Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 24, 2014, 07:44:16 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  [New Base Class] Maverick
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: [New Base Class] Maverick  (Read 3200 times)
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2010, 07:42:31 AM »

I'd take Random Shot over your 2/11/19 ability, because yours locks me in to basically a single basics/mastery/supremacy chain unless they spend level based feat slots. Random Shot otoh, while requiring level based spending to advance you beyond basics instead allows you to mix it up by adapting to ranged weapons at hand be they guns, knoves, bows or seige engines and better represents the unpredictibility of the class' name.

As a result, Read the Tell as the 2/11/19 ability is a better thematic fit for your desired goal of a social class because it affects more social skills than just the character's propensity for lying and the ability rewards you for remaining in the class by increasing in scope a lot more than Flusher (which actually harms your ability to multi-task as you don't get more skill points to accompany the increase in your rank ceiling)

Snap Judgement treads on the toes of Old Faithful as an ability.

I also can't see why you left out the Edge trick and the Contact ability.

Jake
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2010, 09:38:47 AM »

-- Aint No One Faster: Standard characters may never have an Initiative count equal to or greater than yours. During dramatic scenes, a number of times equal to your Dexterity modifier you may spend an action die to act first during a round, in addition to your actual initiative count.

The Counter-Terrorist in the SC 2.0 handbook has a similar gamebreaker you might want to consider.

Founding member of the 10kBLF (Ten Thousand Bullets Liberation Front).
Khaalis
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2010, 09:44:15 AM »

Thanks M.A.
Points taken. Just as a note though, there are approximately 20 ranged combat feats to choose from (9 Core, 3 from Deadeye, and 8 homebrew {from Crafty Forums}). Of those only 11 are weapon specific chains (3 Bow, 5 Black Powder, 3 Hurled). That leaves 9 other feats (some chained) that aren’t weapon specific. With that said, would you still feel pinned down by the “Heeled Four-Flusher”?

Thanks for the note on Snap Judgment, dropped in favor of your Sudden Clarity trick. For whatever reason, I missed this and Little Black Book when I went through it last time.  LBB is replacing Read the Tell under Cool Hand.

So with that said, we end with...

CORE ABILITY
      Edgy: When your nerves are taut is when you’re often at your most surprising. Every time you suffer stress damage or the shaken condition, you gain 1 edge. Additionally, you receive a 20% discount when purchasing favors.

CLASS ABILITIES
      Flawless Deception: At level 1, each time you fail a Bluff or Prestidigitation check and don’t suffer an error, you still succeed as long as the check DC (or your opponent’s check result) is equal to or less than your Class Level + 20. If several grades of success are possible, you achieve only the lowest possible positive result.
      If you gain this ability for either skill from two or more classes, add together your levels in all classes granting the ability when determining its effect.

Read the Tell I: You know how to trip up others. At level 2, the error range of Bluff, Haggle, Notice, Sense Motive & Tactics checks targeting you increase by 1/3 your class level (rounded up).
- Read the Tell II: At level 11, the error range of those skills instead increases by half your class level (rounded up).
- Read the Tell III: At level 19, checks targeting you with those skills are always considered untrained.

By the Graces Go I:  You’re more focused and luckier than most. At Levels 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 15, 17 and 19, you gain 1 additional Chance or Style feat.

Old Faithful: You've relied on a particular trick to get you out of trouble in the past so often you're very good at it, but familiarity comes at a cost. At level 4, you gain the Mix-Up trick, which you may also choose to apply to the Aim action. Once per scene when using the trick you may choose to reduce the time required by 1 half action, but the error range of the check increases by the Menace level of the adventure when you do.
      At levels, 8, 12, 16 and 20, you may use the trick at reduced time one additional time per scene.

Cool Hand: At levels 6, 9, 12, 15 and 18, you may choose 1 of the following abilities. Each of these abilities may be chosen only once.
•   Am I Bluffing?: You gain a +4 bonus with Distract and Feint actions.

•   Counter Argument: Once per session, you may force an opponent to re-roll a successful Sense Motive check made to oppose your Bluff check. You must spend an action die to re-roll a threat or critical success.

•   Expertise: Choose one: Acrobatics, Athletics, Bluff, Haggle, Impress, Notice, Prestidigitation, Ride, Sense Motive, or Tactics. Taking 10 with this skill doesn’t take twice as long and taking 20 takes only 10 times as long.

•   Hands Where I Can See Them: You gain the following trick.
Hands Where I Can See Them (Threaten trick): Once per round when you have successfully threatened a flatfooted opponent, you inflict precisely 1 point of stress damage and subject them to a successful Disarm action.

•   Little Black Book: Once per adventure, you may summon any contact you or your party has access to for an additional scene without incurring a Reputation cost. You may target a contact who has already appeared during the adventure.

•   Professional Gambler: Your Panache increases by 2.

•   Random Shot: Once per session as a full action you may spend an action die to gain a temporary Ranged Combat feat. While you must possess any prior feat in the chain, you do not need to meet any other prerequisites. You benefit from this feat for 1 scene + an additional scene for every further action die spent.

•   Successful Gambler: Your Legend increases by 2.

•   Sudden Clarity: You gain the following trick.
Sudden Clarity (Initiative trick): You may spend 3 Edge to lose their choice of one of the baffled, enraged, frightened, shaken or stunned conditions.

The Drop: It just doesn't go the way they plan. At level 10, once per scene when an opponent targets you with a successful Ambush check, you and your team receives the benefit instead of them.
      At level 20, when using this ability, your team is considered to benefit from a critical success with a number of sneak attack dice equal to your charisma modifier. Further, the opponents cannot lose the flatfooted condition during the surprise round unless they possess a character option permitting them to act during it.

Aint No One Faster: Standard characters may never have an Initiative count equal to or greater than yours. During dramatic scenes, a number of times equal to your Dexterity modifier you may spend an action die to act first during a round, in addition to your actual initiative count.

Thanks.
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2010, 10:30:23 AM »

Quote from: Jake
The Counter-Terrorist in the SC 2.0 handbook has a similar gamebreaker you might want to consider.

I like mine better. While similar to First Strike, No1 also works differently in that its general effect is relative and limited to standard characters, it's specific effect to Dramatic scenes in addition to an action die cost, and there's no shenanigans around the attack. While the Mav does pick up the trick of not removing flatfooted, that happens 6 levels later under restricted conditions.

Still, it may be a tad powerful in comparison, so lets try this version:

Ain't No One Faster: At the start of combat as a free action, you may spend an action die to reset your Initiative count to one greater than that of the standard character with the highest count. During dramatic scenes, a number of times equal to your Dexterity modifier, once a round as a free action you may spend an action die to move yourself to the top of the initiative order for that round only. If more than one person uses this ability in the same round, their actions take place simultaneously.

Thanks M.A.
Points taken. Just as a note though, there are approximately 20 ranged combat feats to choose from (9 Core, 3 from Deadeye, and 8 homebrew {from Crafty Forums}). Of those only 11 are weapon specific chains (3 Bow, 5 Black Powder, 3 Hurled). That leaves 9 other feats (some chained) that aren’t weapon specific. With that said, would you still feel pinned down by the “Heeled Four-Flusher”?

In this case, yes. You're locked staidly into 3 feats -- and in that situation when you lock in one particular feat, the odds are you'll lock in the natural successors to them -- in a class that is as much about unpredictibility as anything else,

Thanks.

No problem, it's what we're here for Smiley

Jake
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2010, 02:47:37 PM »

Still, it may be a tad powerful in comparison

That was why I brought it up but I didn't notice the part about having to spend an action die.

Ain't No One Faster: At the start of combat as a free action, you may spend an action die to reset your Initiative count to one greater than that of the standard character with the highest count. During dramatic scenes, a number of times equal to your Dexterity modifier, once a round as a free action you may spend an action die to move yourself to the top of the initiative order for that round only. If more than one person uses this ability in the same round, their actions take place simultaneously.

Yeah, nice.

Founding member of the 10kBLF (Ten Thousand Bullets Liberation Front).
Black_Irish
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2010, 02:47:38 PM »

I keep thinking that Sudden Clarity should be folded into Edgy and the reduction in Favor cost slipped into Little Black Book. I like the idea of an earlier "You owe me one", but why gain Edge at the start if you don't have a guaranteed way to spend it?
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: