Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 30, 2014, 02:27:25 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Play-by-Post
| | |-+  Burnt Offerings (OOC)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 98 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Burnt Offerings (OOC)  (Read 63381 times)
Catodon
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2010, 11:02:45 PM »

Perhaps we could please those that want to try the drama cards and those that don't and fence sitters by allowing players to buy drama cards for later use with action dice and a conversion rate that is appropreate?

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
EloiseCartwright
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2010, 01:10:54 AM »

I've got a Harrowing deck already (it's currently never been used, excepting a couple of 'test' readings' - I was kinda hoping it would be more like an actual tarot deck).

Are the drama cards the new Paizo plot deck? I've been looking at that but not bought it.
vardeman
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2010, 12:14:11 PM »

Last post modified to show the random number Krensky requested for Harrowing readings.
Golden Dragon
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2010, 12:39:30 PM »

With Labor Day (US) coming up, I will be off the boards over the weekend. I should be able to post today (Friday) and possibly once early Saturday, but after that it will be Tuesday afternoon before I'm back.

I'm expecting it will mostly be conversation (hopefully handled by our nobles) and exposition for the next few days. If more is needed, I'll trust Krensky to arrange for something to keep the story going and interesting.

Gregory the Golden Dragon
-I'm a child progeny.
-Most children are.
      Calvin & Hobbes
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2010, 10:31:59 PM »

Alignment: Cayden Cailean
Skills: Acrobatics, Athletics, Bluff, Prestidigitation
Paths: Good, Heroism, Liberation, Strength, Travel
Ritual Weapon: Rapier
Opposed Alignments: Rovagug

Path of Liberation
I: You gain the Iron Will feat.
II: You may cast Bravery and Knock once per scene.
III: You may cast Freedom of Movement and Remove Curse II once per scene.
IV: Your teammates who can see and hear you benefit from your Iron Will feat.
V: You may cast Mind Blank and Protection form Spells once per scene.

Bravery
Level: 2 Healing
Casting Time: 1 full action
Distance: Personal
Area: 20 ft. penetrating sphere
Duration: 1 minute per casting level
Effect: All creatures within the area of effect are immune to the effects of the frightened, paralyzed, and shaken conditions until the spell ends or they leave the area.

Cayhound (Medium Beast Outsider Walker — 120 XP): Str 14, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 12, Wis 16, Cha 14; SZ M (1×1, Reach 2); Spd 60 ft. ground; Init VI; Atk VII; Def VI; Res IV; Health IV; Comp V; Skills: Athletics VII, Impress VII, Intimidate VI, Search VI, Tactics VI; Qualities: darkvision II, devoted (Liberation II), fearless II, feat (Wolf Pack Basics), improved sense (scent), interests (Cayden Caileen), natural spell (Bless 1, Bravery 2, Divine Favor 1).
Attacks/Weapons: Bite IV (grab)

Note that Bravery is still in flux. Also, Iomedae's opposing alignment changes to Rovagug.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 10:55:36 PM by Krensky » Logged

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2010, 10:40:18 PM »

I've got a Harrowing deck already (it's currently never been used, excepting a couple of 'test' readings' - I was kinda hoping it would be more like an actual tarot deck).

Are the drama cards the new Paizo plot deck? I've been looking at that but not bought it.

Actually, yes.

I was thinking of treating each card as allowing a four (or better with a good description) die narrative control for the cards theme. Player proposes, and GM tells the actual effect. You could still use the card for it's mechanical effect as well. The plot cards all have a theme and a mechanical effect, you can play them to invoke either one, but only one effect.

As for the Harrow, I detest the backs, but otherwise they work well. Largely since they lack the background and familiarity of the tarot, and that they're written around D&D/Pathfinder's metaphysics (the nine alignments). I also like how the reader often has an out to ignore spurious cards unless they are matches or the role card.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2010, 10:43:20 PM »

Last post modified to show the random number Krensky requested for Harrowing readings.

I'll use it, but for everyone's future refrence, it's not a random number. A harrowing involves the harrower to ask the harrowee what they are seeking, determining the attribute relevant and then asking the harrowee to pick a card from the appropriate suit.

Since I can't deal those cards onto the table, I need to ask you to pick one some other way. Smiley There are nine cards per suit, so pick a number 1 - 9.

paddyfool
Control

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2010, 01:38:22 AM »

Alignment: Cayden Cailean

I like it.  I'll very happily stick to my path of Strength I for now, but it's good to know there are some nice options if I should ever multiclass to Priest :-)

Bravery
Effect: All creatures within the area of effect are immune to the effects of the frightened, paralyzed, and shaken conditions until the spell ends or they leave the area.

Including hostile creatures?
EloiseCartwright
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2010, 07:43:34 AM »

Actually, yes.

I was thinking of treating each card as allowing a four (or better with a good description) die narrative control for the cards theme. Player proposes, and GM tells the actual effect. You could still use the card for it's mechanical effect as well. The plot cards all have a theme and a mechanical effect, you can play them to invoke either one, but only one effect.

As for the Harrow, I detest the backs, but otherwise they work well. Largely since they lack the background and familiarity of the tarot, and that they're written around D&D/Pathfinder's metaphysics (the nine alignments). I also like how the reader often has an out to ignore spurious cards unless they are matches or the role card.

Plot cards sound good, count me in if you do decide to use them.

I agree about the backs of the Harrow deck, what's wrong with making something that's supposed to be an ingame item look a bit more remotely like something a fantasy-pseudo medieval person would use, instead of looking like a modern game.
ArawnNox
Handler

GM in Training

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2010, 01:41:04 PM »

Just so I'm not being waited on, I'm continuing to withhold posting until action shifts to the Cathedral. Smiley

Wizard's First Rule: People are stupid.
"A great GM knows how to make sure everyone has fun, and great players know the same." --Patrick Kapera
Arawn's Art: http://arawnnox.deviantart.com
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 05, 2010, 01:27:40 AM »

Ok, I'm going to go ahead with the plot cards.

Each card has a title or theme and mechanical effect. When played you can get a narrative effect equivalent or better then a 4 die effect within it's theme. Alternatively, you may use the card for it's mechanical effect. Using a card for it's theme successfully nets that party a bonus of 25 base XP.

You get one card now and one every time you level and can hold them as long as you want. If you 'play' a card and we (the 'table') can't work out what it means you get a new one. Some cards only make sense if played in relation to yourself, or in relation to others, but most can target any character. Similarly some only make sense on your action, but most can be played anytime.

Now people, be adults and only look at your card. You can let others know, or keep it to yourself.

The cards have the format of:

Theme - Mechanical effect - Example uses

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

paddyfool
Control

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 05, 2010, 02:56:14 AM »

Thematic plot power?  Like it.
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 05, 2010, 03:10:13 AM »

Oh, a clarification.

When I said using a plot card for it's theme I meant in a way that is primarily non-mechanical. Something more sub-plot like then action die like.

paddyfool
Control

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 05, 2010, 04:19:49 AM »

Good to know.  So, in my particular case:

(click to show/hide)
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 05, 2010, 04:34:25 AM »

Path of Liberation
I: You gain the Iron Will feat.
II: You may cast Bravery and Knock once per scene.
III: You may cast Freedom of Movement and Remove Curse II once per scene.
IV: Your teammates who can see and hear you benefit from your Iron Will feat.
V: You may cast Mind Blank and Protection form Spells once per scene.

Sugest changing V to...

Liberation V: Your teamates able to see and hear you gain Iron Will as a temporary feat.

...And then creating something new for Liveration IV (spell casting, other effect, etc.). One advantage of this change is that if your teamates allready have Iron Will, its easier ot stop short of that step without being blocked from the final bit of spellcasting.

Bravery

I'd drop shaken from the list - that's basically negating stress damage for far longer than the length of any combat. Otherwise looks passable.

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 98 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: