Living Spycraft Mastermind Council Member

Crafty For Life!
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

End of the World? Donít believe the hype.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 03:19:58 PM »

Depending on the flavor you want for the controller-less minions, the enraged condition might also be in order.

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games
YouTube: www.youtube.com/craftyhomeoffice

In game terms, reality is b
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 08:42:12 PM »

Atually, I'd give them the removeable (synchronized) quality

mouthymerc
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007, 08:47:20 PM »

Or just give them both Synchronized and Uncoordinated.  It will amount to a +0 XP gain.  When the are controlled, they're synchronized and when they're not, they're uncoordinated.

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
--George Orwell
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: