Author Topic: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)  (Read 34728 times)

glimmerrat

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 3517
  • Iconoclast
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
« Reply #435 on: July 25, 2011, 05:40:50 AM »
As Hondo watches Frank talk down Elsie and Marcus praises the Lord for a lucky break, Alice zips 50 ft. along the deck, whirring turbo-fans depositing her a cars-length or two from the vertibird in question at the far aft-end of the hangar.

As Alice jogs toward the entry hatch gaping wide-open in the craft's side, she hops over several armored cables and lands with a slap-splash in an inch-deep puddle of a thick, viscous fluid. Pausing to look down at the stuff, the pungent aroma wafts up to her nostrils and the meddlesome mechanic gags on the stench. Behind the row of three vertibirds is a large, familiar-looking plexi-glass tank of some sort. It stretches all the way up to the ceiling, and the top of the tank is open - an exit hatch of some sort is irised open in the ceiling of the hangar, and daylight streams in through it. The bottom few feet of the tank is full of the sticky fluid that is all over the floor, and it has a distinct reddy-pink organic look to it. It looks rather a lot like amniotic fluid...

Wait, didn't Alice see something like this on one of the security feeds? Nah. That one had a great big thingie inside it. This one's empty. Hey, wait a second...


Spoiler: show

Yeah, feel free to check back over private messages and previous posts. The tank has been mentioned on at least 3 previous occasions.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 11:55:13 AM by glimmerrat »
VAO Control; Crafty Freelancer; Freethinker

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

MilitiaJim

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 4775
    • View Profile
    • My lame little LJ
Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
« Reply #436 on: July 25, 2011, 08:54:21 AM »
Alice looked down at the gunk in which she was now standing.  Her nose wrinkled and the dots connected. "Aww sheeeeyit," she muttered before raising her voice almost to a shout. "This is Not Good."

Spoiler: show
So the tank goes all the way up to the ceiling and the open iris is allowing daylight in?  Or is there a gap between the open tank top and the iris?
Also, spot check. 
Active Notice check. Where the eff is that warped, oversized, penguin of doom?
1d20+5 → [19,5] = (24)
"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)

Antilles

  • Mastermind
  • Control
  • *****
  • Posts: 3896
  • Do I look like a people person?
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
« Reply #437 on: July 25, 2011, 10:03:44 AM »
"Good, let's sort this shit out when we're off this ship, yeah? Right now we're running outta time, so let's haul ass, yeah? You too, doc." Frank half pushes, half ushers Emily towards the vertibird. As he passes the civilians, he stops for a moment. "That means you too! You," he points at Annabelle, "grab your kid, you," he points at John, and then at Vlad, "grab him and make sure he follows, and you," he points at Sharon, "grab the feet." As soon as he finishes barking instructions he leans down and puts his arm around the chest of Kate, under her arm and around to her back until he gets a decent grip, then stands up and start dragging her along towards the vertibird.

Spoiler: show

Athletics/Power Lifting to manage to carry/drag Kate without being too slowed down... 1d20+10=23. Excellent, +2 STR for carrying capacity for 1 minute. Hopefully that'll help...
"After all is said and done, more is said than done."
- Aesop
Mortality clarified in a single strike!

Bill Whitmore

  • Mastermind
  • Control
  • *****
  • Posts: 2545
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
« Reply #438 on: July 26, 2011, 06:47:02 PM »
Marcus assesses the vertibird, hunting for a way to board.  Grabbing what he hopes is the handle to an unlocked door, he tries to open up the vertibird.
Don't follow your passion.  Take it with you.

ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!   Ramen.

glimmerrat

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 3517
  • Iconoclast
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
« Reply #439 on: August 02, 2011, 11:30:07 PM »
While Frank is busy ushering the others after Alice, she hops up into the Vertibird through the side hatch. As she does, she has a fraction of a second to recognise the tell-tale whine of a powering-up plasma weapon off to her left. She *barely* ducks a plasma bolt that whizzes overhead, raising her weapon in response as the Ark's Captain  stands up from behind the pilot's chair, a plasma pistol in each hand! "Savages! Get off my ship!"

Spoiler: show

Just so that we're clear on what just happened: the captain was going to ambush Alice. He failed, but didn't roll an error. I imagine that this will be over fairly quickly, so here's initiative for the combatants. The rest of the party will arrive on round 3 and 4.

Alice 20 (WP 13/13, VP 3/27)
Captain 15 (appears uninjured)

Round 1

ACTIONS PLEASE!
VAO Control; Crafty Freelancer; Freethinker

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

MilitiaJim

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 4775
    • View Profile
    • My lame little LJ
Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
« Reply #440 on: August 03, 2011, 06:43:30 AM »
"Savage?"  Alice asked loudly, her voice rising in pitch and volume.  "Savage?" she shouted as she stalked through the vertibird. "Who are you calling a savage you fascist pig?!  I grew up in a Vault!" Approaching the pilot chair, she set Lady Joan in one of the rifle racks and stared into his eyes. 

[Spoiler]Total defense.  Methinks that +4 is going to come right in handy.

Plus Alice probably looks "slightly" insane, what with the jet pack, armor, and dress.

P.S.  How tall is the captain?  Alice is not so tall.
"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)

glimmerrat

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 3517
  • Iconoclast
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
« Reply #441 on: August 03, 2011, 11:16:58 AM »
As Alice brazenly walks in front of the Captain and tries to front him out, the Enclave officer pauses... for a good two seconds. His look of anger quickly changes to one of annoyance, and he raises one of his pistols to fire. With startling speed, Alice draws and aims the Red Queen in one fluid motion, levelling it at the Captain. The two stand motionless, staring each other down over the barrels of their guns.

Spoiler: show

Round 1

Alice 20 (WP 13/13, VP 3/27)
Captain 15 (appears uninjured)

Alice takes the Total Defense action.

The Captain attempts to attack Alice; she spend an action die and attempts to initiate a Stand Off as a free action. The reflex save succeeds, and her initiative score decreases by 5.

Alice 15 (WP 13/13, VP 3/27)
Captain 15 (appears uninjured)

Round 2

Alice 15 (WP 13/13, VP 3/27)
Captain 15 (appears uninjured)

Alice and the Captain act simultaneously, making opposed Resolve checks:

Alice: 1d20+5=19 (yikes...)
Captain: 1d20+3=9

The Captain suffers 4 stress damage.

Alice 15 (WP 13/13, VP 3/27)
Captain 15 (appears uninjured) 4 stress

Round 3

The rest of the team arrives!
ACTIONS PLEASE!

« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 11:08:28 PM by glimmerrat »
VAO Control; Crafty Freelancer; Freethinker

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

MilitiaJim

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 4775
    • View Profile
    • My lame little LJ
Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
« Reply #442 on: August 03, 2011, 12:36:44 PM »
Alice silently stared at the captain, letting her Vault perfect physique and the crazed gleam in her eye talk.  After a moment she smiled, displaying a mouth full of teeth that have not suffered two decades of chewing radiated food, and the one gleaming brass replacement canine, a souvenir of the Mr. Handy accident.

Her focus and smile did not change as Marcus entered the Vertibird.

[spoiler]I'll let you keep going with those Resolve checks.   ;D
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 07:19:11 AM by MilitiaJim »
"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)

Bill Whitmore

  • Mastermind
  • Control
  • *****
  • Posts: 2545
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
« Reply #443 on: August 07, 2011, 01:03:28 AM »
Marcus moves towards the Captain and drops into his fighting stance, his eyes narrowing and his face twisting into a scowl.  "There is no where for you to go, sir.  By god, don't do anything stupid, drop your weapon and you may yet salvage something from this operation."

Spoiler:  • show

Marcus was built for this kind of thing!

My resolve is +8.
Stress Threshold is 22.

Half action: Move to within CQB Range.
Half action: Enter the Stand off.
Don't follow your passion.  Take it with you.

ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!   Ramen.

Gentry

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 2866
  • It's a Trap!
    • View Profile
    • Wyrmstone Homepage
Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
« Reply #444 on: August 08, 2011, 02:39:01 PM »
Hondo, behind Marcus, sticks an arm out to bar the rest of the group while Marcus moves up. "Hold up, hold up. There's shit goin' down in the 'bird. Everybody be cool or whatever. Frank, keep an eye out for the big motherfucker that was in the tank, yeah?"

Spoiler: show

As tempting as  it is to dogpile into the standoff, it's just more people rolling which equals more chance of failure. :) So Hondo enters the initiative count, but rather than entering the standoff I'll instead ready an action to shoot the Captain if the current standoff ends in his favor.
I'm a secret VAO Control (Shh!)

Check out Wyrmstone for FC Open Source campaigning

Have you joined Knife Rights yet?

Live and game in Flyover Country? Join Tornado Alley Game Guil

Antilles

  • Mastermind
  • Control
  • *****
  • Posts: 3896
  • Do I look like a people person?
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
« Reply #445 on: August 09, 2011, 03:36:25 PM »
As Franklin approaches the vertibird, he hears the commotion inside, then Hondo's instructions. Cursing to himself, he lowers Katie to the floor in a spot where she shouldn't be hit by any stray rounds from inside the vertibird, then draws his autoaxe while he moves up to cover the rear of the group.

Spoiler: actions • show

Half action to drop Katie gently-ish on the ground, then move behind the others while drawing the autoaxe.
"After all is said and done, more is said than done."
- Aesop
Mortality clarified in a single strike!

glimmerrat

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 3517
  • Iconoclast
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
« Reply #446 on: August 15, 2011, 12:09:30 AM »
Marcus, Alice and the Captain stare each other down, engaged in a tense stand off. The captain has drawn a second plasma pistol and levelled it at Marcus. No-one moves. As the seconds tick by, the deck plating vibrates underfoot, and the stricken vessel is wracked by more explosions.

As Alice and Marcus stand ready to attack, Marcus notices a single bead of sweat trickle down the Captain's brow. It is then, with lightning speed, that Alice taps off a single shot, perfectly slicing through the Captains shoulder and dropping him with a yelp onto his back. The pistols go clattering across the deck, and the Captain falls unconscious as he begins to bleed out.


Spoiler: show

Ok, let's wrap this shit up. Rather than typing out the full results, the Captain lost every roll. He'll choose to be dropped to -1 wounds rather than surrender.
VAO Control; Crafty Freelancer; Freethinker

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

Antilles

  • Mastermind
  • Control
  • *****
  • Posts: 3896
  • Do I look like a people person?
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
« Reply #447 on: August 15, 2011, 02:43:57 AM »
When he hears the shot, Franklin half turns towards the vertibird on instinct before catching himself and turns back to watching the surroundings. Instead he shouts "What happened? Did you get the bastard?"
"After all is said and done, more is said than done."
- Aesop
Mortality clarified in a single strike!

Gentry

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 2866
  • It's a Trap!
    • View Profile
    • Wyrmstone Homepage
Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
« Reply #448 on: August 15, 2011, 05:03:31 PM »
"Yeah, we cool," Hondo shouts. "Everybody get the fuck in!"
I'm a secret VAO Control (Shh!)

Check out Wyrmstone for FC Open Source campaigning

Have you joined Knife Rights yet?

Live and game in Flyover Country? Join Tornado Alley Game Guil

Bill Whitmore

  • Mastermind
  • Control
  • *****
  • Posts: 2545
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout PbP: Giants in the Playground (In Character)
« Reply #449 on: August 16, 2011, 11:48:21 AM »
"You heard him, get your asses on board!," Marcus yells as he moves to the door to help the wounded and unconscious.
Don't follow your passion.  Take it with you.

ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!   Ramen.