Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 21, 2014, 05:31:35 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Spycraft Third Edition
| | |-+  MC Cyberpunk Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: MC Cyberpunk Discussion  (Read 2869 times)
doneatrawhagis
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« on: July 17, 2010, 10:52:37 PM »

I read a few books now and then some ideas I think need some representation:

Razor Girl(boy) - Augmented women(men) with cybernetic implants such as concealed weapons in their body and camera eyes. From Neuromancer, if possible expert class. Combo of Soldier and Intruder classes.

Street Samurai - Unlike Street Knight these guys are biotic soldiers for higher, usually wield high quality samurai swords in combination with guns(ie Gun-katana). Based on Movies and Neuromancer, combination of Edgemaster and Triggerman.

Intersect - Hacker with the ability to interface mentally with a computer system. Removes need for computer allows for changing of specialties such as weapons, driving, and science on the fly. However he is limited in that these are not class based skills for him. This allows for him to switch from a surgeon to a kungfu master at will. Combination of Faceman and Hacker

Demoman - Bombsquad and missile commander all in one. Similar to a saboteur and terrorist. Area control master, makes sure that the enemy cant follow or gets destroyed in debri. Class feats with the intent on open confrontation and disarming of bombs. Based on Demoman from TF2.

Hitman - Tasked with getting into areas and getting out without incident. The higher up the hitman the more of a ghost he actually is. Should be able to hide in plain site and be able to setup and perform finishing moves fast. Faceman combined with Intruder. Stealth based attacks should be his forte. Based on Agent 47 from the Hitman Video Games.

The Analyst - Stays in the van and monitors the situation. Able to bring up schematics of buildings and keep an eye on enemy movements from an op center. Tactics should be his main focus. What will the enemy be doing and what should we do to counter it. Based on Burn Notice and Chuck.
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 11:15:16 PM »

Razor Girl(boy) - Augmented women(men) with cybernetic implants such as concealed weapons in their body and camera eyes. From Neuromancer, if possible expert class. Combo of Soldier and Intruder classes.

Street Samurai - Unlike Street Knight these guys are biotic soldiers for higher, usually wield high quality samurai swords in combination with guns(ie Gun-katana). Based on Movies and Neuromancer, combination of Edgemaster and Triggerman.

Solos can be built several ways, but they're typically Soldiers. Certainly how I'd build Molly or Blackhand. Also, cyber gears is just implanted gadgets, and not appropriate for core Spycraft if it's being pulled back to just espionage. Also, as a point of order, razor girl has nothing to do with Molly's augments, it's a reggae song reference.

Intersect - Hacker with the ability to interface mentally with a computer system. Removes need for computer allows for changing of specialties such as weapons, driving, and science on the fly. However he is limited in that these are not class based skills for him. This allows for him to switch from a surgeon to a kungfu master at will. Combination of Faceman and Hacker

Way to specific a concept. That said, Hacker/Runner with high Int, I Can Swim, and Skill/Feat traing.

Demoman - Bombsquad and missile commander all in one. Similar to a saboteur and terrorist. Area control master, makes sure that the enemy cant follow or gets destroyed in debri. Class feats with the intent on open confrontation and disarming of bombs. Based on Demoman from TF2.

Sounds more like a specific build of Soldier or Scientist.

Hitman - Tasked with getting into areas and getting out without incident. The higher up the hitman the more of a ghost he actually is. Should be able to hide in plain site and be able to setup and perform finishing moves fast. Faceman combined with Intruder. Stealth based attacks should be his forte. Based on Agent 47 from the Hitman Video Games.

Intruder or Faceman depending which you favor, or Assassin from FC.

The Analyst - Stays in the van and monitors the situation. Able to bring up schematics of buildings and keep an eye on enemy movements from an op center. Tactics should be his main focus. What will the enemy be doing and what should we do to counter it. Based on Burn Notice and Chuck.

Pointman and Schemer or Tactician.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Nepenthe
Control

High Priest of the Cult of Crafty

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 03:22:12 AM »

Yeah, I hope we're going towards more generic rather than overly specific.

I'm still gagging for some cyberpunk stuff, all this listening to (and reading the liner stories of) Mind.in.a.box albums is getting to me.

Reapercussions
Agent 333
Control

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 02:19:24 AM »

I'm still gagging for some cyberpunk stuff, all this listening to (and reading the liner stories of) Mind.in.a.box albums is getting to me.

Over in the Liscense to Improvise thread we're working on some cyberpunky type stuff.

When all your problems are nails, all your tools start looking like hammers.
Nepenthe
Control

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 04:24:04 AM »

Over in the Liscense to Improvise thread we're working on some cyberpunky type stuff.

I'm avoiding the subforum due to a bad conscience related to the Mass Craft stuff I've said I'd do  Embarrassed

Reapercussions
yojimbo
Crafty n00b

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 07:05:17 AM »

Other than Ghost in the Shell, most cyberpunk fiction falls into 10K Bullets territory rather than Spycraft.

Still it'd be nice to see a cyberpunk hack for modern Mastercraft.
Nepenthe
Control

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 04:46:48 AM »

Other than Ghost in the Shell, most cyberpunk fiction falls into 10K Bullets territory rather than Spycraft.

Actually, it falls into the 'removed from current product slate Cyberpunk expansion' territory - which was to be a Spycraft 2.0 product. Now it might be Cybercraft and not come out while I am still able to eat solid foods.

Reapercussions
Crafty_Alex
Crafty Staff
Control

Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 08:23:49 AM »

Actually, it falls into the 'removed from current product slate Cyberpunk expansion' territory - which was to be a Spycraft 2.0 product. Now it might be Cybercraft and not come out while I am still able to eat solid foods.

Is that very nice?

MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 08:37:15 AM »

Is that very nice?
Jaws break in car crashes all the time, any of us could lose the ability to eat solid foods next week.   (Though the idea of living on multivitamins and beer does not horrify me.)

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
OverNinja
Control

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 09:19:03 AM »

Is that very nice?

Perhaps he owes money and knows he can't pay.
Knowing that he's now an ecstatic owner of XP8 - RE_PRODUCTIONS.  Wink  Grin  Cool

"If somebody is worth shooting once, they're worth shooting twice."
"Anyone who trades liberty for security deserves neither liberty nor security."
Desertpuma
Control

Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2010, 06:54:40 PM »

I believe Alex was going to title it Shatterpunk so who knows... I think it will still come out..

Alex is like me... a Cyberpunk fan!

Crusader Citadel

Living Spycraft Mastermind Council Member

Crafty For Life!
Nepenthe
Control

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2010, 10:21:35 AM »

Is that very nice?

Hey, I try to help you guys! Some times give encouraging feedback, sometimes allude that a product will not come out in the next 60 years unless you boys hasten up. I believe either way helps!*

*Sorry for the convoluted Mass Effect 2 reference!

p.s. It's limited /500, the damn EP. And it cost me 1/5 of what getting that Dragon Age: Origins CE Prima Book did. Cheesy

p.p.s. There was another cyberpunk product, 'maximum chrome', was it? Anyway, a smaller cyberpunk toolbox for SC 2.0, not the full setting. I can see it not being on the top priority list, if there are eventual plans for a full cyberpunk system eventually, but that doesn't exactly help with the wait. Wink

p.p.p.s. The reason why I'm so bitchy about the whole Cyberpunk thing is that, and this is strictly IMHO, there are good fantasy systems, even decent modern systems (especially when I look at my SC 2.0 shelf) already out there. But there's no decent (modern) cyberpunk RPG. And, since I have little faith in other gaming companies doing something good these days (maybe Paizo, but they're already getting more praise than they deserve), I know that I'm not going to have anything good for at least the next ~3 years, if not longer (considering that after sc 3.0 and 10kb, stuff like Vow of Silence is probably further on etc.). So you'll just have to bear my occasional bursts of frustration, I'll try to keep a reasonable distance between them. Smiley

Reapercussions
Goodlun
Operative

Yeah thats me with my Judo Gi and an AK-47

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2010, 03:31:57 PM »

there's no decent (modern) cyberpunk RPG. And, since I have little faith in other gaming companies doing something good these days/quote]

I declare this statement to be immutable truth.   
I also would like to see a well done cyberpunk game and I really do only trust one company to get it just right.
Desertpuma
Control

Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2010, 07:09:11 PM »

The best company to date that has actually handled it is RTalsorian Games which released Cyberpunk in a black box back in 1987. They did an updated version known as Cyberpunk 2020 about 1991 or 1992. It is still the best version.

For a D20 version, I expect Crafty Alex to make sure the game is on par with RTal's, especially since we are both fans of their version.

Crusader Citadel

Living Spycraft Mastermind Council Member

Crafty For Life!
mathey
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2010, 02:22:40 PM »

Cyberpunk is kind of weird as a gaming genre.

The origins of cyberpunk (Gibson, Sterling) were pretty low-key, really. Sure, they had what seemed like crazy ideas and voice compared to other science fiction of the period, but in terms of cyberware, violence, and flying cars, they leaned toward the "realistic" rather than the extreme. Blade Runner predated Neuromancer by 2 years ('82), and I think its visuals were maybe more influential on c-punk gaming than anything literary, but it also didn't feature all that much emphasis on jacked-up black ops mercs using monofilament katanas and smartlinked submachine guns to kill rooms full of sunglass-sporting Yakuza security goons.

RTalsorian's box came out around the time the genre had already started to get adulterated with 80's action movies, MTV, cocaine, and Orientalized depictions of Asia (remember when Japan owned everything?). Cyberpunk was already sort of a self-satire, really; consider the fact that the blackly comedic ultraviolent Robocop also came out in '87. Its a safe bet that more people saw Robocop than Blade Runner (the latter was a big ol' flop at the box office - cult film, yes, but not "popular"), after all. The fact that Cyberpunk 2020 included gangs of people who had bodysculpted themselves to look like Star Trek characters, robotic suits carrying tank weapons, and tons and tons of [strike]superpowers[/strike] cyberware really only helped to accelerate the shift. And Shadowrun; that really opened the floodgates of wackiness.

For me, I think the genre died for realz when Johnny Mnemonic came out. Gibson helped make it, and it wasn't just awful, it sort of singled out everything that was kinda lame and dated about it.

The Matrix has been cited as cyberpunk, but honestly I think its in its own headspace, based not so much on the original material as it is on the pop culture appropriation of it. It did a good job of making Hacking exciting, but aside from that and the greenish cinematography, its not desperate or seedy enough for me to think of it being akin to Neuromancer. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: