@Mister Andersen: That's basically what the dueling conflict is supposed to look like. A mini-game, as Scotty said, just like the grapple is, but with its own rules.
@Doublebond: It could. The point is, dueling is such a specific and important kind of conflict in Rokugan that it would be a shame not to have dedicated rules for it. Not that you can't simulate it with a regular combat, or a duel of Resolve, but the idea is to create a new option
for those who'd like duels to have their own feel. If you don't like the option, you can still use standard rules.
@Morgenstern: Oh, so the preview rules on the wiki were self-contained! I should delete these strategies then, or squeeze them into feats, since there is no reason a duelist would buy a strategy rather than dueling focus with his proficiencies.
@glimmerrat: I like the idea, but I would rather see Clans as Talents. Hence, the Kakita bushi you describe could be either a Crane Fencer, or a Fencer with another Talent if he is not archetypal to the Crane clan. Why? Well, mostly because that's a lot less Origins to design.
@Krensky: I definitely get your point. But as Scotty said, there have always been "mini-game" rules for dueling in all incarnations of Rokugan. I do like the stand off rules, a lot, but again, as the Kenku Master said, their conversion to Mastercraft is not so easy. Dramatic conflicts, on the other hand, are officially scheduled for ... soon, I hope.
If Alex or Pat are reading this, do you still plan to make dueling a new dramatic conflict?
Hell, that was a lot of questions and remarks to answer, thanks guys! This gave me a whole new bunch of ideas. And in the meantime, I added a short list of all Rokugan weapons I could find, with equivalences in Fantasy Craft. Sometimes, it was already there, as for the naginata for instance, and sometimes, I had to make it up, as for the tetsubo which I handled as a great club. The only fully new weapon is the mai chong, this fantasy hybrid between a trident and a rake that only Boar samurai use. The document is not up to date, though.
With all this, I can update my to do list:
- Build Origins: Species, Talents (Clan-based probably), and Specialties.
- Update Honor Rules: This is going well, thanks to Scotty. I should have something cool by tomorrow.
- Remove Dueling Strategies: Or make them feats. Since the dueling rules are indeed self-contained (why did I feel otherwise?).
- Update the Feats Section Accordingly: Yep, Honor- and Dueling- based feats may need a heads up, but that's all. I also plan two new Style chains, one based on Clan relations, another made for winter courts. I like courtiers with tons of tricks.
- Design a Handful of Magic Items: I haven't had a chance to create many Magic Items with Fantasy Craft yet. I'll take a look in Prayers & Treasures to see if there are some relics worth converting.
And that's it! Once this is done, the base conversion guide will be over. And it will be time for playtest, iconics, and NPCs (not necessarily in that order)! If you have ideas for anything, Origin, feat, whatever, please post it!