Author Topic: [Setting Conversion] Dragonlance (or Lancecraft if you prefer)  (Read 3144 times)

Mister Andersen

• Control
  • I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know
    • View Profile
Re: [Setting Conversion] Dragonlance (or Lancecraft if you prefer)
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2013, 10:24:12 PM »
As I said, it makes it a lot easier to take away when the story demands it, and plays with the kender idea of transitory possessions

pawsplay

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2013, 10:36:40 PM »
What if you gave them an allowance for found stuff, kind of like the Courtier?

Mister Andersen

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2013, 11:01:50 PM »
Nope, doesn't really have the right mechanical feel, and I don't want to start giving away class abilities in origins if i can help it

pawsplay

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2013, 11:48:12 PM »
Let me try, hm...

Pockets: Once per adventure, during a standard scene, you can Handle a previously unrevealed object of Tiny size or less. It may be any item with a Complexity of no more than your Career Level + your Prestidigitation bonus. This item is presumed to have been with you all along, cannot be found on your person by searching, and remains with you until the end of the adventure.

SPECIES FEAT

Kender Handler
Prerequisites: Kender species, Prestidigitation 1+ ranks
Your Panache increases by 1 and you gain a trick.
I can't explain it (Conceal Action trick): You may handle an item up to Close Quarters range. You may use this trick a number of times per adventure equal to your starting number of action dice.

Mister Andersen

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2015, 05:37:43 AM »
Some thoughts on Campaign Qualities

UNIVERSAL
   Dead Means Dead (3 Action Dice): Life is fleeting and once you check out, you generally don’t come back. Characters may not Cheat Death or benefit from the everlasting quality. Also, the Preparation Cost of Resurrection and other spells that return a character to life are doubled.
   Fear And Loathing (2 Action Dice): The peoples of Krynn are as a rule deeply parochial and insular. While there may at times be varying states of detente, it is a theme of the setting that this tendency to stand alone is as much a threat as any dragon. When this quality is in effect, the Dispositions of characters who don't share a Species or native culture worsen by 10.
   Sorcery — Cyclical Magic (Permanent): At the start of each scene, consult the moon phase chart (see pg xx).
   Sorcery — Aligned Magic (Permanent): Spells of the Healing school may only be learnt and cast by characters with an appropriate Alignment (see pg xx); the spells Resurrection I-III now belong to this school.
   Sorcery — Lost Magic (Permanent): Resurrection I-III.

THE AGE OF MIGHT
   Miracles — Beneficent Universe (Permanent): When a character gains his first Alignment, he immediately takes the first Step along one of its Paths.

THE AGE OF DESPAIR: POST-CATACLYSM
   Miracles — Indifferent Universe (Permanent): The universe ignores the faithful. Divine assistance may not be used as a justification for Narrative Control (see Fantasy Craft RPG, pg 366).
   Sorcery — Lost Magic (Permanent): Spells of the Healing school are unavailable during this period.

THE AGE OF DESPAIR: WAR OF THE LANCE
   Miracles — Warring Universe (2 Action Dice): The universe is in turmoil and this conflict extends to the mortal realm. Every Aligned character gains an insight bonus with attack checks and opposed rolls targeting characters with an opposing Alignment equal to their Charisma modifier (min. +0).

WAR OF CHAOS
...: ...

THE AGE OF MORTALS

THE AGE OF MORTALS: WAR OF SOULS

Magic

Magic in Dragonlance in some aspects worked quite differently to standard campaigns -- apart from a period of as I understand it about a generation or so towards the end of the series, a caster's broad alignment provided one of 2 sharp demarcations of which schools someone could use

Good guys wore white and got abjuration (protective magic) & divination as their personal bailiwick; Fence-sitting red robes picked up illusion & transmutationas their specialty; black hats ended up with enchantment & necromancy. Apart from that, everyone then had open access to conjuration (transport magic), evocation (energy wielding magic) and 'universal'.

Running through the 24 different disciplines available in FC, once Healing is set aside as a school granted to followers of gods other than those of Magic, we get the following division.

White Robes   Red Robes   Black Robes   General
Divination
Foresight
Seals
Warding
   Conversion
Illusion
Secrets
Shapeshifting
   Affliction
Charm
Necromancy
Shadow
   Artifice
Blessing
Calling
Compass
Creation
Energy
Force
Glory
Nature
Weather
Word

This leaves Channeler (general), Reaper (black) & Trickster (red) as the only schools -- and thus, eventually, classes -- that enter play intact from the core FC books, including Spellbound.

According to the setting, magic users seem to receive a generalist education of cantrip and low level spells until they're sent off to participate in their pass-or-die final exam. Continuing to learn magic and either refusing to take the test or failure to sign up with one of the Big Three afterwards is the effective equivalent of asking every other licensed magic user in the setting to please kill you if they find out.

So how then to best implement this all mechanically? Clearly the simplest is just to stick with the generalist Mage base class, though I wonder if a seed-class might be an interesting way to go, with graduated magic users picking up an alignment-based expert class?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 09:12:02 AM by Mister Andersen »