Author Topic: Middle Earth PbP, Volume 3 (In Character)  (Read 19144 times)

ahzad

  • Handler
  • *****
  • Posts: 582
    • View Profile
Re: Middle Earth PbP, Volume 3 (In Character)
« Reply #210 on: April 10, 2011, 10:01:33 AM »
Kyan grips the haft of his axe a bit more tightly and says "Guardian it is my right to claim Azrik Aglardrak by the grace of the King of Erebor. If his authority has no sway over you then I shall claim it by the might of my axe and the stoutness of my heart. You do not fill my heart with fear for my companions and I have faced down the dread Nazgul. So bring on your tests and let us get this over with our kinfolk are dying by the dragons fire and claws in the Iron Hills and I have no more time to banter with a talking statue."With that Kyan shifts his weight and prepares for what comes next.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - A. Einstein

glimmerrat

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 3517
  • Iconoclast
    • View Profile
Re: Middle Earth PbP, Volume 3 (In Character)
« Reply #211 on: April 10, 2011, 10:57:43 AM »
The stone dwarf growls "NO MORTAL HAS THE *RIGHT* TO CLAIM AZRIK AGLARDRAK, KING OR NO." It raises both of its hands into a 'ready' position, apparently challenging Kyan to a contest of strength... "NOW, PROVE YOUR MIGHT!"

Spoiler
This is that old game of 'mercy', where you try to force each other to submit. Effectively, we'll run it as a Grapple, with the first one to Pin their opponent winning.

Oh yeah, Ahzad mate, grapple check please, along with action die expenditures and which benefit/s you'll choose should you win.

And despite the description, the statue isn't big enough to be Large  ;)
VAO Control; Crafty Freelancer; Freethinker

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

ahzad

  • Handler
  • *****
  • Posts: 582
    • View Profile
Re: Middle Earth PbP, Volume 3 (In Character)
« Reply #212 on: April 10, 2011, 01:41:06 PM »
Kyan steps up and locks hands with the statue

Spoiler
Athletics check = 24 (1d20+8 = 15+6+3 =24)
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2975346/

Action Dice = 6 +3
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2975348/
http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2975349/

Should I win I guess I will toss the bugger on to his ass.

There is a gap in my rolls for some reason (46 to 48) all I did was hit the back button to change the parameters for the action dice roll. I didn't make any other rolls than the 3, well I made 3 prior to these that all came up errors before the site started to work right for me. So if you would like me to reroll I have no problem doing that again. I want to make sure you think everything is on the up and up and I'm not trying to cheat or nothing. Even with the slow pace, which is kind of nice, I'm really enjoying this pbp and I don't want to muck it up with any suspicions of unfairness.

Now I'm off to work.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - A. Einstein

glimmerrat

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 3517
  • Iconoclast
    • View Profile
Re: Middle Earth PbP, Volume 3 (In Character)
« Reply #213 on: April 11, 2011, 06:43:39 AM »
With a clang of his axe dropping to the ground and a feral snarl, Kyan lunges forward and grabs the stony sentinel's hands. The two stand motionless for a few moments, the only sound that of creaking tendons and grinding teeth. Then, as they take the strain, Kyan forces the statue back a step... and is immediately forced back himself.

Spoiler
You win that check, and the Grapple begins. A second check should be sufficient to determine a winner, so make it count.

Incidentally, there are few people I trust more as part of a PbP, so don't think i'll ever question your honour over something as trivial as a roll of the dice.
VAO Control; Crafty Freelancer; Freethinker

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

Bill Whitmore

  • Mastermind
  • Control
  • *****
  • Posts: 2495
  • Woot, I got a new hat! :P
    • View Profile
Re: Middle Earth PbP, Volume 3 (In Character)
« Reply #214 on: April 11, 2011, 08:17:36 AM »
Gorbo eyes the axe, gauges the distance, then circles the contestants to get a better view while, completely coincidentally, edging slightly closer to the axe.

Actions
While they are matching off in a test of strength, Gorbo is going to maneuver around them.  The goal is to move 5-10 feet per round and position himself 30 feet away from the axe without having the guardian between him and it.  Ideally, I want to be in position to make a single move to the axe without having to tumble through the guardian's area.

He is going to try to make it look like he is more intent on watching the contest.  Unfortunately, Gorbo's +1 to Bluff means anyone who is paying any attention will likely notice what he is really doing.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 09:31:08 AM by Bill Whitmore »
Don't follow your passion.  Take it with you.

ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!   Ramen.

Catodon

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 1946
    • View Profile
    • Gulliver's Trading Company RPG
Re: Middle Earth PbP, Volume 3 (In Character)
« Reply #215 on: April 11, 2011, 02:08:36 PM »
Thurinur lays a comforting hand on Brannadan
Spoiler
Magic Vestment on Branadan
Spellcasting roll
1d20+9=26

Avoids corruption again.
"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1

ahzad

  • Handler
  • *****
  • Posts: 582
    • View Profile
Re: Middle Earth PbP, Volume 3 (In Character)
« Reply #216 on: April 11, 2011, 02:41:59 PM »
Kyan grunts and redoubles his efforts

Spoiler
Athletics check : 31 = 26 + 5
<a href="http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2976986/">1d20+8=26</a>
<a href="http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2976991/">1d6=5</a>

Should I win I will attempt to toss him on his ass again.

I was sure I was going to flub this roll I just had that feeling. I was talking to a mate on the phone when I made it. I shouted yes in his ear then had to explain what the hell I was doing.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - A. Einstein

glimmerrat

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 3517
  • Iconoclast
    • View Profile
Re: Middle Earth PbP, Volume 3 (In Character)
« Reply #217 on: April 13, 2011, 11:57:45 PM »
The two figures spend the next few moments locked in a battle of raw strength. Both shake visibly with the effort, but eventually, slowly, Kyan starts to gain ground. Finally, with a startling crunch, the statue's hands give under Kyans grip and it is forced to its knees. It whispers "I yield."

Once Kyan lets go, the statue stands back up. Dust and fragments of rock fall from its hands, and rather than looking imposing, it now just looks tired, and... old? It looks you all over, stopping on Kyan as it goes down on one knee and bows its head. "You are worthy, good sir. Take this mighty weapon and do great deeds with it." It heavily falls into a sitting position and props itself up against the plinth upon which sits the Lord of all Axes. The warden rushes over to its side, and gently places a hand on its shoulder. The statue adds "My long vigil is over at last, and now I can rest." It smiles, and all of the life appears to go out of it as pieces both small and large begin to fall off it. The warden stands up with a stoic expression and says "Rest well, honoured ancestor."
VAO Control; Crafty Freelancer; Freethinker

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

Catodon

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 1946
    • View Profile
    • Gulliver's Trading Company RPG
Re: Middle Earth PbP, Volume 3 (In Character)
« Reply #218 on: April 14, 2011, 01:21:47 AM »
Lord Gillion falls to one knee and bows his head to pay respects to the ancient spirit now departed.
"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1

Antilles

  • Mastermind
  • Control
  • *****
  • Posts: 3548
  • Do I look like a people person?
    • View Profile
Re: Middle Earth PbP, Volume 3 (In Character)
« Reply #219 on: April 14, 2011, 05:27:02 AM »
Brannadan doesn't know exactly what's going on anymore, but he bows his head in respect as well.
"After all is said and done, more is said than done."
- Aesop
Mortality clarified in a single strike!

ahzad

  • Handler
  • *****
  • Posts: 582
    • View Profile
Re: Middle Earth PbP, Volume 3 (In Character)
« Reply #220 on: April 14, 2011, 10:21:51 AM »
Kyan bows his head in acknowledgement saying"You were a worthy guardian and your deeds will be remembered."He moves over and grasps the axe and lifts it and swings it back and forth a few times testing it's heft"Azrik Aglardrak will be sung of by bards once again. We have great deeds to do with it the kind that haven't been done since my grandfather's time." Kyan moves forward and lays his hand upon the stony shoulder"Rest well in knowing you completed your task with honor."

Turning to his companions Kyan says with a smile"Let us go slay a dragon then."

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - A. Einstein

Bill Whitmore

  • Mastermind
  • Control
  • *****
  • Posts: 2495
  • Woot, I got a new hat! :P
    • View Profile
Re: Middle Earth PbP, Volume 3 (In Character)
« Reply #221 on: April 14, 2011, 02:42:30 PM »
Gorbo looks almost disappointed that he couldn't spring into action with his plan.  But then, his face lightens up into a big grin.

"We be followin' in Bilbo's footsteps!  'e be bein' scared white, this dragon, when 'e be seein' 'obbits with dwarves!"
Don't follow your passion.  Take it with you.

ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!   Ramen.

ahzad

  • Handler
  • *****
  • Posts: 582
    • View Profile
Re: Middle Earth PbP, Volume 3 (In Character)
« Reply #222 on: April 14, 2011, 02:49:19 PM »
Gorbo looks almost disappointed that he couldn't spring into action with his plan.  But then, his face lightens up into a big grin.

"We be followin' in Bilbo's footsteps!  'e be bein' scared white, this dragon, when 'e be seein' 'obbits with dwarves!"
with that Kyan booms out in laughter nearly doubling up"aye master gorbo that he will that he will."
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - A. Einstein

glimmerrat

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 3517
  • Iconoclast
    • View Profile
Re: Middle Earth PbP, Volume 3 (In Character)
« Reply #223 on: April 17, 2011, 01:09:11 AM »
After recovering the axe, you follow your guide back out of the lower deeps. You could swear that... things... watch you from the shadows, and they regard Kyan's axe with a mixture of awe and fear. Eventually you reach warmer, better-lit chambers and you discover that most of the population of the Kingdom Under the Mountain is either preparing weapons and armour, or has already left for Dale.

The warden stayed behind at his little camp, and the few people still here are very busy. Certainly no-one stops to speak to you. If you're going to do anything, you'd better take the initiative, as everyone appears to be too busy to hand out orders.
VAO Control; Crafty Freelancer; Freethinker

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

ahzad

  • Handler
  • *****
  • Posts: 582
    • View Profile
Re: Middle Earth PbP, Volume 3 (In Character)
« Reply #224 on: April 18, 2011, 01:22:00 PM »
Kyan looks around at his friends saying "Well let's grab what provisions we need and rustle up a cart for the the hobbits and me and hit the road. We've got a dragon to slay and I'm aiming to try out this axe on his neck."

Spoiler
I want to find a cart/small wagon to carry myself and the two hobbits along with any provisions (primarily foodstuffs and camping gear) we might need for the trek to the Iron Hills.
Not sure what the rest of you might want or need.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - A. Einstein