Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2014, 05:07:05 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  The Red Sonja defence
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Red Sonja defence  (Read 1271 times)
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« on: August 23, 2010, 01:24:54 AM »

Looking in the Wrong Place [Style]
     People fighting you tend to find themselves a little distracted.
     Prerequisites: Charisma 13+, Appearance 1+
     Benefit: When wearing less than partial armour, you gain a Morale bonus to Defence equal to your permanent Appearance modifier up to a maximum of your starting action dice. Also, you may equip Light (soft construction) and Heavy (hard construction) fittings without having to use armour.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 01:53:03 PM by Mister Andersen » Logged

ArawnNox
Handler

GM in Training

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 01:26:15 AM »

That is hilarious and awesome. Should work well with the Beefy Heros quality too. Smiley

Wizard's First Rule: People are stupid.
"A great GM knows how to make sure everyone has fun, and great players know the same." --Patrick Kapera
Arawn's Art: http://arawnnox.deviantart.com
glimmerrat
Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 01:29:47 AM »

You could do a feat in a chain with this that involves bikinis and loin cloths... but then beefy heroes already covers that, doesn't it?

VAO Control; Crafty Freelancer; Freethinker

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 01:34:29 AM »

So Bloodstain Resistant, but with an extra requirement?  Don't get me wrong I consider the no armour requirement a good thing - it's far easier to ramp up appearance in FC.  I've actually been using Bloodstain Resistant as is in FC since release and had no dramas, so I can't see any mechanical problem with this.

The question is - can you upgrade fittings by themselves?  By the book, I'd say yes, but that could lead to some potential balance issues, especially as light fittings are pretty cheap and you could easily stack up a bunch of resistances - the Codpiece of Cold, Fire, Electricity and Divine resistance 4... [pity the man who had to bless it Wink]  It does give me a couple ideas for making a feat chain out of it, but I'll have to check if my idea already exists in the book first.

GURPS has a campaign quality [or their version of it] called Bulletproof Nudity, which is basically exactly what it says on the tin.
aegis
Fantasy Craft Playtester
Control

A little dab'll do ya.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 02:01:54 AM »

Appearance modifier can go sky-high, especially with all the little in-game boosts (Holding wardrobe, bath as a Service, etc.). Specifying "permanent Appearance modifier" might limit this kind of abuse. Otherwise, I love the concept.  Grin
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 02:08:34 AM »

Appearance modifier can go sky-high, especially with all the little in-game boosts (Holding wardrobe, bath as a Service, etc.). Specifying "permanent Appearance modifier" might limit this kind of abuse. Otherwise, I love the concept.  Grin

Very true - my Ogre pro-wrestler managed to attain +4 appearance with a Panache of 0 [he was a heel].  Our groups Elf mage had something insane - like a +7 or 8 most of the time.
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 03:15:10 AM »

You could do a feat in a chain with this that involves bikinis and loin cloths... but then beefy heroes already covers that, doesn't it?

It briefly occured  to me, but it's a joke idea that doesn't really deserve more than the 1 feat. Beefy Heroes applies universally in any event.

So Bloodstain Resistant, but with an extra requirement?  Don't get me wrong I consider the no armour requirement a good thing - it's far easier to ramp up appearance in FC.  I've actually been using Bloodstain Resistant as is in FC since release and had no dramas, so I can't see any mechanical problem with this.

How do you meat the dress according to lifestyle criteria?

The question is - can you upgrade fittings by themselves?

Pg 174: Upgrades may not be applied to fittings.

Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 02:19:25 AM »

So Bloodstain Resistant, but with an extra requirement?  Don't get me wrong I consider the no armour requirement a good thing - it's far easier to ramp up appearance in FC.  I've actually been using Bloodstain Resistant as is in FC since release and had no dramas, so I can't see any mechanical problem with this.

Not disguised as someone with a lesser lifestyle, and not wearing obvious armour unless it also possesses the ornamental Ceremonial upgrade.

The question is - can you upgrade fittings by themselves?

Pg 174: Upgrades may not be applied to fittings.

Thought so - I was without a computer the last few days and a buddy had borrowed my physical book.

EDIT: Was thinking in spycraft terms...
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 10:18:31 PM by Sletchman » Logged
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 04:33:29 PM »

...you gain a Morale bonus to Defence equal to your Appearance modifier or your starting action dice, whichever is less (minimum 1).

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
snake
Handler

Its all in the reflexes !!!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2010, 07:44:06 AM »

Here's the RS defense in action:

http://www.redsonja.net/htmlfiles/

Smiley

Lo, there do I see my father. Lo, there do I see my mother.
And my sister and my brother
Lo, there do I see the line of my people Back to the beginning.
Lo, they do call to me.They bid me take my place among them
In the halls of Valhalla Where the brave may live forever !!!
Blankbeard
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 12:00:33 PM »

^^^
Considering the thread topic, this is crying out for a Bill Clinton joke.
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2010, 04:55:06 PM »

^^^
Considering the thread topic, this is crying out for a Bill Clinton joke.
Cigars and drycleaning bills?

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: