Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 30, 2014, 11:29:03 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  Planescraft (Planescape with Fantasy Craft)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Planescraft (Planescape with Fantasy Craft)  (Read 13779 times)
Brakk
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2010, 01:07:02 AM »

OK, here are the suggestions for new versions of Circled Feat and Full Experience feats.

Instead of awarding you with extra XP, this version gives you an additional action die which is quite useful if you have feats that rely on the number of your starting action dice.

Full Experience
You always experience life (or unlife) to its fullest.
Prerequisites: Alignment (Mindís Eye/Society of Sensation)
Benefit: Each time you take this feat, you gain one additional action die at the start of the session.

I still feel that the Circled Feat's original concept was (somewhat) useful so instead of once per session, I changed it to work once per scene. The feat doesn't restrict you to swap itself with another feat so when you think of it better, the feat is like a temporary feat slot which allows you to gain and lose a feat depending on your needs for the current scene. Pretty neat IMO

Circled Feat
All things are connected and one cannot gain anything without giving something first.
Prerequisites: Alignment (Ring-givers)
Benefit: Choose one feat you donít have but meet prerequisites for and one you have. Once per scene, you may substitute these two as temporary feats.

What do you think?

EloiseCartwright
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2010, 02:59:16 AM »

Circled still has the problem that you've paid a feat to gain a feat some of the time. It would be more useful if it gave you a choice, but as I read it, it doesn't - I think that's your intention anyway - but it doesn't read that way to me.
The benefit should be more like: Once per scene you may temporarily lose one feat in order to gain 1 temporary feat for the duration of the scene.

Also Full Experience needs the note that you can take it more than once (and I'd probably limit it to no more than twice) if you're allowed to, as by default feats can be taken only once.
Brakk
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2010, 03:19:00 AM »

Circled still has the problem that you've paid a feat to gain a feat some of the time. It would be more useful if it gave you a choice, but as I read it, it doesn't - I think that's your intention anyway - but it doesn't read that way to me.
The benefit should be more like: Once per scene you may temporarily lose one feat in order to gain 1 temporary feat for the duration of the scene.

Exactly. That's what the feat is aiming for. A simple rewording will do the trick, thank you  Smiley

Also Full Experience needs the note that you can take it more than once (and I'd probably limit it to no more than twice) if you're allowed to, as by default feats can be taken only once.

I'll note that but I think there's no need for limiting it to no more than twice. You're spending a feat slot after all to get it. Also remember that most GMs award players with bonus action dice during the game so it doesn't make for such a big difference.

Foghorn
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2010, 09:45:17 PM »

I'm curious as to why you remade the planetouched races (Aasimar, Genasi, Tieflings) instead of using the built-in Heritage feats to accomplish the same result, and leave the character with a broader range of origin options?

Something I played around with in my head that I never actually did anything with on this front was using a Talent that used the appropriate Heritage feat as part of the Talent build. It uses up almost half the Origin to give them that feat, but I thought it might play into the idea of playing a full on planetouched race opposed to another Species that had the influences.
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2010, 01:15:25 AM »

I'm curious as to why you remade the planetouched races (Aasimar, Genasi, Tieflings) instead of using the built-in Heritage feats to accomplish the same result, and leave the character with a broader range of origin options?

Something I played around with in my head that I never actually did anything with on this front was using a Talent that used the appropriate Heritage feat as part of the Talent build. It uses up almost half the Origin to give them that feat, but I thought it might play into the idea of playing a full on planetouched race opposed to another Species that had the influences.

Sounds like an interesting idea.  One I had for planetouched was a sort of "micro origin" set of options, but I could figure out the balance point.  Something like:

Planetouched
Strange Heritage: You gain a bonus feat [from list - Angelic, Devilish, Elemental, etc].
Powerful Blood: You do not gain the bonus feat from your Speciality.

You just kinda tack it onto an existing racial choice.  The problem is that the bonus feat is arguably a 2 point advantage - a bonus species feat costs 2 points in Specialities, and the "do not gain the bonus feat" is probably a -1pt advantage, leaving them at a net bonus, unless they take Sorcerer [and while I like Sorcerer, I'm not a fan of forcing a player to take any given option].  There were half a dozen other combo's I was thinking about - like Exemplar [same deal - but the bonus feat must have your race as a pre-req].  So players would be Planetouched Dwarf Miners, or Elven Exemplar Nobles.  Just a small adjustment.
Brakk
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2010, 01:09:21 AM »

So a Planetouched Talent doesn't make you an Outsider but you are still considered a Human I presume? Does that come into play when (for example) an aasimar and a human have a child?

Here's Morgenstern's "basic breeding chart" he came up with when we reviewed this issue

Human x Angel = Human with option to take Angelic Heritage feat (may be supressed)

Human w/ AH x Human = Human or Human with Angelic Heritage feat
Human w/ AH x Human w/ AH = Aasimar
Human w/ AH x Angel = Aasimar (likely to take Angelic Lineage)

Aasimar x Angel = Aasimar (likely to take Angelic Lineage)
Aasimar x Aasimar = Aasimar
Aasimar x Human w/ AH = Aasimar
Aasimar x Human = Aasimar or Human with Angelic Heritage feat
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 01:14:08 AM by Brakk » Logged

Catodon
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2010, 05:58:03 AM »

Sounds like an interesting idea.  One I had for planetouched was a sort of "micro origin" set of options, but I could figure out the balance point.  Something like:

Planetouched
Strange Heritage: You gain a bonus feat [from list - Angelic, Devilish, Elemental, etc].
Powerful Blood: You do not gain the bonus feat from your Speciality.

You just kinda tack it onto an existing racial choice.  The problem is that the bonus feat is arguably a 2 point advantage - a bonus species feat costs 2 points in Specialities, and the "do not gain the bonus feat" is probably a -1pt advantage, leaving them at a net bonus, unless they take Sorcerer [and while I like Sorcerer, I'm not a fan of forcing a player to take any given option].  There were half a dozen other combo's I was thinking about - like Exemplar [same deal - but the bonus feat must have your race as a pre-req].  So players would be Planetouched Dwarf Miners, or Elven Exemplar Nobles.  Just a small adjustment.

"a bonus species feat costs 2 points in Specialities, and the "do not gain the bonus feat" is probably a -1pt advantage, leaving them at a net bonus,"
There is something about the math that I'm not getting. To me remove feat worth 2 is -2 not -1. It could represent the value of being able to freely combine...(but it seems kinda steep).

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2010, 11:52:26 AM »

There is something about the math that I'm not getting. To me remove feat worth 2 is -2 not -1. It could represent the value of being able to freely combine...(but it seems kinda steep).

A bonus species feat is worth 2pts when creating an origin, all others are 1pt.  Since the only origin that comes to mind with a species feat is Sorcerer, all others would be getting a 1pt bonus above and beyond the 7pts - since they only paid 1pt for their bonus feat.

So a Planetouched Talent doesn't make you an Outsider but you are still considered a Human I presume? Does that come into play when (for example) an aasimar and a human have a child?

Depends which option you take - Angelic/Devilish Heritage makes you an Outsider as part of the feat, however Elemental doesn't change your type until Legacy so you'd still be Folk until the second one.  For what it's worth in both cases I'd consider the character a Human in terms of race, just with a portion of something else in their blood [which is how I've always consider Aasimar, Tieflings, etc].  One advantage of my concept is that you can have non-human hybrids [probably need something else to call them] - Angel/Elf, Devil/Troll and so on.  To me, an Aasimar is a Human who has a touch of the Divine.

With regards to breeding - I think it comes down to if the offspring takes an appropriate heritage feat.  I'd say that being the child of an Aasimar and a Human would give you the right to take Angelic Heritage, but I wouldn't force someone to - I'm happy to say the abilities displayed by your ancestors skipped a generation.
Catodon
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2010, 03:00:51 PM »

Another option is that the energies of any plane alter a population of humans living there for generations no cross species breeding needed.

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
the331st
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2010, 12:10:19 PM »

Just finished our first Planescraft adventure, this fan product is by far the coolest and useful thing to come out of an RPG fandom.

Just wanted to say that this has made it into our top 10 RPG product list right under Fantasycraft.
Brakk
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2010, 01:33:20 AM »

Congratulations the331st on your first Planescraft adventure and thanks for the compliments! Smiley
We have more materials in the works that we hope you'll enjoy as much. See you on the forums!

the331st
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2010, 04:02:59 AM »

The GM wanted me to relay that it has some of the most diverse choices and best expressions of the Planescape setting since well the AD&D rules. All of you did a great job, keep me posted (Which is to say I am Stalking this thread). Grin
Dr Peabody
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2011, 07:29:24 PM »

I just wanted you to know that this is pretty much how I found FC, after I saw the doc on Scribd.  After learning about the game system, I'm now that much more excited to try Planescraft.  It's a pretty slick conversion.  Planescape was just about my favorite thing in AD&D, back in the day, and knowing that I can play it again without having to indulge the failings of 2nd ed rules (which I did recently, with a revisit to the Night Below boxed set *facepalm*) is a blessing, I'm sure.

Thanks for all the hard work.  As I dig deeper into the game, I will be sure to post with questions and comments.
Dr Peabody
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2011, 08:33:20 PM »

Actually, I have a question right now.

Keep in mind I'm asking this to make sure I'm grasping your AD&D conversion rules as I read the Planescraft guide.  It might sound like nerdiness but I have been hung up on the NPC rules of FC, in general, over the last few days and I just need to get some clarity.

The Kyton, that horrific chain monster of Baator, is one of hundreds of beasts you've adapted to FC, presumably from the 2nd ed source material (I seem to recall a Kyton in a 1st ed manual but I don't feel too confident about that memory's accuracy).  I assume you used the Planes of Law MC as the specific document.  By chance, I was using that same monster to practice the conversions you wrote up, though I was using the entry from the MC Annual 3.  I just got the full text of Planescraft, yesterday, and I immediately went to the Kyton entry to check my work.  The main discrepancies between our conversions were the omission of the Kyton's chain control power and its Intelligence score.  After a moment of consideration, I took the former to be a means of controlling XP bloat (it already has about six Qualities as a standard character) or that developing an Extraordinary attack for this NPC would be both unnecessary and frustrating (I count at least three upgrades, without including their ability to walk on the chains, as well).  If I really feel like I need that ability written out, I can probably handle it.  But the difference in Int hasn't made sense to me, yet.  My source puts them at a 5, while your version in the PC book gives them an impressive 14.  Does PoL list a different score from which your conversion was made?  I assume you didn't use the 3.X Kyton as a base, anyway, but I don't recall that particular entry.  Is there another Kyton I don't know about?  Or, worse still, do I misunderstand a fundamental aspect of your conversions?

I know the Intelligence thing and your conversion system came up on another thread.  I'm not trying to drag that back out into the open; I'm just trying to see if I get the gist of your conversions, which appear balanced (I haven't played it out, yet), and I'm not working under false assumptions that will yield unsatisfactory versions of monsters which so intimidated and intrigued me and my old Planescape comrades. 
pawsplay