Author Topic: Two feat specialities  (Read 1146 times)

Blankbeard

• Handler
    • View Profile
Two feat specialities
« on: August 30, 2010, 01:03:11 PM »
I'm working on a mastercraft based Mass Effect conversion (well, the parts I'm not stealing from Glimmerrat :) ) and I decided to make the various classes specialties because a) there isn't much to them and b) I haven't made classes yet.  Things went swimmingly until I came across the Sentinel.  Their shtick is that they combine biotics and tech powers.  That's pretty much it.  Both are feat based in my conversion.  So it ends up looking like this:
[1] Biotic Basics
[2] Any Gear Feat (Tech feats are in the gear tree)
[4] More than Luck

Note the surcharge.  Is this fair?  Morgenstern used ALL CAPS in the origin creation pages.  Having an extra feat is VERY powerful and gear feats are going to be worth more than they would be in Fantasy Craft.  How broken is this going to be?  Any other ideas for a sentinel?

Here are the other specialties I've worked up:

Spoiler: show

Adept
   You've been trained to use biotic powers.
[1]Bonus Feat:  Any Biotic Feat
[1] Attribute Training:  The lower of your Constitution or Wisdom scores rises by one.
[1] Biotic Training:  You recieve two addtional training points to spend on biotic powers.
[2] Sharp Mind: You gain one additional skill point per level.
[2] Tenacious Spirit:  You gain one additional vitality point per level.

Agent
   You enforce your nation's laws outside of public scrutiny.
[1] Bonus Feat: Misdirection Basics
[2] Camouflage – Choose a terrain from the following list:aquatic, arctic, caverns/mountains, desert, forest/jungle, indoors/settled, starship, plains, or swamp. You gain +5 gear bonus with Blend checks while in that terrain.
[2] Celebrated:  Your Legend rises by two.
[1] Trackless Step – the DCs of tracking checks to follow your trail increase by 10 .
[1] Unbreakable – Each time you suffer attribute impairment, it decreases by 1 (min 0).

Battlemaster
   One of the rare krogan biotics, you received intensive combat and biotic training.
Requirement:  Krogan
[1] Bonus Feat:  Biotic Basics
[1] Basic Combat Mastery:  You are considered to have an additional two basic combat feats.
[2] Battle Hardened:  You may buy Krogan renown at 20 reputation per rank.
[1] Crunch!:  Your strength based damage rolls gain +1 damage.
[2] Decisive:  You gain a +5 with Initiative checks.

Beserker
   In the grim future of your resumé, there is only war.
[1] Bonus Feat:  Rage Basics
[1] Boomstick:  You inflict an additional 2 points of damage on standard characters when using a shotgun.
[1] Extra Proficiency: You are proficient with shotguns.
[2] Terrifying Look:  The DC of stress damage you inflict rises by 4.
[2] Thick Hide 3:  You are considered to be wearing partial armor with a DR of 3.

Commando
   You take the enemy down before they know you're there.
[1] Bonus Feat: Battlefield Trickery
[1] Extra Proficiency: You are proficient with assault rifles.
[2] Paired Skills:  Whenever you gain a rank in Tactics, you gain a rank in Survival up to your normal limits.
[3] Trap Sense – You may roll twice when making reflex saves prompted by security devices and traps, keeping the result you prefer.

Engineer
     Can we beat them?  Yes we can.
[1] Bonus Feat: Tech Armor
[2} Paired Skills:  Whenever you gain a rank in Crafting, you gain a rank in Resolve up to your normal limits.
[2] Sharp Mind:  You gain one additional skill point per level.
[2] Thrifty: You gain 2 Prudence.

Infiltrator
[1] Bonus Feat:  Tactical Cloak
[1] Extra Proficiency: You are proficient with sniper rifles.
[2] Split Decision – As a full action, you may simultaneously take 2 ready actions, each with separate triggers and reactions. After the first trigger occurs the other ready action is lost.
[3] Favored Foes:   Choose 2 Types: animal, beast, synthetic, horror, ooze, plant, or a Species. Your threat range increases by 2 when attacking and making Notice, Sense Motive, and Survival checks targeting standard characters of the chosen Types. You may choose an additional Type at Career Levels 6, 11, and 16.

Machinist
   You know machines, how to put them together and how to take them apart.
[1] Bonus Feat:  Tech Head (This is currently the tech power entry feat.)
[2] Mech Hunter:  You do an additional 2 points of damage against standard character synthetics
[2] Paired Skills:  Whenever you gain a rank in Craft, you gain a rank in Prestidigitation up to your normal limits.
[2] Turning:  Once per combat, you may turn synthetics.

Medic
[1] Bonus Feat: Bandage
[1] Broad Learning:  You gain two additional Studies.
[1] Doctor's Kit:  You are always considered to have a medical kit.
[1] Encouragement:  Once per scene, you may speak with a teammate for 1 minute to grant them a +1 with saving throws for the rest of the scene.
[3] Step In – 1/combat you may choose to receive all of 1 attack’s damage on an adjacent character. Your DR and resistances apply normally.

Scientist
[1] Bonus Feat: Any Skill Feat
[1] Inquisitive Mind:  You gain two Interests.
[2] Slow and Steady:  Activating your downtime errors costs 2 additional action dice
[1] Free Hint : Once per session, you may request a free hint from the GM, gaining 1 Action Die if refused
[2] Published:  You may buy academic renown for 20 reputation per rank.

Sentinel
[1] Bonus Feat: Biotic Basics
[2] Bonus Feat:  Any Gear feat
[4] More than Luck – You gain an additional starting action die.

Vanguard
[1] Bonus Feat: Biotic Basics
[1] Agile Defense:  Your Defense rises by one.
[1] Crunch!:  Your strength based damage rolls gain +1 damage.
[1] Extra Proficiency: You are proficient with shotguns.
[1] Extra Trick:  You gain the Shove trick.
[2] Fast:  Your ground speed increases by 10 feet.

The general idea is that tech powers simply do something where as biotics are skill based effects.  Here are the gear feats I've written thus far:

Spoiler: show

Combat Drone
   You are capable of creating VI drones to attack your enemies.
Benefit:  You may use your omnitool to create combat drones.  Each drone is a Standard NPC with a TL of your level -4.  Each drone lasts 1 round per level and you may have only one drone active at a time.  Creating a drone is considered a tech power and you may not create a drone if you used a tech power in the previous round.
Combat Drone - Small Construct Flier (XP Value 29) S 10 D 10 C 10 I 10 W 10 Ch 10; SZ S (Reach 1); Speed 50 ft;  Init III, Attk V, Def IV, Res III, Health III, Comp --
Attacks: Shocker (Damage 1d6 electrical per 2 TL )
Tactical Cloak
   You can program your omnitool to bend light around you, leaving you temporarily undetectable.
Benefit:  You gain a stance:
   Cloaked: While in this stance you are immediately become hidden and remain invisible as long as you remain in stance. While in this stance, your attacks gain 2 dice of sneak attack damage.  You may not enter this stance  if you used a tech power in the previous round.  Entering this stance is considered a tech power.

Many more to come of course.

EloiseCartwright

• Operative
    • View Profile
Re: Two feat specialities
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 02:48:38 PM »
I'm set on edge by the speciality granting 2 feats.

I've only played ME1 and didn't get too much into the nuances of the lore.
Alternatives might be to get Tech & Biotics to work together more nicely.

Off the top of my head:
Biotic feats count as Gear feats (or vice-versa) for purposes of abilities (if you grant a Biotic feat with the speciality I'd have Gear feats giving the bonus - encourage folks to take them).
Skill Links (whenever you gain a rank in Biotic use, gain a rank in computers).
Spreading AD (whenever you spend an AD on a Biotic activation you gain 1 AD that can only be used on a Gear feat, or a Computers or Craft roll). This AD is lost at the end of the current scene.

Morgenstern

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 04:33:33 PM »
Is the a specialty? One point of concern is that if you have 2 feats in a specialty, the Iconic Specialties drawback goes berserk.
At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse

Blankbeard

• Handler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 04:41:37 PM »
Thanks both of you.  It looks like the best way to handle it is to open up tech powers to anyone and simply give the sentinel one or two.

Yes, I forgot to label the specialty. :/

Morgenstern

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 04:43:25 PM »
Several of the tech powers look like proficiencies to me. Costing them at 1 design point in Origins (or as about 1/2 to 1/3 of a feat) might make it easier to get them inot player hands.

Blankbeard

• Handler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 04:49:00 PM »
Essentially they are.  I had planned to move the sneak attack dice to the feat itself to make it a bit more than a stance.

Hmm.  Ok, tech powers are largely clever programming.  Anyone can acquire them, so I shouldn't try to restrict them.  Biotics though, are something you are either born with the potential to have or not.  So I will use a gatekeeper feat there. 

I'll work on the Sentinel and see if I can't come up with something interesting.  I guess the Mechanic will just get any gear feat.

Morgenstern

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 05:05:04 PM »
Wierd question- if "biotics y/n?" is set by Origin, why make it a feat at all?

Feats tend to be things people can pick up later in play.

Antilles

• Mastermind
  • Control
  • Do I look like a people person?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 05:10:33 PM »
Here's a thought: Since tech powers are, as you said, largely clever programming, and if sci-fi mastercraft decides to go with some sort of tech use skill, why not tie them together? Maybe make it a focus skill, only instead of focii you pick tech tricks?
"After all is said and done, more is said than done."
- Aesop
Mortality clarified in a single strike!

Blankbeard

• Handler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 05:59:13 PM »

In the Mass Effect universe, any viable fetus exposed to e-zero and showing biotic abilities ends up in the species' biotic training programs.  The exceptions are Asari, who are all biotic, and Commander Sheppard, who can be a biotic if the player chooses but still doesn't seem to know much about how biotics are trained.

So it probably should be an origin option, but I felt that making it a level one only feat opens up the field to Salarian Pirates who wield biotics and other craziness. 

Essentially, it's a Heritage feat without the word heritage.
Here's a thought: Since tech powers are, as you said, largely clever programming, and if sci-fi mastercraft decides to go with some sort of tech use skill, why not tie them together? Maybe make it a focus skill, only instead of focii you pick tech tricks?

My tech skills are mostly Craft and Prestidigitation.  Craft's focuses will have to change somewhat, but I guess they could pull double duty.  Attack type powers will rely on Prestidigitation for their roles.  It's worth thinking about.

Catodon

• Control
    • View Profile
    • Gulliver's Trading Company RPG
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 11:52:17 PM »

...some species feats are 1st level only. Maybe the reasoning is similar. I'm not familiar with the source material.
"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1