Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 20, 2014, 05:53:47 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  [Setting conversion] Rokugan
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] Go Down Print
Author Topic: [Setting conversion] Rokugan  (Read 19430 times)
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: January 27, 2011, 09:10:50 AM »

Sorry, small delay as I deal with some insanity relating to my old car. I'll try to put up the completed bundle for the week by late friday Smiley.

(I'm also mulling over the math for bonus paths - stay tuned!)

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: January 28, 2011, 01:01:10 AM »

Orochi week - round 2

Ok, this I'm pretty pleased with Grin.

TERRAIN FEATS

Reef-Breaker Basics
None can stand against the fury of the storm for long!
Prerequisites: Personal Lieutenant (Orochi)
Benefits: You gain a +4 bonus to Swim checks and add the Path of the Orochi to the Paths associated with your alignment (if any). Your Orochi’s natural attacks inflict double damage on all scenery and objects.

Reef-Breaker Mastery
Here's the secret: grab on tight and don’t let go!
Prerequisites: Reef-breaker Basics
Benefits: You may hold your breath for a number of minutes equal to your Constitution score and are immune to turning by Orochi. Your Orochi’s Threat Level increases by 1 (maximum 20).

Reef-Breaker Supremacy
No matter how this ends, it will be glorious!
Prerequisites: Reef-Breaker Mastery
Benefits: You may replace your Orochi lieutenant without paying the reputation cost if your Orochi dies during a dramatic scene. Your Orochi may pay 1 action die to turn Medium-sized or smaller folk, and may do so any number of times per scene.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 10:31:06 PM by Morgenstern » Logged

Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: January 28, 2011, 01:14:58 AM »

Which raises the question of which flavour of Oriochi you went with.

Also, Captains with Orichi are going to be sick -- and if I read this correctly a straight Captai will effectively have have a TL 15 sidekick at level 14
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 01:18:01 AM by Mister Andersen » Logged

Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: January 28, 2011, 01:29:46 AM »

Which raises the question of which flavour of Oriochi you went with.

I'm planning to create a hybrid utilizing some of the tricks and ideas showcased in the two suggested here (yes, lifeline is fiendish). Hopefully my try will be posted along with the path tomorrow to wrap up Orochi week Smiley. Mechanically either of the ones offered earlier should be sound with this feat chain.

Also, Captains with Orochi are going to be sick -- and if I read this correctly a straight Captain will effectively have have a TL 15 sidekick at level 14

I had the captain gamebreaker carefuly in mind - "Number One" sets the Lt's threat level to to CL -1, so the Orochi with this feat chain would be equal to you CL. The max 20 verbage is just future proofing against something unforseen comming down the pipe later. The +5 XP is really just evening thimgs up a bit since this chain does not typically contribute to the Personal Lieutenant feat (except for those lucky captains).

Edit: In the end I reasigned the feats to the terrain tree to avoid the issue and balance out the strong class choices to go along with this theme to include Scouts as much as Captains and Lancers (amusingly, courtiers also rock as Storm Riders... "You have a good point, but a friend of mine wishes to raise an objection... *RAAAARRRRR!*")
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 07:50:43 AM by Morgenstern » Logged

Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: January 30, 2011, 07:00:36 AM »

Week of the Orochi - Round 3

I use a slightly exploded stat block for ease of reading Smiley.

Sidebar: The Orochi
Orochi are spectacular sea serpents freed from the spirit realms by secret Mantis magic. While they are sometimes turned loose without supervision, they are far more effective when paired with a brave human rider who can both sooth and direct their fury for the benefit of the clan.

When an Orochi is taken as a Personal Lieutenant, the player character must be eligible to select a lieutenant worth at least 65 XP. Further, the Orochi may only be improved as outlined in the Advancement section until the player may choose/create a lieutenant worth up to 100 XP. Beyond that, the player may improve the statistics of his Orochi as he sees fit (with GM approval, of course).

Orochi (Huge Beast Swimmer - 65 XP)
Attributes: Str 14, Dex 10, Con 16, Int 8, Wis 8, Cha 8
Size H (1x6, Reach 2)
Speed 50 ft. Swim; 20 ft. ground
Statistics: Init II; Atk IV; Def IV; Res IV; Health V
Skills: Competence I; Athletics V, Notice III, Survival III
Qualities: Aquatic II, feat (Rage Basics), impaired senses (hearing, scent), lumbering, monstrous defense I, tough I
Attacks/Weapons:
“Great Jaws” Bite I + Grab (dmg 1d12+2 lethal, threat 18–20; grab)
“Thrashing Bulk” Slam I (dmg 1d10+2 lethal, threat 20)
“Whipping tail” Tail Slap I (dmg 1d12+2 lethal; threat 20)
“Down the Hatch!” Swallow I (dmg 2d8+2 lethal)
Advancement:
70 XP – Gain Qualities: Cagey I, Fortunes of War I, grueling combatant
75 XP – Gain Qualities: Fearless II, sterner stuff
80 XP – Health VI; Gain Quality: Feat (Rage Mastery); Gain Attack: “Crushing Mass” Slam I (dmg 1d10+2 lethal, threat 20)
85 XP – Competence II; Gain Qualities: knockback, never outnumbered
90 XP – Gain Quality: Lifeline
95 XP – Gain Quality: Tough II
100 XP – Gain Qualities: Cagey II, Damage defiance (unarmed), Fortunes of War II
Treasure: 1T (Non-lieutenant Only)

Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: February 09, 2011, 09:38:44 PM »

More Card of the Day!

Next week should be a theme week, but this was another random draw from the pile Smiley.

GEAR FEATS

Gempuku Ceremony
The day you first swore fealty to you lord was a celebration that will be long remembered!
Prerequisites: Level 1 Only, Alignment (any)
Benefit: You receive a weapon from your lord or family (either a katana or a weapon of the same type as your alignment’s ritual weapon) with up to 2 essences of your choice and a maximum total Reputation value of 15. This weapon is a Prize.
Choose a base class. As long as you have more levels in that base class than any other base class, the Disposition of any character sharing your alignment increases by 2 and you may keep 1 additional weapon as Prize without it counting against the number of Prizes you may keep.

Paired Jitte, acid damage + greater npc quality (rend). A pseudo 2-weapon style (effectively a double hit or hit/disarm technique), the acid damage representing the lingering effects of precisely aimed blows

Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: February 10, 2011, 12:30:03 AM »

Nice. Scorpion rough-housing Smiley.

aegis
Fantasy Craft Playtester
Control

A little dab'll do ya.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #262 on: August 16, 2011, 06:19:18 AM »

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.
I didn't realize it was such a long time ago! Anyway, as I recently read the fourth edition of L5R, I was drawn to this excellent setting again. And if I started working on it again, I wanted to finish the conversion guide during these holidays. And since I have a non-English-speaking friend who was very interested in it as well ...

Well, to sum up, I've finished a 31-page guide in French. It re-uses many of the ideas we've written down here, simplifies a few, and sadly eliminates quite many options that were just taking too much space (including the very nice but countless family Talents). I'm considering using it as a starting point, a "minimal package" to play the game. Then, it can be enhanced with an "expanded guide" which will contain more options and details. I'll try to re-translate it into English asap, so that you guys can use it - and improve it - too.  Smiley
Coyote0273
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: October 13, 2011, 08:45:38 PM »

How was the translation coming, Aegis? I've got some friends who might be interested in this setting if it was done.
aegis
Fantasy Craft Playtester
Control

A little dab'll do ya.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #264 on: October 16, 2011, 02:58:03 AM »

On hold for now. I have a few things to finish first, including MassCraft v2.0, and then it's next on my list.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: