Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 21, 2014, 10:02:52 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Spycraft Third Edition
| | |-+  MC Cyberpunk Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: MC Cyberpunk Discussion  (Read 3177 times)
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2010, 06:32:28 PM »

A rock band from the Dark Future should NEVER sound like Debbie Gibson.
They should be more like a cross between Dropkick Murphys and Joan Jett.   Grin

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
Doublebond
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2010, 06:34:41 PM »

Ever since watching blade runner I have a hard time imagining any sort of music in the future from any sort of genre not Vangelis's electronic work.
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2010, 07:18:48 PM »

A rock band from the Dark
Yeah, that's a good definition for cyberpunk and its main themes. I seem to recall Pondsmith had something in CyberGeneration about how he felt the trajectory of CP 2020 had gone screwy due to unintentional "bad" play  like I bitched about upthread. It was, as I recall, his way of trying to get back to those themes and strip away all the gloss and chrome. I say this as a biased fan of CyberGen, so I may be misremembering; its been a long time since I had either books.

It's been a while since I read the intro to CyberGen, but it's also worth nothing that CP2020, after a century or two, evolves into a mecha space opera. CyberGeneration gets away from a lot of the cliches by throwing you into playing kids, showing that pretty much all the Edgerunners sold out. It also follows some of the then emerging... call it proto-post cyberpunk trends.

A rock band from the Dark Future should NEVER sound like Debbie Gibson.

Which is good, because they sound like Kinuko Oomori following Fire, Inc's schtick.

The whole thing about Pris and the Replicants, and especially the concert scene in the first OVA is taken from Jim Steinman and the opening of Streets of Fire.

Besides, according to Gibson, the definitive Cyberpunk band is Velvet Underground.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 07:26:12 PM by Krensky » Logged

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2010, 07:37:58 PM »

On the other hand, a lot of transhuman literature is very cyberpunk done far in the future. Eclipse Phase, Richar Morgan, and Peter Hamilton are examples.

So transhuman is post-cyberpunk?  Makes sense.  And speaking of Peter Hamilton and Eclipse Phase, the very first thing I thought about while reading through EP was Hamilton's Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained.

V

Well, it depends how you're defining post-cyberpunk.

Post cyber-punk refers to works that are, for lack of a better term, descended from cyberpunk. What styles and themes follow as outgrowths and reactions to cyberpunk.

Transhumanism is more properly a philosophy, but in literature it exists in two main forms. Those stories about transhumanism or which use it as a plot device to examine the concepts and principles of Transhumanism. These predate cyberpunk, and are not post-cyberpunk.

Then there are those stories that use transhumanist and post-human elements in their background and plot, but aren't actually about them. A lot of British new space opera is this. These can, but are not neccessarily, post-cyberpunk.

Since EP's made by a number of folks who wrote Shadowrun 4, and thouroughly embraces elements and concepts popularized by authors who are part of the post-cyberpunk movement, I feel very comfortable calling it post-cyberpunk.

I'm not completely sure that Hamilton's Commonwealth Saga is post-cyberpunk though. Rather, I should say, I'm not entirely convinced it's only post cyberpunk. Morgan's Takashi Kovacs novels, however, are most assuredly post-cyberpunk, and often seem to desperately want to be classic mirrorshades and heavy metal cyberpunk.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Nepenthe
Control

High Priest of the Cult of Crafty

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2010, 12:26:24 AM »

Ever since watching blade runner I have a hard time imagining any sort of music in the future from any sort of genre not Vangelis's electronic work.

Well, apart from Futurepop and pretty much industrial in general. Tongue

Reapercussions
mathey
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2010, 04:15:32 PM »

The whole thing about Pris and the Replicants, and especially the concert scene in the first OVA is taken from Jim Steinman and the opening of Streets of Fire.

Besides, according to Gibson, the definitive Cyberpunk band is Velvet Underground.

That doesn't surprise me. Velvet Undeground works for me. Its got grit and experimentation.

J-pop filtered through Walter Hill's stylish but empty homage to '50s rebellious teen movies? Not so much. 
Goodlun
Operative

Yeah thats me with my Judo Gi and an AK-47

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2010, 05:08:46 PM »

Would "Doll House" be  considered cyberpunk?
doneatrawhagis
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2010, 07:16:24 PM »

Would "Doll House" be  considered cyberpunk?

I think so, the episode where they go into the attic is definetely cyberpunk. And people abusing technology to the point where the rich are immortal, from switching to new bodies, is definitely in the category.

I'm planning on bringing one or two cyber punk elements into my next campaign to give some unique flavor.
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2010, 09:05:19 PM »

African Cyberpunk

MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2010, 04:40:54 AM »

I am intrigued. 

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: