Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 31, 2014, 12:59:29 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Spycraft 2.0
| | |-+  Miniatures
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Miniatures  (Read 37179 times)
TheAuldGrump
Control

Because The Cat Told Me To...

View Profile
« on: August 25, 2007, 01:57:00 AM »

Hmmm, a subject that has not yet made its way into the new Wiki, but I am feeling too tired at the moment to learn the Joys of Wiki creation. (I just ran a ten hour game... I am beat.)

I started using figures for my 1880s SteamCraft game this week, using the Things That Go Bump in the Night line from Blue Moon Manufacturing. The civilians pack is especially useful, all but two of the agent figures coming from that set.

The PCs include the toff, the woman with placard, and the brawler.

The remaining PCs came from You're Such A Pain in the Neck, a vampire set in the same line.
Beware of Topless Vampire Bimbos

PCs are the portly gentleman with candles, and the gentle lady with lantern and pistol.

I am fairly satisfied with the line, and intend to pick up a few more. These miniaters are intended for use with the Things That Go Bump In The Night skirmish wargame, basic rules are included with the sets, and the scenarios look like they might be fun. Prices are reasonable, in part because the figurines are cast in lead rather than tin. While detail is not as sharp as some of the Reaper line it is quite good enough for my purposes.

The least satisfying miniatures are those of the vampires, with the exception of the Nosferatu styled bloodsucker. The 'vampire bimbos' are a bit over the top (of the dress) for my tastes. I may paint up the nobby vamp as 'Count Pompadouri', should I ever desire to run a comedy/horror game.

The Auld Grump

*EDIT* Changed image to link, added more precise warning.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 03:00:47 AM by TheAuldGrump » Logged

I don't know how the story ends...
But I do know what happens next.
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 02:42:25 AM »

You may want to chage the spoiler text to actually mention teh boobies.

TheAuldGrump
Control

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 02:56:39 AM »

You may want to change the spoiler text to actually mention the boobies.
Done.

If there were photos of individual minis on the Blue Moon website I would be glad to change the pics, and am quite willing to remove the image entirely if requested - Topless the vamps may be, attractive they are not.... They are the second and third worst figures in the set - the vamps did not get the best figures, but the hero figures are excellent. These vampistrumpets are the only risque figures in the line.

The Auld Grump

Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 03:08:11 AM »

They look part Klingon

OverNinja
Control

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2007, 05:45:25 AM »

And probably have the same warm and fuzzy personality.

What's the point on those two? Are they trying to distract you?

"If somebody is worth shooting once, they're worth shooting twice."
"Anyone who trades liberty for security deserves neither liberty nor security."
TheAuldGrump
Control

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2007, 02:05:07 PM »

And probably have the same warm and fuzzy personality.

What's the point on those two? Are they trying to distract you?
I think that they are supposed to represent Dracula's 'brides', I am fairly certain that the third female vampire is supposed to be Lucy Westrena, or the 'Bloofer Lady' from Dracula. Coppola has a great deal to answer for.

The Auld Grump

TheAuldGrump
Control

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2007, 01:43:39 AM »

Also acceptable, but by no means great, miniatures for more modern games are some of the Mega Minis line - roughly a buck apiece. I have the Bureau figures, good for G-Men, Men in Black, and assorted spies, and the civilians pack.

Unfortunately the catalog is getting revamped, so I can't give a link right now. Sad

I have a bad feeling that Mega Miniatures may not be long for this world, they over extended a few years ago, and have been shrinking ever since.

The Auld Grump

Maldroth
Agent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2007, 03:20:40 AM »

when I have more time I'll dig up the links I have for 25mm minis.

I have found a range of Victorian to Pulp to World War II and then many modern versions.

Only disadvantage is its all lead to paint but then that is a fun hobby in and of itself. I know the Crafty guys used some clix figures and essentually rebased them.
Sludig
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2007, 11:19:09 AM »

I actually use a combination of Heroscape figures, and base steel troops from AT-43, Rackham's pre-painted sci-fi mini's game. http://www.rackham-store.com/boutique_us/liste_produits.cfm?type=761&code_lg=lg_us&num=48

Excellent game, and the mini's aren't too bad either. Cheesy
Crafty_Alex
Crafty Staff
Control

Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2007, 05:48:20 PM »

I know the Crafty guys used some clix figures and essentually rebased them.

That's my handiwork Smiley I LOVE figs - one of my favorite parts of the hobby, and honestly, one of my first major attractions to the d20 system. A lot of the older Clix, most Horrorclix, and common Star Wars and D&D minis can be had off eBay or from cons for very little scratch, and when rebased, they look great. I find that the most generic figures (old "normals" from the early HeroClix sets and Horrclix, obscure superheros from Indy Heroclix, minions such as HYDRA, AIM, and SHIELD troopers) are the best, as they are not iconic in any way.

All you need is a bag of GW 25mm round bases, a palette knife, a tube of model airplane filling putty (dries as ceramic), superglue, a cheap brush and bottle of black acrylic paint. Take some bases and squish a line of the ceramic putty into the bottom of the base (you won't have any flock on the top to cover up slop, so this is easiest), using the knife to make the surface even on top. Let it sit overnight to dry. The next day, thin down some black paint about 1:1 paint:water and paint over the putty (it's usually green) and let dry for about an hour. Pry the clix fig off the base using the knife, then add a modest amount of superglue to each foot and stick to the top of the base. Viola! Instant Spycraft mini.

TheAuldGrump
Control

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2007, 02:19:59 AM »

Other filling materials can be used as well as the Squadron green putty. I have used:
Sand mixed with white glue
Acrylic gel medium (not my favorite)
Hot glue from a glue gun (a bit fiddly at first, but fast and neat once mastered)
Wood putty (don't put it on too thick, it will crack)
Spackle (really cheap, easily available, but has to be painted over or it will start to flake.)
Chewing gum
Epoxy putty
Epoxy filler - my current favorite.

The Auld Grump

Slippery_jim_digris
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2007, 09:09:42 AM »

Isn't the green putty a form of epoxy putty?

Dance like it hurts. Make love like you need the money. Work while people are watching.
Wolverine
Control

I want to smoke a fairy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2007, 09:36:45 AM »

If you're talking about products like GW's 'Green Stuff' then, yes, it's an epoxy. You mush the yellow and blue halves together and end up with a delightfully toxic modelling putty that sets in a couple of hours or so.

"Dickhead books?"
 -Patrick Kapera wrestling with the New Zealand accent
Crafty_Alex
Crafty Staff
Control

Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2007, 11:08:29 AM »

TAG caught my meaning - this isn't "green stuff" but rather Squadron Filler Putty.

Maldroth
Agent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2007, 11:27:00 AM »

Squadren Green Putty, it comes in a tube, nice and toxic for that high while moddeling and dries very hard. Good to fill in gaps just as for miniature bases.

Also unless you get a crack in the tube it lasts for practically forever, bought mine 7 years ago and still good...I think the cockroaches have competition for lasting a nuclear blast compared to this stuff.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: