Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 20, 2014, 06:40:19 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  Two feat specialities
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Two feat specialities  (Read 879 times)
Blankbeard
Handler

View Profile
« on: August 30, 2010, 03:03:11 PM »

I'm working on a mastercraft based Mass Effect conversion (well, the parts I'm not stealing from Glimmerrat Smiley ) and I decided to make the various classes specialties because a) there isn't much to them and b) I haven't made classes yet.  Things went swimmingly until I came across the Sentinel.  Their shtick is that they combine biotics and tech powers.  That's pretty much it.  Both are feat based in my conversion.  So it ends up looking like this:
[1] Biotic Basics
[2] Any Gear Feat (Tech feats are in the gear tree)
[4] More than Luck

Note the surcharge.  Is this fair?  Morgenstern used ALL CAPS in the origin creation pages.  Having an extra feat is VERY powerful and gear feats are going to be worth more than they would be in Fantasy Craft.  How broken is this going to be?  Any other ideas for a sentinel?

Here are the other specialties I've worked up:

(click to show/hide)

The general idea is that tech powers simply do something where as biotics are skill based effects.  Here are the gear feats I've written thus far:

(click to show/hide)

Many more to come of course.
EloiseCartwright
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 04:48:38 PM »

I'm set on edge by the speciality granting 2 feats.

I've only played ME1 and didn't get too much into the nuances of the lore.
Alternatives might be to get Tech & Biotics to work together more nicely.

Off the top of my head:
Biotic feats count as Gear feats (or vice-versa) for purposes of abilities (if you grant a Biotic feat with the speciality I'd have Gear feats giving the bonus - encourage folks to take them).
Skill Links (whenever you gain a rank in Biotic use, gain a rank in computers).
Spreading AD (whenever you spend an AD on a Biotic activation you gain 1 AD that can only be used on a Gear feat, or a Computers or Craft roll). This AD is lost at the end of the current scene.
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 06:33:33 PM »

Is the a specialty? One point of concern is that if you have 2 feats in a specialty, the Iconic Specialties drawback goes berserk.

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
Blankbeard
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 06:41:37 PM »

Thanks both of you.  It looks like the best way to handle it is to open up tech powers to anyone and simply give the sentinel one or two.

Yes, I forgot to label the specialty. :/
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 06:43:25 PM »

Several of the tech powers look like proficiencies to me. Costing them at 1 design point in Origins (or as about 1/2 to 1/3 of a feat) might make it easier to get them inot player hands.

Blankbeard
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 06:49:00 PM »

Essentially they are.  I had planned to move the sneak attack dice to the feat itself to make it a bit more than a stance.

Hmm.  Ok, tech powers are largely clever programming.  Anyone can acquire them, so I shouldn't try to restrict them.  Biotics though, are something you are either born with the potential to have or not.  So I will use a gatekeeper feat there. 

I'll work on the Sentinel and see if I can't come up with something interesting.  I guess the Mechanic will just get any gear feat.
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 07:05:04 PM »

Wierd question- if "biotics y/n?" is set by Origin, why make it a feat at all?

Feats tend to be things people can pick up later in play.

Antilles
Mastermind
Control

Do I look like a people person?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 07:10:33 PM »

Here's a thought: Since tech powers are, as you said, largely clever programming, and if sci-fi mastercraft decides to go with some sort of tech use skill, why not tie them together? Maybe make it a focus skill, only instead of focii you pick tech tricks?

"After all is said and done, more is said than done."
- Aesop
Blankbeard
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 07:59:13 PM »

In the Mass Effect universe, any viable fetus exposed to e-zero and showing biotic abilities ends up in the species' biotic training programs.  The exceptions are Asari, who are all biotic, and Commander Sheppard, who can be a biotic if the player chooses but still doesn't seem to know much about how biotics are trained.

So it probably should be an origin option, but I felt that making it a level one only feat opens up the field to Salarian Pirates who wield biotics and other craziness. 

Essentially, it's a Heritage feat without the word heritage.
Here's a thought: Since tech powers are, as you said, largely clever programming, and if sci-fi mastercraft decides to go with some sort of tech use skill, why not tie them together? Maybe make it a focus skill, only instead of focii you pick tech tricks?

My tech skills are mostly Craft and Prestidigitation.  Craft's focuses will have to change somewhat, but I guess they could pull double duty.  Attack type powers will rely on Prestidigitation for their roles.  It's worth thinking about.

Catodon
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 01:52:17 AM »

...some species feats are 1st level only. Maybe the reasoning is similar. I'm not familiar with the source material.

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: