Author Topic: Pele vs. Thunderbird  (Read 3879 times)

Ragnarok

  • Recruit
  • *
  • Posts: 37
    • View Profile
Re: Pele vs. Thunderbird
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2010, 08:44:01 PM »
OOC: Yep, blasting the one spot over and over again, hopefully creating a channel for the lava.  Being the avenging totem of an indian graveyard he thinks this is Pele's place of power.  So if the guardian won't show, attack the place.  Simple, avenging totem logic. ;D

Mister Andersen

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 11924
  • I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know
    • View Profile
Re: Pele vs. Thunderbird
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2010, 10:05:08 PM »
Hidden by the earth, Pele's vapourous moves through the cracks and crevices until she emerges wraith like from a distant fumerole on the other side of the crater from Thunderbird's destructive blasts.

OOC: Double move until she emerges amidst the smoke and vapour on the blue bit at the right of the map

Ragnarok

  • Recruit
  • *
  • Posts: 37
    • View Profile
Re: Pele vs. Thunderbird
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2010, 05:20:05 AM »
Here's Thunderbird's Notice/Search for the round Pele appears.

Notice/Search check (1d20+18=21)

glimmerrat

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 3517
  • Iconoclast
    • View Profile
Re: Pele vs. Thunderbird
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2010, 08:53:00 AM »
"Ok, it appears that Pele has gone back inside the volcano. Could she be conceding the field to her opponent? It looks like it, as the Thunderbird is turning to... no, wait. No, he's scouting the perimeter of the mount. He's convinced that she's still here somewhere!"

Spoiler: show

Given that Pele's on the other side of the mount, i'll rule that you don't spot her.
VAO Control; Crafty Freelancer; Freethinker

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

Mister Andersen

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 11924
  • I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know
    • View Profile
Re: Pele vs. Thunderbird
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2010, 08:55:55 AM »
OOC: Is the shift from incorporeal to physical something that can be done while moving/taking another action?

glimmerrat

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 3517
  • Iconoclast
    • View Profile
Re: Pele vs. Thunderbird
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2010, 09:05:38 AM »
OOC: Is the shift from incorporeal to physical something that can be done while moving/taking another action?

If you make it look cool, yes.
VAO Control; Crafty Freelancer; Freethinker

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

Mister Andersen

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 11924
  • I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know
    • View Profile
Re: Pele vs. Thunderbird
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2010, 09:09:18 AM »
ooc: Basically I'm wanting Pele to bolt up the slope of the volcano, up into the air and bring her glaive down onto Thunderbird's back in an attempt to sever one of his wings.

glimmerrat

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 3517
  • Iconoclast
    • View Profile
Re: Pele vs. Thunderbird
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2010, 09:40:20 AM »
ooc: Basically I'm wanting Pele to bolt up the slope of the volcano, up into the air and bring her glaive down onto Thunderbird's back in an attempt to sever one of his wings.

That'd be a yes
VAO Control; Crafty Freelancer; Freethinker

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

Mister Andersen

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 11924
  • I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know
    • View Profile
Re: Pele vs. Thunderbird
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2010, 10:32:38 AM »
Pele glares up at the summit of her volcano. Although she can't see what the interloper is doing, she can hear and feel it... and it makes her feel very angry indeed! Snarling, the volcano spirit begins moving up the slope of her home, gaining speed and solidity with every stride, her movements occluded by the smoke and the harsh krak-a-tooom! of Thunderbird's despoilments, until she fairly explodes into the air!

A vengeful call echoing from her lips that echoes across the island, she describes a glorious incandescent arc, her glaive scything down visciously at her enemy, its burning blade biting deep into Thunderbird's back!

OOC
Frenzy time.
Full action: Run/shift state.
Half action: Attack: 1d20+29=46 That's a hit -- and an autocrit. Factoring in DR, Thunderbird takes 10d10-5=55 fire damage, directly to his wounds. Assuming he makes his massive damage save, unless he's dumping action dice on the save to make up the difference between that and his max possible Fort save (44), the chances are good that he's just caught fire as well. For his sake, I hope Glim is merciful and decides subsequent fire damage goes to vitality instead of continuing to wounds otherwise the Bird's literally toast.

Yes, I may be gloating just a little
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 10:40:55 AM by Mister Andersen »

Ragnarok

  • Recruit
  • *
  • Posts: 37
    • View Profile
Re: Pele vs. Thunderbird
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2010, 05:20:47 PM »
The blade sinks into Thunderbird's hide, hurting the mighty beast but not disabling him.  With a roar Thunderbird flies at Pele and bites at her several times, following with another lightning bolt.
Spoiler: OOC • show

Thunderbird uses one of his uses of Toughness to ignore the damage from the critical hit.
Thunderbird uses Frenzy to gain an additional half action.

Half Action to Move adjacent (if already adjacent see CONTINGENT)

Half Action from Frenzy is attack action with bite
Bite Attack (1d20+36=44) which hits Pele's Defense of 37 doing Bite (4d8+4=25) points of sonic damage
That was a hit so using the rend special ability he gets another attack
Rending Bite (1d20+36=55) which also hits doing Rending Bite (4d8+4=16) points of sonic damage

Half Action to release a lightning bolt doing Lightning Bolt (10d10=48) points of electricity damage, Reflex save of 30 to take half.

CONTINGENT
If we started out adjacent then Thunderbird will combine the two half actions to take a full action flurry attack (pg235) and then move in a looping circle to come back around adjacent to Pele.  This will mean he'll get his Talon attacks.  I'm assuming Pele didn't get that close since it was unneccessary.


Mister Andersen

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 11924
  • I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know
    • View Profile
Re: Pele vs. Thunderbird
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2010, 10:23:07 AM »
Thunderbird's reprisal is literally deafening, the titanic thundercracks leaving the volcano spirit momentarily oblivious to the sounds of the world. But it doesn't matter, because she doesn't need to hear him to know where her foe is. She can see it, invading her sky, desecrating her home.

It must die! Twirling her glaive, she cuts a long burning gash across the beast's belly.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 08:46:53 PM by Mister Andersen »

Ragnarok

  • Recruit
  • *
  • Posts: 37
    • View Profile
Re: Pele vs. Thunderbird
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2010, 07:48:59 PM »

Spoiler: Clarifying Mechanics • show

I've run this game three times so although I count myself slightly familiar with the rules I'm not an expert.  Can you please explain some of the saves?

The Fort saves of 25 and 16, I follow these, they are the two Fort saves due to Sonic damage to avoid be deafened for d6 rounds.

The Reflex save of 30 is the save to avoid lightning damage.  It is failed so the full 48 points of lightning damage is taken.  I understand that one.

I don't understand the second DC 30 Fort save.  Since it's electricity damage it should trigger a DC 48 Fort save or be sickened for d6 rounds and a DC 24 Fort save to avoid rolling on the Table of Ooch.  I'm assuming she would make the Table of Ooch save first since if she becomes sickened the Ooch save will be at -2, so she makes that one, leaving a Fort Save for the sickened still to be made.  The sickened won't make much difference in her actions, I think Pele'd still hit but it will decrease the damage done by the Glaive to 50.

As for the saves Thunderbird should make I truly don't understand.  Assuming 50 instead of 52 damage, that yields a DC 50 Reflex save or ignite (with dire repercussions).  Since he took over 25 points he will also have to make a DC 25 (half damage) Fort or roll on Table of Ooch.  Since he took 50 points he will also have to make DC 25 (half damage) Fort or die.
 I'll make the saves as soon as y'all let me know I have the DC's right, and Pele makes the neccessary Fort save.
Thanks
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 04:00:25 PM by Ragnarok »

Ragnarok

  • Recruit
  • *
  • Posts: 37
    • View Profile
Re: Pele vs. Thunderbird
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2010, 04:19:57 PM »
Spoiler: mechanics • show

OK, first the DC 47 Reflex
DC 47 Reflex save (1d20+21=40)
So close, I'll spend an action dice d10's I think.
Action die for reflex save (1d10=2)
Darn it .. but Thunderbird ignites with a 42 Reflex save

Now the DC 23 Fort save for critical injury
DC 23 Fort save (1d20+24=27)
He makes it, but I'll wait and see if Mr. Anderson wants to activate a critical failure before posting description.  Stupid Clumsy Monsters.:)


Ragnarok

  • Recruit
  • *
  • Posts: 37
    • View Profile
Re: Pele vs. Thunderbird
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2010, 07:08:54 AM »
The glaive bites deep into Thunderbird's belly, the flames engulfing him.  With a mighty roar he whips back, the draft from his wings almost extinguishing the flames, but to no avail.  Thunderbird dives towards the ground, franticly rolling to put the fire out, trying to compose himself enough to release another titanic discharge into his foe.

Spoiler: mechanics • show

Will Save (1d20+21=37)
Might as well try the Action Dice, otherwise I think this fight is pretty much over
Action Dice (1d10=5)
giving a total of 42.  Failed Will Save

Move Action 80' Fly away from Pele to Ground
Reposition Action Drop Prone and roll to put out fire

If Glimmerat allows he'll try to use frenzy to get one more lightning blast off.  In either case at the start of his next initiative count he'll take 37 Fire Damage.

glimmerrat

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 3517
  • Iconoclast
    • View Profile
Re: Pele vs. Thunderbird
« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2010, 05:03:50 AM »
OOC: Given that these are Kaiju and i've already made one bum ruling, feel free to frenzy to get one last shot off.
VAO Control; Crafty Freelancer; Freethinker

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."