Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 24, 2014, 06:18:05 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  Planescraft (Planescape with Fantasy Craft)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Planescraft (Planescape with Fantasy Craft)  (Read 14897 times)
Brakk
Agent

View Profile
« on: November 16, 2010, 12:18:04 PM »

Greetings planeswalkers!

After months of hard work (and play!), I'm proud to present to you the first, playtest version of Planescraft, featuring the Planescape setting in the Fantasy Craft ruleset.

Go here to claim your copy:
http://www.planescraft.com/web/article.php?Planescraft&n=37

and don't forget to comment and submit ideas for improving the game!

I'd like to thank some people from the forum for their valuable help: Morgenstern, Glimmerrat, and Foghorn.

glimmerrat
Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 12:34:24 PM »

You don't need to thank me - your work and dilligence is nothing short of awe-inspiring.

VAO Control; Crafty Freelancer; Freethinker

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
Crafty_Alex
Crafty Staff
Control

Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 03:45:26 PM »

Wow. Great book. What an effort  Shocked

One thing - you'll want to include that this is a fan supplement and not challenging ownership of other copyrighted material. This will save you a LOT of pain potentially should some corporate type come across your site....

Foghorn
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 03:49:24 PM »

I gotta agree with Glimmerrat, the project was loads of fun to work on and I was glad to. I'm looking forward to looking through the (sorta) finished product!
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 01:02:39 AM »

Amazing effort Brakk.  I sent the link to a friend of mine who is a massive fan of planescape, and I'm sure he'll love it.
Wolfx
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 02:52:19 AM »

I don't know if I will ever convince my group to play, but this is an awesome book. As an old Planescape fan, this made me very happy.

Great job
aegis
Fantasy Craft Playtester
Control

A little dab'll do ya.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 04:13:02 AM »

Impressive! I am doubtlessly going to use this!  Smiley
Catodon
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 04:19:05 AM »

Yay!
Yeh, I know I've always been for building my own worlds just the way I like 'em but Planerscape is A) great, B) big enough to stuff in a lot of your own ideas. After just a quick look this looks as good as I'd hoped!

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
tenebrae
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2010, 05:52:37 AM »

Just a few comments:

I'm curious as to why you remade the planetouched races (Aasimar, Genasi, Tieflings) instead of using the built-in Heritage feats to accomplish the same result, and leave the character with a broader range of origin options?

The Circled Feat feat doesn't seem to be very useful at all. Why would you spend a feat to be able to have a feat sometimes, instead of just taking the 2nd feat with that slot? It'd seem better if it worked as "Pick one of your feats, and two more feats that you qualify for. Once per session/By spending an action die (whichever seems more fitting) you may swap your existing feat for one of the selected feats. This change is permanent until changed again."
That would fit with both the Unity of Rings (especially if you made the three feats cycle in order) and the Rule of Threes.

The Full Experience feats just seems like a terrible idea, as anything that makes PCs have differing XP totals is frustrating for both the GC and the players.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 06:20:00 AM by tenebrae » Logged
Psion
Control

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2010, 06:51:24 PM »

Cool! Your timing is impeccable. I was just about to embark on a plane-hopping segment of my current FC game. So this will make a nice resource.

I was just thinking myself about how to convert the PS factions to FC, and was considering the way that the idea of Paths line up so neatly with the way Factions worked in 2e. In 2e PS, most PCs were faction members, and got a faction ability. If the Miracles/Beneficient universe quality is in play, all characters with an alignment get the first step upon their path. So all namers get their first ability.

Of course, I recommend you add this to your recommended campaign qualities.  Cool

The Secret Volcano Base: my RPG blog currently discussing Fantasy Craft and Freeport!
Psion
Control

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010, 08:12:05 PM »

Shouldn't animal lords technically lose the animal type? (They no longer abide by the animal limitations.)

I think Einheriar should gain the everlasting quality unless my memory is faltering.

It occurs to me that under 2e rules, many greater fiends had the approximate equivalent of everlasting as well.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 08:17:53 PM by Psion » Logged

The Secret Volcano Base: my RPG blog currently discussing Fantasy Craft and Freeport!
Arntuuri
Crafty n00b

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2010, 12:27:54 PM »

Hello everyone,

Brakk asked me to register and post in this thread so as to inform everyone that he's currently on sick leave taking care of some health issues, and isn't able to respond to your comments, so I'll be playing the advocate for a bit. Smiley For anyone wondering, he should be back around the start of next week.

I've talked to him and forwarded all your input, and he's thrilled his work is getting a positive response. All criticism has been noted and will be addressed soon.

Keep the feedback coming, fellow planeswalkers, it's much appreciated!

Alien Rope Burn
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2010, 05:04:11 PM »

Interesting! I've been running a FC game using an original setting with some Planescape influences here and there. I ran Planescape using 3e for one to two years, and used to write for Planewalker.com. So this is interesting to see!

I think in doing conversions it's better to stay close to FC than worry too much about simulating the original. A lot of those old 2e mechanics were flat-out broken and not really worth replicating in any form. For example, take Entropy Blades. In doing them for FC, I gave them a simple threat increase and a Bane trait for lesser blades. Greater blades would be closer to the original, but things like the old spell-like abilities might be overdoing it.

I recently had the Doomguard in my game, and my quick and dirty solution to represent 'faction powers', magic based on fanatical belief, was just to give them Paths like Chaos or Destruction. Obviously, in a game centering on them, you might want more unique feats or master classes or specialties. I think feats are probably the way to go, with master classes for some like Doomlord.

On first glance, not sure about Planetouched as full-on races. Though that's true to the AD&D 2e version, I think it robs FC of a lot of its versatility in dealing with that kind of concept.
corey_s
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2010, 03:03:29 PM »

This is awesome!

Reading the pdf right now - looks amazing, thanks for the great work!

Brakk
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2010, 02:32:30 AM »

Thanks for the feedback everyone, it is much appreciated.

Posted by: Crafty_Alex    

One thing - you'll want to include that this is a fan supplement and not challenging ownership of other copyrighted material. This will save you a LOT of pain potentially should some corporate type come across your site....

No problem. I covered almost everything with OGL / OGC but will include those footnotes about not challenging ownership.

Posted by: tenebrae    

I'm curious as to why you remade the planetouched races (Aasimar, Genasi, Tieflings) instead of using the built-in Heritage feats to accomplish the same result, and leave the character with a broader range of origin options?

Posted by: Alien Rope Burn    

On first glance, not sure about Planetouched as full-on races. Though that's true to the AD&D 2e version, I think it robs FC of a lot of its versatility in dealing with that kind of concept.

Actually, their first versions were setup to take advantage of the Species feats but there were two reasons I changed that.
First one was to stay as close to the originals as possible. And the second one is to avoid having to force the player to take a 1st-level Species feat.

I'll probably move the current Species to the Appendix and replace them with those earlier FC-friendly versions. That way the GM can decide which ones he would like to use. I think that's for the best.

The Circled Feat feat doesn't seem to be very useful at all. Why would you spend a feat to be able to have a feat sometimes, instead of just taking the 2nd feat with that slot? It'd seem better if it worked as "Pick one of your feats, and two more feats that you qualify for. Once per session/By spending an action die (whichever seems more fitting) you may swap your existing feat for one of the selected feats. This change is permanent until changed again."
That would fit with both the Unity of Rings (especially if you made the three feats cycle in order) and the Rule of Threes.

Oh, I totally agree. That feat's usefulness got lost somewhere. Your suggestion is very good and I'll definitively implement it. It will just have to be different enough from the Seen It All feat. I'll post the new version here for review.

The Full Experience feats just seems like a terrible idea, as anything that makes PCs have differing XP totals is frustrating for both the GC and the players.

Yes, that one is not even useful in the case when GM doesn't award XP at all but just decides when everyone level-up's. I'll post the new version here for review.

Posted by: Psion    

I was just thinking myself about how to convert the PS factions to FC, and was considering the way that the idea of Paths line up so neatly with the way Factions worked in 2e. In 2e PS, most PCs were faction members, and got a faction ability. If the Miracles/Beneficient universe quality is in play, all characters with an alignment get the first step upon their path. So all namers get their first ability.

Of course, I recommend you add this to your recommended campaign qualities.  

I think in doing conversions it's better to stay close to FC than worry too much about simulating the original. A lot of those old 2e mechanics were flat-out broken and not really worth replicating in any form. For example, take Entropy Blades. In doing them for FC, I gave them a simple threat increase and a Bane trait for lesser blades. Greater blades would be closer to the original, but things like the old spell-like abilities might be overdoing it.

I recently had the Doomguard in my game, and my quick and dirty solution to represent 'faction powers', magic based on fanatical belief, was just to give them Paths like Chaos or Destruction. Obviously, in a game centering on them, you might want more unique feats or master classes or specialties. I think feats are probably the way to go, with master classes for some like Doomlord.

At the moment, Alignments, Master Classes, Feats, Paths, Renown, and Favors support the factions so you can really create some interesting faction members.
Thanks for your suggestion on Beneficent Universe, I will add it to the book.

Shouldn't animal lords technically lose the animal type? (They no longer abide by the animal limitations.)

I think Einheriar should gain the everlasting quality unless my memory is faltering.

It occurs to me that under 2e rules, many greater fiends had the approximate equivalent of everlasting as well.

Yes, animal lords should lose the Animal Type and gain the Beast Type. Same thing with warden beasts.

I couldn't find a reference for Einheriar having an ability similar to everlasting. If you could find one, I'll add it.

About greater fiends and everlasting... that is correct but only when they're summoned to the plane other than their own. If you kill a fiend (or any other planar native) on its own plane, it's gone forever. I'll add a note for that under summoning sidebar.

I ran Planescape using 3e for one to two years, and used to write for Planewalker.com. So this is interesting to see!

I wrote for planewalker.com during 2000 and 2001 but didn't like the lack of direction and slowness (which seems to trouble them still).
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 03:02:40 AM by Brakk » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: