Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 18, 2014, 09:23:54 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  [New Base Class] Maverick
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: [New Base Class] Maverick  (Read 3239 times)
Khaalis
Operative

View Profile
« on: September 01, 2010, 09:46:52 AM »

Ok, I've taken a stab at doing a new base class. This is inspired by the maverick of FFG's Spellslinger as well as from the Spycraft Fixer and a few other sources.  I am most worried about the theme remaining consistent and the power level of abilities staying within the proper parameters. Obviously the key foci are gambling (bluff/motive), style, luck and skill with sidearms (black powder weapons (or crossbows)). However, I wanted it to be highly mutable, so that there could easily be different focuses of mavericks, that would lead into various different expert classes such as gunslinger (dead-eye), swashbuckler, high roller, etc.

MAVERICK
Since man first learned to tell a lie, there are those who have made an art form out of manipulating others. The maverick exemplifies this, being masters of deceit and gifted confidence men. They excel at face-to-face deception and rely on their poise and charisma as well as their exceptional luck and skill with a sidearm to carry them through most any situation, especially since trouble has an uncanny way of finding them. They are well known to be quick with their wit, tongue and when matters come to it, the fastest guns.
Depending on your campaign, a Maverick could be…
•   A professional gambler and con-artist seeking riches and fame
•   A lawman, trusting to their speed and wit to outdo the criminals they seek to put away
•   A leader of a bandit gang, known for its style and non-violent methods
•   A danger junkie, pulling the biggest cons just for the satisfaction of knowing he can
      Party Role: Talker/Wildcard. Like an assassin, your quit wit and skills at deception gives your party an edge whenever the odds seem stacked against you. However, you rely more on your luck and quickness with a blade than any true fighting skill.

CLASS FEATURES
- Favored Abilities: Charisma, Intelligence, Dexterity
- Class Skills: Acrobatics, Athletics, Bluff, Haggle, Impress, Notice, Prestidigitation, Ride, Sense Motive, Tactics
- Skill Points: 6 + Int modifier per level (×4 at Career Level 1)
- Vitality: 9 + Con modifier per level
- Starting Proficiencies: 3

Level   BAB      Fort   Ref   Will   Def   Init   Lifestyle   Legend   Special
1      +0      +1   +1   +0   +1   +2   +2      +1      Fast Talk, smooth talker
2      +1      +2   +2   +0   +1   +3   +3      +1      Lucky I
3      +1      +2   +2   +1   +2   +4   +3      +2      With Style
4      +2      +2   +2   +1   +2   +5   +4      +2      Read the Tell 1/session
5      +2      +3   +3   +1   +3   +5   +4      +3      By the Graces Go I
6      +3      +3   +3   +2   +4   +6   +5      +3      Cool Hand
7      +3      +4   +4   +2   +4   +7   +5      +4      With Style
8      +4      +4   +4   +2   +5   +8   +6      +4      Read the Tell 2/session
9      +4      +4   +4   +3   +5   +9   +6      +5      By the Graces Go I, Cool Hand
10    +5      +5   +5   +3   +6   +10   +7      +5      Filthy Rich I
11    +5      +5   +5   +3   +7   +10   +7      +6      Lucky II, With Style
12    +6      +6   +6   +4   +7   +11   +8      +6      Read the Tell 3/session, Cool Hand
13    +6      +6   +6   +4   +8   +12   +8      +7      By the Graces Go I
14    +7      +6   +6   +4   +8   +13   +9      +7      Nobody’s Fool
15    +7      +7   +7   +5   +9   +14   +9      +8      With Style, Cool Hand
16    +8      +7   +7   +5   +10   +15   +10   +8      Read the Tell 4/session
17    +8      +8   +8   +5   +10   +15   +10   +9      By the Graces Go I
18    +9      +8   +8   +6   +11   +16   +11   +9      Cool Hand
19    +9      +8   +8   +6   +11   +17   +11   +10    Lucky III, With Style
20    +10      +9   +9   +6   +12   +18   +12   +10   Read the Tell 5/session, Filthy Rich 2

CORE ABILITY

Fast Talk: Once per scene, as a free action, you can spend an action die to improve or worsen a target’s Disposition toward you and each of your allies by 1 grade for the duration of the scene. You cannot target any one character more than once per scene, nor improve any target’s Disposition toward you or any of your allies to better than Supportive.

Smooth Talker: At level 1, each time you fail a Bluff or Impress check and don’t suffer an error, you still succeed as long as the check DC (or your opponent’s check result) is equal to or less than your Class Level + 20. If several grades of success are possible, you achieve only the lowest possible positive result.
   If you gain this ability for either skill from two or more classes, add together your levels in all classes granting the ability when determining its effect.

Lucky I: At Level 2, you gain 1 additional Chance feat and your maximum Bluff rank increases to your Career Level + 6.
   Lucky II: At Level 11, you gain 1 additional Chance feat and your maximum Bluff rank increases to your Career Level + 7.
   Lucky III: At Level 19, you gain 1 additional Chance feat and your maximum Bluff rank increases to your Career Level + 8.

With Style:  You’re polished but dangerous when necessary. At Levels 3, 7, 11, 15 and 19, you gain 1 additional Ranged Combat or Style feat.

By the Graces Go I:  You’re more focused and luckier than most. At Levels 5, 9, 13 and 17, you gain 1 additional Ranged Combat or Chance feat.

Read the Tell: Your uncanny understanding of sentient nature gives you an advantage in combat. At level 4, once per session, you may make an Aim, Anticipate, Distract, Feint or Taunt action as a free action.
   At levels 8, 12, 16 and 20, you may use this ability 1 additional time per session, though you may never use it more than once during a single round.

Cool Hand: At levels 6, 9, 12, 15 and 18, you may choose 1 of the following abilities. Each of these abilities may be chosen only once.
•   Backup: You maintain contact with diverse friends who can help out in a pinch. Once per session, you may call upon a friend to assist you. This friend’s disposition toward you is Supportive and they show up 1d6 hours after being summoned. This ability acts as gaining the Personal Lieutenant feat as a temporary feat until the end of the session.
•   Counter Argument: Once per session, you may force an opponent to re-roll a successful Sense Motive check made to oppose your Bluff check. You may not force an opponent to re-roll a critical success.
•   Expertise: Choose one: Acrobatics, Athletics, Bluff, Haggle, Impress, Notice, Prestidigitation, Ride, Sense Motive, or Tactics. Taking 10 with this skill doesn’t take twice as long and taking 20 takes only 10 times as long.
•   Master Deceiver: Your Charisma score rises by 1.
•   Quick: Your Dexterity score rises by 1.
•   Successful Gambler: Your Panache increases by 2.
•   You Owe Me: You receive a 20% discount when purchasing favors.
•   Am I Bluffing?: You gain a +4 bonus with Distract and Feint actions.

Filthy Rich I: You have made a successful career separating people from their money and don’t mind sharing it with allies. At level 10, at the start of each adventure, your Lifestyle and that of each member of your team increases by 2 until the end of the adventure. This ability may not increase any single character’s Lifestyle by more than 6, no matter how many filthy rich abilities are involved. Further, these additional points may not be liquidated for spending cash, not they may be retained in any fashion beyond the end of the current adventure.
   Filthy Rich II: At level 20, this ability’s Lifestyle bonus increases by an additional 2 (for a total bonus of 4), with the same restrictions.

Nobody’s Fool: You’re a master manipulator who can exploit the machinations of others. At Level 14, when an opponent targets you with an Bluff, Impress, or Intimidate check, their threat range decreases by 2. Finally, if the check fails, you may choose the reaction your opponent sees, if any (this reaction need not be accurate). You may use this ability even when you’re unaware of the skill check.

Thoughts?
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 10:09:32 AM »

Gamebreaker is incredibly weak.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
itinerant
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 10:19:19 AM »

Very cool concept, one that I would like to use.   Smiley

I agree the gamebreaker is very weak.  I also noticed that there is only one Level 2 benefit and all it does is raise the maximum level of ranks by 1.  It doesn't even give any bonus ranks, so it is effectively useless.

Other than those two things, I like very much.
Jake
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 11:44:29 AM »

I like it, reminds me of Setzer from Final Fantasy something.

The Backup ability is incredibly overpowered. I was toying with transferring this to MC the other day and I think the way to go would be something like:

Backup I: You maintain contact with diverse friends who can help out in a pinch. Once per session, you may call upon a friend to assist you. The NPC must be chosen from the Rogue's Gallery with an XP value of 30 or less. His disposition toward you is Friendly and he arrives  1d6 hours after being summoned and leave at end of scene.

Even like this it seems too powerful something in a selectable ability section. Also I'd combine With Style and By Grace Go I, the class already gets Chance feats at 2/11/19 so there is no reason to give more.

The gamebreaker is weak but I really like the class overall. I'm filled with visions of seducing bar maids and chucking razor sharp playing cards.

I also noticed that there is only one Level 2 benefit and all it does is raise the maximum level of ranks by 1.  It doesn't even give any bonus ranks, so it is effectively useless.

Check again, the level 2 ability is perfect.

Founding member of the 10kBLF (Ten Thousand Bullets Liberation Front).
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 12:13:32 PM »

Eh. I think it needs work on a conceptual level: what you're looking for is a class that gives the feel of someone who lives by the skin of their teeth and the seat of their pants, and this class doesn't really give that sort of vibe.

The split with the Codd/Ceven feat arrangement is clunky, and in any event should have Chance rather than Ranged as its common feat type.

Filthy Rich is largely pointless, as lifestyle is predominantly all about downtime, the exact opposite part of the game you're applying it to. The only real advantage is the boost it gives people who put the points into Panache which affects the appearance bonus, and the Courtier've core ability gives the whole party a boost to that so you're arguably stepping on that class' toes.

And as others have mentioned, the gamebreaker isn't.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 12:17:16 PM by Mister Andersen » Logged

Khaalis
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 01:23:21 AM »

Thanks for the replies. For those who just listed what you didn’t like… any suggestions? Especially on the gamebreaker?

Proposed Change Log:

•   Change 'Lucky' to 'Mountebank':  For this change, it changes the reference from Chance feat to Style feat.  This ties in 3 specific style feats to match the flavor of the class, but does away with the need for the split Odd/Even C ability (see below).

•   Combine 'With Style' & 'By the Graces Go I':  This removes the Odd/Even split of the C ability and combines it down to a single C ability focusing on the other 2 prime aspects of the class, ranged combat and chance.
By the Graces Go I:  You’re more focused and luckier than most. At Levels 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 15, 17 and 19, you gain 1 additional Ranged Combat or Chance feat.

•   Drop Backup. Replace with ‘Made you Look’
Made you Look: Once per session, you may substitute a Bluff check while using a Feint action, rather than the normal Prestidigitation.

•   Drop 'Filthy Rich'. Replace with ‘Lady Luck’.
Lady Luck I: At level 10, once per adventure as a free action, you may gain 2 temporary Chance feats that last until the end of the adventure.
Lady Luck II: At level 20, you may use this ability once per session and its benefits last until the end of the scene.

•   Drop 'Nobody’s Fool'. Replace with ‘Never Tell Me The Odds’.
Never Tell me The Odds: You’re a living font of luck and regularly manipulate the odds to your benefit. At Level 14, each time you spend 1 action die to boost a Charisma-based skill check, you roll and add the results of 2 dice (e.g. at Career Level 14, 1d8 becomes 2d8). Additionally, when an opponent targets you with a Bluff, Impress, or Intimidate check, they cannot result in a threat. Lastly, once per session as Initiative is rolled, you may opt to worsen the odds. If you agree, the number of adversaries increases by 1 special NPC or 1 mob of standard NPCs. This is a Perk because the party benefits from extra XP and potentially better treasure as a result (see pages 342 and 344).

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 01:41:19 AM by Khaalis » Logged
Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 01:53:16 AM »

Maverick

1. Edgy, Idle Hands
2. Read the Tell I
3. Grace & Style & A Bit of Luck
4. Old Faithful
5. Grace & Style & A Bit of Luck
6. Cool Hand
7. Grace & Style & A Bit of Luck
8. Old Faithful
9. Cool Hand, Grace & Style & A Bit of Luck
10. The Drop (1/scene)
11. Grace & Style & A Bit of Luck, Read the Tell II
12. Cool Hand, Old Faithful
13. Grace & Style & A Bit of Luck
14. Ain't No One Faster
15. Cool Hand, Grace & Style & A Bit of Luck
16. Old Faithful
17. Grace & Style & A Bit of Luck
18. Cool Hand
19. Grace & Style & A Bit of Luck, Read the Tell III
20. Old Faithful, The Drop (critical)

Edgy: When your nerves are taut is when you're often at your most surprising. Every time you suffer stress damage or the shaken condition, you gain 1 Edge. Further, you receive a 20% discount when purchasing favours.
     Idle Hands: Are the Devil's tools. At level 1, you gain Flawless Bluff & Prestidigitation.
     Read the Tell I: You know how to trip up others. At level 2, the error range of Bluff, Haggle, Notice, Sense Motive & Tactics checks targeting you increase by 1/3 your class level (rounded up).
     Read the Tell II: At level 11, the error range of those skills instead increases by half your class level (rounded up).
     Read the Tell III: At level 19, checks targeting you with those skills are always considered untrained.
     Style & A Bit of Luck: At levels 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 15, 17 & 19 you gain a bonus Chance or Style feat.
     Old Faithful: You've relied on a particular trick to get you out of trouble in the past so often you're very good at it, but familiarity comes at a cost. At level 4, you gain the Mix-Up trick, which you may also choose to apply to the Aim action. Once per scene when using the trick you may choose to reduce the time required by 1 half action, but the error range of the check increases by the Menace level of the adventure when you do.
     At levels 8, 12, 16 & 20, you may apply your Mix-Up trick to another action.
     Cool Hand: At levels 6, 9, 12, 15 and 18, you may choose 1 of the following abilities. Each of these abilities may be chosen only once.
     Am I Bluffing?: You gain a +4 bonus with Distract and Feint actions.
     Counter Argument: Once per session, you may force an opponent to re-roll a successful Sense Motive check made to oppose your Bluff check. You must spend an action die to re-roll a threat or critical success.
     Expertise: Choose one: Acrobatics, Athletics, Bluff, Haggle, Impress, Notice, Prestidigitation, Ride, Sense Motive, or Tactics. Taking 10 with this skill doesn’t take twice as long and taking 20 takes only 10 times as long.
     Hands Where I Can See Them: You gain the following trick.
     Hands Where I Can See Them (Threaten trick): Once per round when you have successfully threatened a flatfooted opponent, you inflict precisely 1 point of stress damage and subject them to a successful disarm action.
     Little Black Book: Once per adventure, you may summon any contact you or your party has access to for an additional scene without incurring a Reputation cost. You may target a contact who has already appeared during the adventure.
     Professional Gambler: Your Panache increases by 2.
     Random Shot: Once per session as a full action you may spend an action die to gain a temporary Ranged Combat feat. While you must possess any prior feat in the chain, you do not need to meet any other prerequisites. You benefit from this feat for 1 scene + an additional scene for every further action die spent.
     Successful Gambler: Your Legend increases by 2.
     Sudden Clarity: You gain the following trick.
     Sudden Clarity (Initiative trick): You may spend 3 Edge to lose their choice of one of the baffled, enraged, frightened, shaken or stunned conditions.
     The Drop: It just doesn't go the way they plan. At level 10, once per scene when an opponent targets you with a successful Ambush check, you and your team mates receive the benefit instead of them.
     At level 20, when using this ability, your team mates are considered to benefit from a critical success with a number of sneak attack dice equal to your charisma modifier. Further, the opponents cannot lose the flatfooted condition during the surprise round unless they possess a character option permiting them to act during it.
     Ain't No One Faster: Standard characters may never have an Inititive count equal to or greater than yours. During dramatic scenes, a number of times equal to your Dexterity modifer you may spend an action die to individually benefit from a surprise round before the normal Initiave order is resolved
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 06:48:13 AM by Mister Andersen » Logged

glimmerrat
Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 03:34:18 AM »

This makes me think of Hucksters from Deadlands. If they had circle of power, they'd be spot on. Not what you were going for; just an observation.

VAO Control; Crafty Freelancer; Freethinker

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 04:29:35 AM »

Quote from: Khaalis
2 prime aspects of the class, ranged combat and chance.

Just allowing a feat choice doesn't make it a prime aspect. Ranged combat remains at best incidental. You need actual class abilities afecting ranged combat

•   Drop Backup. Replace with ‘Made you Look’
Made you Look: Once per session, you may substitute a Bluff check while using a Feint action, rather than the normal Prestidigitation.

Weak, and largely pointless given both are class skills.

Drop 'Nobody’s Fool'. Replace with ‘Never Tell Me The Odds’.
Never Tell me The Odds: You’re a living font of luck and regularly manipulate the odds to your benefit. At Level 14, each time you spend 1 action die to boost a Charisma-based skill check, you roll and add the results of 2 dice (e.g. at Career Level 14, 1d8 becomes 2d8).

That's basically a core ability other classes may have had for some 9 or 13 career levels, and doesn't stack well.

Additionally, when an opponent targets you with a Bluff, Impress, or Intimidate check, they cannot result in a threat.

Feels more like a 10/20 ability

Lastly, once per session as Initiative is rolled, you may opt to worsen the odds. If you agree, the number of adversaries increases by 1 special NPC or 1 mob of standard NPCs. This is a Perk because the party benefits from extra XP and potentially better treasure as a result (see pages 342 and 344).

Yuck. Just yuck. Anything that makes it more likely the GC is going to pwn you is not gamebreaker ability material
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 04:31:14 AM by Mister Andersen » Logged

Khaalis
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 05:20:23 AM »

Thanks for the input Mister Andersen. I have a few comments though.

1)   While I wanted the class to have some skill with ranged weapons beyond just Proficiency, the class was meant to be more a Talker/Wildcard than a Talker/Combatant. However, it appears that your focus is more on combat than out of combat with Edgy (since edge s only used in combat) and Uncanny Dodge as a major focus. Why the rationale for Uncanny Dodge? This just doesn’t seem to fit this style of character.

2)   What is a “Flawless” skill? I don’t find any reference to this in the rules. Is this supposed to be Basic Skill Mastery feat?

Thanks.
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 05:47:19 AM »

2)   What is a “Flawless” skill? I don’t find any reference to this in the rules. Is this supposed to be Basic Skill Mastery feat?

The first level of Explorer and Scout are both examples of "flawless" skills. The term comes from Spycraft where the first example of the mechanic was a class ability called "flawless search". They typically hunt in pairs.

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010, 05:57:59 AM »

Huh. Very first time a Maverick class was propossed long ago it was a psuedo wheelman inspired in part by the Bad Boys movies. I hope this class gets Ride as a class skill Smiley.

At a glance, I'd narrow down the selectable feats to just Chance and Style. Add a floating ranged feat to the list of selectables, and make 'old reliable' the 4/8/12/16/20 with it granting your improved mix-up at each occurance. That gives them some combat punch but makes it real manipulative rather than raw damage.

The edge builder is interesting. I could almost see "You owe me" as (half of) the core ability.

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2010, 06:21:36 AM »

1)   While I wanted the class to have some skill with ranged weapons beyond just Proficiency, the class was meant to be more a Talker/Wildcard than a Talker/Combatant. However, it appears that your focus is more on combat than out of combat with Edgy (since edge s only used in combat) and Uncanny Dodge as a major focus. Why the rationale for Uncanny Dodge? This just doesn’t seem to fit this style of character.

The classes you state you want this to be a stepping stone to are all describable as combat classes, and your build has more than half its options directly applicable to combat.

Edge isn't purely combat -- look at the Chance feats that generate it, you can get it with skill checks -- but the only actual hard-wired relation it has to combat is that Edge counters are reset at the end of it,  so technically you're free to build up to your maximum 5 Edge reserve before the fighting even begins.

There's also absolutely nothing stopping people from using combat actions outside combat. And with the right build, the class can short-circuit combat situations altogether. Think of every time a bad guy has gone into a bath house thinking they've got the hero dead to rights only to discover they could't have been more wrong. That's The Drop. Ain't No One Faster and Old Faithful (Disarm) means you can run across the room and snatch the keys to the death ray out of the NPC's hands before anyone else can do anything, allowing you or someone else the chance to convince them you'r all on the same side. Take an origin granting Menacing Threat and keep that with Keep Your Hands..., and suddenly you've just stopped the big bad's gang from interferring in a confrontation with other characters.

Uncanny Dodge? Fantastic display of Luck in action, and it covers you for situations where things go wrong. Much as Edgy is covering ypu when someone or something is freaking you the hell out.

It's the class of ability such as your Smooth Talker.

Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2010, 06:42:51 AM »

Huh. Very first time a Maverick class was propossed long ago it was a psuedo wheelman inspired in part by the Bad Boys movies. I hope this class gets Ride as a class skill Smiley.

Khaalis has given it Ride as a class skill.

At a glance, I'd narrow down the selectable feats to just Chance and Style.

Agreed.

Add a floating ranged feat to the list of selectables, and make 'old reliable' the 4/8/12/16/20 with it granting your improved mix-up at each occurance. That gives them some combat punch but makes it real manipulative rather than raw damage.

True.

The edge builder is interesting. I could almost see "You owe me" as (half of) the core ability.

Added a trick to Cool Hand to give something to spend the Edge on.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 06:48:48 AM by Mister Andersen » Logged

Khaalis
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2010, 06:52:54 AM »

Ok, I wasn't 100% sure about the Ranged Combat feat placement. It sounded as if you meant 1 Ranged Combat feat (ever) as a choice under "Cool Hand", which seemed a bit weak to me if wanting to keep the concept as "visible" in the class, so I stuck with the Captain Class' 2/11/19 format and made it into "Heeled Four-Flusher" (which effectively means a liar armed with a gun).

How does this version of the class build look now?

CORE ABILITY
-- Edgy: When your nerves are taut is when you’re often at your most surprising. Every time you suffer stress damage or the shaken condition, you gain 1 edge. Additionally, you receive a 20% discount when purchasing favors.

CLASS ABILITIES
-- Flawless Deception: At level 1, each time you fail a Bluff or Prestidigitation check and don’t suffer an error, you still succeed as long as the check DC (or your opponent’s check result) is equal to or less than your Class Level + 20. If several grades of success are possible, you achieve only the lowest possible positive result.
      If you gain this ability for either skill from two or more classes, add together your levels in all classes granting the ability when determining its effect.

-- Heeled Four-Flusher I: At Level 2, you gain 1 additional Ranged Combat feat and your maximum Bluff rank increases to your Career Level + 6.
   Heeled Four-Flusher II: At Level 11, you gain 1 additional Ranged Combat feat and your maximum Bluff rank increases to your Career Level + 7.
   Heeled Four-Flusher III: At Level 19, you gain 1 additional Ranged Combat feat and your maximum Bluff rank increases to your Career Level + 8.

-- By the Graces Go I:  You’re more focused and luckier than most. At Levels 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 15, 17 and 19, you gain 1 additional Chance or Style feat.

-- Old Faithful: You've relied on a particular trick to get you out of trouble in the past so often you're very good at it, but familiarity comes at a cost. At level 4, you gain the Mix-Up trick, which you may also choose to apply to the Aim action. Once per scene when using the trick you may choose to reduce the time required by 1 half action, but the error range of the check increases by the Menace level of the adventure when you do.
      At levels, 8, 12, 16 and 20, you may use the trick at reduced time one additional time per scene.

-- Cool Hand: At levels 6, 9, 12, 15 and 18, you may choose 1 of the following abilities. Each of these abilities may be chosen only once.
•   Am I Bluffing?: You gain a +4 bonus with Distract and Feint actions.

•   Counter Argument: Once per session, you may force an opponent to re-roll a successful Sense Motive check made to oppose your Bluff check. You must spend an action die to re-roll a threat or critical success.

•   Expertise: Choose one: Acrobatics, Athletics, Bluff, Haggle, Impress, Notice, Prestidigitation, Ride, Sense Motive, or Tactics. Taking 10 with this skill doesn’t take twice as long and taking 20 takes only 10 times as long.

•   Hands Where I Can See Them: You gain the following trick.
Hands Where I Can See Them (Threaten trick): Once per round when you have successfully threatened a flatfooted opponent, you inflict precisely 1 point of stress damage and subject them to a successful Disarm action.

•   Professional Gambler: Your Panache increases by 2.

•   Read the Tell: You know how to trip up others. The error range of Bluff, Haggle, Notice, Sense Motive & Tactics checks targeting you increase by 1/3 your class level (rounded up).

•   Snap Judgment: Your edgy nerves and uncanny ability to read others gives you an advantage in combat. Once per session, you may make an Aim, Anticipate, Distract, Feint or Taunt action as a free action.

•   Successful Gambler: Your Legend increases by 2.

-- The Drop: It just doesn't go the way they plan. At level 10, once per scene when an opponent targets you with a successful Ambush check, you and your team receives the benefit instead of them.
      At level 20, when using this ability, your team is considered to benefit from a critical success with a number of sneak attack dice equal to your charisma modifier. Further, the opponents cannot lose the flatfooted condition during the surprise round unless they possess a character option permitting them to act during it.

-- Aint No One Faster: Standard characters may never have an Initiative count equal to or greater than yours. During dramatic scenes, a number of times equal to your Dexterity modifier you may spend an action die to act first during a round, in addition to your actual initiative count.

Thanks for any additional input. You've been a huge help.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: