Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 24, 2014, 04:42:11 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Spycraft 2.0
| | |-+  Miniatures
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Miniatures  (Read 35149 times)
Crafty_Alex
Crafty Staff
Control

Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: October 26, 2010, 04:25:57 PM »

It's a widely known fact all the Crafty demo figures are selected from Heroclix or Horrorclix lines, chopped off their bases with a sharp knife, then glued to standard 25mm bases for use on standard battlemats. Cheap, easy to replace and you can do 25+ figs in about an hour. if you like.

TheAuldGrump
Control

Because The Cat Told Me To...

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 26, 2010, 09:00:41 PM »

You can buy a ton of zombies in a bag, if you want - I think you get 100 for $10, AND can get them in glow in the dark versions!
It's kind of too bad that they look like crap though.  Undecided

I'll stick with miniatures that can be painted and look good. If I really want them to glow I can get paint for that, too.

The Auld Grump

Only negative to your plan is cost.  Cheesy 

I'm cheap I went for the bag-o-zombies.   Slowly but surely I'll build a collection of the D&D minis for my fantasy game.  Not sure what's best for a more modern game. 
Me, I pre-ordered the zombies at 60 zombies for thirty dollars - and I won't feel ashamed putting them on the table. (I would rather spend the money and get good looking minis than buy a bag o' crappy plastic zombies, no matter how brightly they glow....) Plus, I do fantasy wargaming, so these will see use in multiple games. And it is not hard to flesh it out to 70 zombies, with arms and heads pushing their way out of the earth.

These zombies really are quite nice - especially when ranked up next to the GW zeds. I think that I will use the GW zombies as shambling zombies and these as fast zombies. Enough pieces are missing that I do not think that they would work that well as plague zombies - these guys are definitely dead, not victims of a disease. The ghouls by the same company also look quite good, and can swap parts with the zombies.

Trying the Army Painter colored primers for the first time.... Pale tan-green would not be my first choice, preferring a fleshier color, but it is fast. These zombies aren't wearing a lot in the way of clothes. I may need to try the skin tone primer on the next lot.

Their first use will likely be as feral ghouls in a Fallout game using Spycraft rules. There are few tells to label them as mediaeval or modern, so they can stand in for either.

The Auld Grump

I don't know how the story ends...
But I do know what happens next.
Grimace
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 26, 2010, 09:32:21 PM »

You can buy a ton of zombies in a bag, if you want - I think you get 100 for $10, AND can get them in glow in the dark versions!
It's kind of too bad that they look like crap though.  Undecided

I'll stick with miniatures that can be painted and look good. If I really want them to glow I can get paint for that, too.

The Auld Grump

Only negative to your plan is cost.  Cheesy 

I'm cheap I went for the bag-o-zombies.   Slowly but surely I'll build a collection of the D&D minis for my fantasy game.  Not sure what's best for a more modern game. 
Me, I pre-ordered the zombies at 60 zombies for thirty dollars - and I won't feel ashamed putting them on the table. (I would rather spend the money and get good looking minis than buy a bag o' crappy plastic zombies, no matter how brightly they glow....) Plus, I do fantasy wargaming, so these will see use in multiple games. And it is not hard to flesh it out to 70 zombies, with arms and heads pushing their way out of the earth.

These zombies really are quite nice - especially when ranked up next to the GW zeds. I think that I will use the GW zombies as shambling zombies and these as fast zombies. Enough pieces are missing that I do not think that they would work that well as plague zombies - these guys are definitely dead, not victims of a disease. The ghouls by the same company also look quite good, and can swap parts with the zombies.

Trying the Army Painter colored primers for the first time.... Pale tan-green would not be my first choice, preferring a fleshier color, but it is fast. These zombies aren't wearing a lot in the way of clothes. I may need to try the skin tone primer on the next lot.

Their first use will likely be as feral ghouls in a Fallout game using Spycraft rules. There are few tells to label them as mediaeval or modern, so they can stand in for either.

The Auld Grump

I have a lot more than crappy figures to be ashamed about.  Cheesy

First game session the Wyverns were Modern helicopters on stands.  ROFL!

Grimace
TheAuldGrump
Control

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 26, 2010, 09:51:04 PM »

It's kind of too bad that they look like crap though.  Undecided

The Auld Grump

Only negative to your plan is cost.  Cheesy  

I'm cheap I went for the bag-o-zombies.   Slowly but surely I'll build a collection of the D&D minis for my fantasy game.  Not sure what's best for a more modern game.  

The Auld Grump

I have a lot more than crappy figures to be ashamed about.  Cheesy

First game session the Wyverns were Modern helicopters on stands.  ROFL!
Oi! And fie upon you! Tongue I think that the worst I ever did was using a giant spider miniature as a stand in for a whole lot of critters, back in 1975 or so... Ferocious bear? Use the giant spider. Snarling manticore? Use the giant spider. Dainty unicorn? Use the giant spider. Giant spider? What the heck am I supposed to use for that?! Tongue

Mind you, after 30+ years of gaming I have collected a few more figures since then....

The Auld Grump
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 12:18:00 AM by TheAuldGrump » Logged

Grimace
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 27, 2010, 08:31:04 AM »

Oi! And fie upon you! Tongue I think that the worst I ever did was using a giant spider miniature as a stand in for a whole lot of critters, back in 1975 or so... Ferocious bear? Use the giant spider. Snarling manticore? Use the giant spider. Dainty unicorn? Use the giant spider. Giant spider? What the heck am I supposed to use for that?! Tongue

Mind you, after 30+ years of gaming I have collected a few more figures since then....

The Auld Grump

I need to get me a giant spider, who knew it could be so versatile  Cheesy

Grimace
RusVal
Control

There are no ends. Only new beginnings.

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 27, 2010, 11:45:44 PM »

Of course!  Pranksters have known that for years.  Grin

"Why don't you wear a helmet?  I feel anonymous and disposable..." -VGCats

"What is this, a bad spy movie?!  You two are going to get us all killed!" -Jack Carver, Far Cry
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: October 28, 2010, 08:51:17 AM »

Of course!  Pranksters have known that for years.  Grin
I got spoken to sternly by my battery commander for putting a large wolf spider in my friend's mailbox.  Even second hand, his reaction was worth it.

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
TheAuldGrump
Control

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 06, 2010, 02:00:55 AM »

Be afraid - be very afraid.

Kung Fu School Girls by Eureka Miniatures.

The Auld Grump

RusVal
Control

There are no ends. Only new beginnings.

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 06, 2010, 05:03:44 PM »

The Auld Grump

That would be good for dropping a Gunslinger Girl situation on PC Agents, actually.

Though I don't know how [guns]=[kung fu].  Maybe gunwoo, but that requires a few duel-wielders...

"Why don't you wear a helmet?  I feel anonymous and disposable..." -VGCats

"What is this, a bad spy movie?!  You two are going to get us all killed!" -Jack Carver, Far Cry
TheAuldGrump
Control

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 06, 2010, 09:43:33 PM »

The Auld Grump

That would be good for dropping a Gunslinger Girl situation on PC Agents, actually.

Though I don't know how [guns]=[kung fu].  Maybe gunwoo, but that requires a few duel-wielders...
Heh - the guns are part 2....

Unlike the guns these weren't painted.... *EDIT* Found a picture of the first batch painted on The Miniatures Page, replaced image.

The Auld Grump

« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 03:48:40 AM by TheAuldGrump » Logged

Nepenthe
Control

High Priest of the Cult of Crafty

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 07, 2010, 03:31:53 AM »

Semi-related, I just bought a (fairly) massive pile of GW's new Dark Eldar. I've decided I need a new (male) hobby that doesn't involve the couch. These seem to fit the job pretty well, and I might get some gaming done as I have too (re)lapsed wargamers in the entourage.

Reapercussions
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 07, 2010, 06:15:54 AM »

Looking at those movies makes me think Suckerpunch

Wolverine
Control

I want to smoke a fairy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: December 08, 2010, 12:24:36 AM »

Crooked Dice are coming out with a range of miniatures to go with their upcoming retro espionage game, 7TV. The only miniatures currently available are some minions that do double duty in their Doctor Who range.

Speak of which, they have a selection of familiar looking characters like a young lady in a trenchcoat, another in more casual attire and a group of astronauts and their enigmatic leader.

"Dickhead books?"
 -Patrick Kapera wrestling with the New Zealand accent
TheAuldGrump
Control

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 26, 2011, 01:37:23 AM »

Anyone need some residents for the Esoteric Order of Dagon Hall?

Deep One Hybrids from Rattrap Productions.

The Auld Grump

TheAuldGrump
Control

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 26, 2011, 03:33:46 AM »

fhkmywfy by TheAuldGrump, on Flickr
I rather suspect that the Owl is a Personal Lieutenant, not just an animal companion or a mount....

Going to be fun painting this one up. Smiley

The Auld Grump, I have seen real owls that were smaller. (Well, much smaller, actually.... Elf Owls are tiny)

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: