Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 28, 2014, 11:45:29 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Play-by-Post
| | |-+  Middle Earth PbP, Volume 3 (In Character)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Middle Earth PbP, Volume 3 (In Character)  (Read 13988 times)
glimmerrat
Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
« on: November 12, 2010, 09:56:56 AM »

Chapter 1: Distant Friends

The years pass slowly as Middle Earth becomes slowly more hostile. Dark things move in the shadows, and specters of the past haunt the dreams of the present. 3001 is a good year, and you are all invited back to the Shire for Bilbo Baggins’s eleventy-first birthday. The celebrations are spectacular, and each of you receives a small gift. You enjoy yourselves so much that you all agree that you should make it a regular event, meeting up once a year to renew your ties of friendship. Kyan volunteers to play host first, and he promises to write to you all to let you know the details.

The following year, you all receive a letter in the mail, brought to you by a ruddy-faced Dwarven courier:

Dear Friends

It is my honor to hold this year’s get together and invite you all to visit the Kingdom-Under-The-Mountain at Erebor for our now annual get-together. As coincidence would have it our celebration takes place on King Dain's 235th birthday, and the King himself would like to invite you to attend the celebrations. Apparently word has traveled about our exploits, and the King would like to hear about the events firsthand rather than from traveling bards and other sources.
I know that after Bilbo's party last year we decided that we should have a smaller private gathering, but being a member of the court word got around that I was planning this little party, and it would be in rather bad form to refuse the King's invitation. I do hope you can attend, as it's been far too long since I've seen you all.

Yours in friendship,
Kyan Addisheg

Checking your maps, you see that logically you should aim to reach the town of Dale, just south of the Lonely Mountain, a day or two before the date of the meet. Better get packing – it’s a long journey.

(click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 12:41:54 PM by glimmerrat » Logged

VAO Control; Crafty Freelancer; Freethinker

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
Catodon
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 07:27:01 PM »

(click to show/hide)

Several days before Kyan’s trip a messenger rides to the gates of the Lonely Mountain. “I have a letter to the King Under The Mountain” he announces to the guards of the gate waving a sealed scroll. “Lord Gillion, Thirinir of Lothlorien would meet with King Dain” The letter is taken to the King and word of the impending arrival of an elf from the Golden Wood so far to the South was heard by any at the gate that day.

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
Antilles
Mastermind
Control

Do I look like a people person?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 11:51:09 PM »

Brannadan smiles as he reads the letter. Dale? The Kingdom-Under-The-Mountain? And to visit those sites with his friends! Add some orcs, bandits and a murderous plot or two, and it'd be just like old times. And as the tedium of the Rohirrim courts have grown to an almost intolerable level, he'd almost welcome it. He immediately sends messages to Erkenwulf and Dren, making plans to travel from Rohan together. It's been far too long since Grishild had been given a chance to run free, it would be good to let him chase the horizon for a little while.

A week later...

The journey had been prepared for, the route agreed upon with Erkenwulf and Dren, and the king's permission to leave his court had been granted. In truth he had been looking forward to the trip, as the halls does not seem to be as warm and welcoming as they once were. Perhaps it is merely his imagination, and the time away will clear it up. In any case, farewells are given and the journey begun, as he sets out to meet with his traveling comrades.

The journey to Dale passes without incident...

On the way to Dale, Brannadan has been pointing out notable landmarks and some of the stories attached to them to his traveling companions. It would seem the stalwart warrior has an unexpected appreciation for both history and geography. As they approach the city he whistles in wonder, and remarks to his traveling companions, "So this is the city of Bard the Bowman? It's a sight to behold, sure enough. Though I've no doubt the mountain halls will prove even more wondrous." Riding up to the gates, he informs the guards who they are and where they've come from, and inquires as to where they can stay while they wait for their dwarven friend, Kyan Addisheg.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 11:52:45 PM by Antilles » Logged

"After all is said and done, more is said than done."
- Aesop
Girlfriday
Operative

Proud owner of 2 beautiful sons.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 03:15:33 AM »

When Bella receives Kyan's letter she has a mini party. By party, I mean she eats elevenses. After stuffing herself full of celebratory pie, she has a nice cup of tea and then packs her bags.

Travelling with a trade caravan moving between the Shire and Rohan, she parts company with them near Pellenor Fields. She travels along the old forest road through Mirkwood, completing the journey in one go so that she doesn't have to sleep in the spooky forest.

Eventually when she clears the wood, she makes camp on the banks of the River Running, and then follows it north across the lake of Esgaroth, and into Dale.

When she arrives, she makes a point of booking a room at a nice Inn, and then eating until she feels quite ill...

foproy
Control

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 04:27:10 PM »

Dren arriving home after a trip to Gondor, is approached by a messenger with a letter from Kyan discussing the next get together, he laughs at the futility of trying to lay low and the life of adventuring he had taken up before. it also hits him suddenly how fast time had flown by. life had hardly been dull for Dren over the last year, traveling nearly constantly between Rohan and Gondor, he had hardly noticed the passing. after about 2 days of packing he gets another  letter from Brannadan this time, and sets off to meet with him.

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

Jesus loves you, he died for your sins. Protoman hates you, he died for them twice. - Anonymous
ahzad
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 04:48:10 PM »

Kyan wonders what this gathering will bring while strapping on his gear in preparations to head to Dale. This gathering surely couldn't be as exciting as Bilbo's disappearance at the last one, could it? It will be good to see old friends, and especially the halflings they always make things exciting. I only hope that the King knows what he's in for inviting two of them into the mountain, he'll be lucky if they leave him half the treasury and a bowl of porridge. He chuckles at the thought and pulls on his cloak and heads to Dale.

(click to show/hide)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - A. Einstein
Bill Whitmore
Mastermind
Control

Woot, I got a new hat! :P

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2010, 05:50:55 PM »

"Why is there never bein' enough time?", Gorbo wondered aloud as he left the Shire much later than he originally intended.  Oh well, he may be late, but at least he would have some bit of good news to relate to his friends, having finally tracked down a fugitive from Rohan hiding in the Shire.  The guy had sworn he wouldn't go back to Rohan and he was right.  After he attacked Gorbo, he wouldn't be going back to anywhere, really.  Gorbo never understood why humans thought they could hide in the Shire.  Yes, the hobbits were friendly people and quite apt to take in anyone who seemed even the least bit decent, but humans are so easy to spot if you are actually looking.

Gorbo sighed, puffing gently on his pipe full of Longbottom Weed, bringing his thoughts back to the present and the matter at hand.  "Well, Stot, we be gettin' a late start," Gorbo muttered, scratching Stot's ears, "But bein' between just you an' me, I be thinkin' we can still be beatin' some of them there if we be tryin'.  You bein' up for it?"  And in response Stot leapt forward into a full gallop, carrying a laughing Gorbo on their way towards Bree, Rivendell, and the Misty Mountains.

A wellspring of emotions filled Gorbo; sadness, as always happened when he had to part company with friends like Durgan, Bilbo or Elrond; elation, that he would soon be reunited with some other friends; trepidation, as he had never been this far out of the Shire before; excitement, as he had never been this far our of the Shire before; and disappointment, as often happened when he reached the end of a journey.

"Well, Stot, that must be bein' the Dale up there, looks like we be makin' it.  If we be 'avin' time, we should go an' be seein' the spot where Smaug be fallin' to the ground after Bard be shootin' 'im in the sky.  But I guess we should be findin' the others first.  We be makin' good time, an' we not be bein' as late as I thought we might be."

Don't follow your passion.  Take it with you.

ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!   Ramen.
glimmerrat
Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 04:18:13 AM »

The Bard’s Arrow is a wooden three storey inn that sits half on the banks of the great lake, and half in it. The front of the building, like much of Dale, is propped up on a set of stilts that are sunk into the lake bed. At this time of night, the other side of the lake is barely visible through the mist, and the only real sign that you are in a large settlement is the torchlight that twinkles in the darkness.

Inside the inn it is a different story entirely. A log fire crackles in the stone fireplace, and someone plays a fiddle while people dance, very badly indeed. Still, they seem to be having fun, and it’s a pleasant atmosphere. You all sit around a long table stacked with empty plates and tankards, and you are all quite full and a little tipsy. At a neighboring table, a Gondorian mercenary company called the Free Company of the Black Flag sit drinking. They are loutish and loud, but they’ve already purchased drinks for everyone in the house – twice. Their captain, a bear of a man nearly as big as Brannadan proclaims
“…and then I cut his head off!” It must be the punchline to a bad joke, because the rest of the free men laugh raucously, and one falls off his chair which only elicits more laughter.

Also present is an elf named Gillion. He’s a quiet sort, and his facial expression seems to vacillate between pleasant surprise and polite distaste. Kyan introduces him as a visitor from Lothlorien, and the King is looking forward to meeting him. You haven’t seen each other for a long time, and you have some serious catching up to do.

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
Catodon
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2010, 09:37:54 PM »

(click to show/hide)

In the inn…
The elf looks like a slight youth of twenty. Tall, lean and handsome he is dressed in the flowing grey and silver of the people of the Golden Wood. As he gracefully crosses the room with Kyan he radiates quiet confidence, his striking eyes glide around the room. The eyes on several lasses are on him.

(click to show/hide)
“These are the esteemed fellowship Kyan has spoken so highly of. That the young free races of this Middle Earth can be bound in fellowship is a candle when Shadows are growing. I am Lord Gillion of Caras Galadhon, I am known also as Thurinir” the elf pauses to fix a gaze on each of you in turn. He makes a small smile apparently satisfied that your company is exactly what it claims to be; one of friends.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 10:01:02 PM by Catodon » Logged

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
foproy
Control

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2010, 10:01:08 PM »

dren sits in his chair listening to his companions, discussions, but the whole time his gaze keeps wandering to the men from gondor, most of his time spent in the city he was in disguise, now though he felt more than a little naked.

Jesus loves you, he died for your sins. Protoman hates you, he died for them twice. - Anonymous
ahzad
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2010, 10:02:09 PM »

"Greetings from the Kingdom-Under-The-Mountain master elf!" Kyan says "Kyan Addisheg at your service. Your arrival coincides with the arrival of a group of friends of mine from the Shire & Rohan. I'll take you to the Inn and if you wish you may join us at our table and tomorrow I'll take you all to the Mountain." On the way to the Inn Kyan will talk to the elf about recent rumors of growing darkness, a brief history of our group and what brings them to the Mountain.

At the Inn
"Friends it is good to see you again" Kyan exclaims grasping hands and hugging them "How was the travel here? Not to exciting I hope? Again I apologize for the bigger celebration rather than the smaller one we'd talked of, but how does one refuse a king." Kyan shrugs and reaches for his pint "A toast to dear friends, adventures in the past, and perhaps to ones in the future!"putting gown his pint he reaches for his pipe and fills it.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - A. Einstein
Antilles
Mastermind
Control

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2010, 11:20:41 PM »

Brannadan drops his bags on the ground with a thud and rushes forward with a wide grin on his face, happy to greet his friends and crouching down to give hugs and handshakes to all of them. "Kyan, good to see you! I see the time spend under the mountain has been good to you, you look like you could wrestle a bear with ease. Gorbo, is that a new suit of armor you've got? A reward for your excellent services to both Rohan and the Shire, no doubt. And Bella, I see you've already got the kitchen running on a hobbit timetable. I trust the accommodations are to your liking?"

He offers the elf a respectful nod, before introducing himself to him. "Greetings, Gillion of Caras Galadhon, I am Brannadan Amaranth. I hope our time together under the mountain will be an enjoyable one."
(click to show/hide)

He grabs a pint and raises it in the toast that Kyan offers. "Well said, Kyan, well said." He finishes the pint, order a new one and lights his pipe to smoke with Kyan while waiting for the new drink to arrive.

- Aesop
Catodon
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2010, 11:33:02 PM »

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

"I just do eyes"
Antilles
Mastermind
Control

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2010, 11:49:31 PM »

(click to show/hide)

- Aesop
glimmerrat
Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2010, 02:09:39 AM »

(click to show/hide)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: