Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 23, 2014, 05:03:08 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  This week on the menu...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Poll
Question: What 4e D&D Paragon sounds tastey?
Daring Acrobat   -7 (20.6%)
Polearm Master   -12 (35.3%)
Sylvan Archer (elf)   -2 (5.9%)
Twiceborn Leader   -13 (38.2%)
Total Voters: 34

Author Topic: This week on the menu...  (Read 1438 times)
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2011, 06:18:34 PM »

Both winners are now up!

http://www.crafty-games.com/forum/index.php?topic=5657.msg101535

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2011, 10:23:43 AM »

*sigh* Maybe if I put them here too...

BASIC COMBAT FEATS

Courageous Words
   Your encouragement gives others the strength to press on!
   Benefit: As a full action you may encourage an ally able to see and hear you, restoring vitality equal to twice that character's Career Level (or removing accumulated damage equal to the character's Threat Level, if a standard character). You may not encourage yourself. A character may only benefit from this feat once per scene, even if encouraged by multiple characters.

Twicebold Basics
   You have limitless daring, tempered only by the desire to see all your companions survive to share in the glory.
   Prerequisites: Courageous Words
   Benefit: You may encourage two characters simultaneously with the Courageous Words feat if both of them are your teammates. You also gain a trick.
   Nightbreaker (attack trick): If the opponent is a horror, they suffer a 1 morale penalty to Defense until the end of the current combat. If this attack defeats an adversary, you may grant one teammate able to see and hear you an immediate free attack. They may not apply any tricks to this free attack.

Twicebold Mastery
   Not all victories come easy. Perseverance may be your greatest virtue.
   Prerequisites: Twicebold Basics
   Benefit: Teammates able to see and hear you gain a +1 bonus to Defense while refreshing and may spend an action die to recover wounds and vitality even if they are attacked so long as no attack actually hits them. You also gain a trick.
   Hope's Fury (Attack trick): You gain a bonus to this attack check and damage roll equal to the number of undefeated teammates you can see and hear who have attempted to refresh during this combat (maximum +5). If this attack misses, it still inflicts the bonus damage. You may only use this trick once per scene.

Twicebold Supremacy
   All share in the glory of a good plan well executed.
   Prerequisites: Twicebold Mastery
   Benefit: Once per adventure, as a free action you may grant each of your teammates able to see and hear you a bonus d4 action die. These dice do not explode. Discard any unused dice at the beginning of your next initiative count. You also gain a stance.
   Opportunities Seized (Stance): Choose one teammate as you enter this stance. At the beginning of that teammate's initiative count each round if they can see and hear you they may roll a d20 and set it aside. If they do, the first attack or skill check they make that round will use that die result. You may only enter this stance once per scene.

MELEE COMBAT FEATS

Longtooth's Basics
   "Give me a sharp lever, and I shall move the world."
   Prerequisite: Combat Instincts, Issue Challenge
   Benefit: Each time you hit an opponent your size category or smaller with a polearm or 2h-spear, you may move them 5 ft. in any direction. You also gain a stance.
   Controlling your Space (Polearm or 2h-Spear Stance): You may take action against opponents within 10 feet of you as if they were adjacent to you (i.e. you may use Combat Instincts to respond to failed attacks from opponents 10 ft. away). This does not make you adjacent to them.

Longtooth's Mastery
   "Do not think a paltry five strides make you safe from my blade..."
   Prerequisite: Longtooth's Basics
   Benefit: You may spend a single action die to both boost a polearm or 2h-spear attack check and increase its reach by 1 for that attack. You also gain a trick.
   Leverage and Blood (Polearm or 2h-Spear Attack Trick): You move an opponent up to one size category bigger than you 15 ft. in any direction. You may use this trick a number of times per combat equal to your Melee Combat feats.

Longtooth's Supremacy
   "I'd suggest 'you should run'... But that time has passed."
   Prerequisite: Longtooth's Mastery
   Benefit: Each time an opponent you have challenged attempts to move away from you or attacks another character without attacking you, you gain a free polearm or 2h-spear attack against them before their action resolves. They must be within your weapon's reach to make this attack and you may not apply any tricks to this attack. You also gain a trick.
   Harvest the Field (Polearm or 2h-Spear Attack Trick): You make a single attack check against every character within 10 ft. If the attack hits by 4 or more it inflicts double damage. If it misses, it still inflicts half damage. You may only use this trick once per scene.

Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2011, 03:09:39 PM »

Cool work Morg.  Just some thoughts as I read them through:

I'm not sure about Opportunaties Siezed - it has the potential to guarantee that their first attack or skill check will fail (or worse, critically fail), which seems contrary to the intent of the Stance (you sieze an opportunity to fail?).

I'm curious about the reason for Controlling your Space - why not just "You count opponents within 10ft as Adjacent"?  Is there that much of a ripple effect from making it simpler that I'm just not seeing?  Or is this more a future-proofing tactic?

Leverage and Blood feels like it should have a "they must end within your reach" for the opponents movement, but that's more a personal opinion about the flavour of what the character is doing then it is about balance.

Overall, very nice work man, I'd happily allow all of them into a campaign I was running.  Very nice flavour too - especially the Longtooth's chain (I'm a huge fan of polearm work, which almost never gets enough love in roleplaying games).
Big_Jim
Handler

An integral part of any plan for world domination.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2011, 03:26:19 PM »

Are there any other Basics/Mastery/Supremacy chains that have a feat prereq?
Agent 333
Control

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2011, 03:46:09 PM »

I'm not sure about Opportunaties Siezed - it has the potential to guarantee that their first attack or skill check will fail (or worse, critically fail), which seems contrary to the intent of the Stance (you sieze an opportunity to fail?).

The thing is, you were going to have to roll that die anyway. Now you know what you get for your result before you choose what action to take. Got a 3? Don't use a trick that increases your error range! Got a 20? All Out Attack! That kind of foreknowledge can be HUGE in the right circumstances...

When all your problems are nails, all your tools start looking like hammers.
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2011, 04:12:46 PM »

The thing is, you were going to have to roll that die anyway. Now you know what you get for your result before you choose what action to take. Got a 3? Don't use a trick that increases your error range! Got a 20? All Out Attack! That kind of foreknowledge can be HUGE in the right circumstances...

To expand on this, "rolled a 1? Maybe this would be a good round to just take movment actions or total defense." There's some very productive activites out there that don't use a roll at all Smiley.

I'm curious about the reason for Controlling your Space - why not just "You count opponents within 10ft as Adjacent"?  Is there that much of a ripple effect from making it simpler that I'm just not seeing?  Or is this more a future-proofing tactic?

It splits the active from the passive. I want it to allow you to do insane skill stunts like pick someone's pocket with the tip of your spear, but I don't want it causing a 5' damage aura to suddenly grow to 10'.

Leverage and Blood feels like it should have a "they must end within your reach" for the opponents movement, but that's more a personal opinion about the flavour of what the character is doing then it is about balance.

I have vissions of running at a foe, sticking him with the pointy end just as I run on the other side of a modestly thick tree, and then teetter-totter/slingshoting his butt across the map Smiley. Sproing!

That, or a plain ol' 360-wind-up 8-foot-long baseball-bat-with-a-blade-at-the-end swing for bleachers knocking someone outa the park. Sometimes simple is best Grin.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 04:22:25 PM by Morgenstern » Logged

Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2011, 04:30:45 PM »

Are there any other Basics/Mastery/Supremacy chains that have a feat prereq?

In Fantasycraft, I don't think so. In Spycraft they were not unheard of.

I considerered naming the first one of each sequence "Form" instead of "Basics". Would that allieviate your concerns? The main thing it's going to impact is the Edgemaster class.

I'm on the fence, but for the most part I think I'm ok with them being able to take these with their floating 'Basics' feat ability - the universal "must have prerequisites" for temporary feats should keep things on a pretty reasonable level.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 05:32:04 PM by Morgenstern » Logged

Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2011, 05:29:52 PM »

I considerered naming the first one of each sequence "Form" instead of "Basics". Would that allieviate your concerns? The main thing it's going to impact is the Edgemaster class.
I'm on the fence, but for the most part I think I'm ok wiht them being able to take these with their floating 'Basics' feat ability - the universal "most have prerequisites" for temporary feats should keep things on a pretty reasonable level.

I actually like that Edgemaster can pick them up as floating feats.  Also thanks for the explanation, I can dig it.  Next game I'll alow my players to use them freely.
Big_Jim
Handler

An integral part of any plan for world domination.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2011, 05:33:35 PM »

Oh, don't read my question as a 'concern', really. Just an observation. I don't think you should do a rename. That breaks the simple elegance of the B/M/S chain's meta conventions- for no real gain, as you noted. It works thematically, it just set off my 'MasterCraft feats don't use a ton of prereqs (unlike SpyCraft's min BABs, Career Lvl, two or more feats, etc.)'. I sudden wondered if this was new ground for the MasterCraft system or if I missed it's introduction somewhere else.
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2011, 07:20:47 PM »

Or, you know, don't set it aside. It says you may set it aside, not must.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2011, 08:16:39 PM »

It says may roll and set aside - which to me means if you roll, it gets set aside, but that the roll itself is the choice.  Unless that wasn't Morg's intent?
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2011, 10:14:22 PM »

All one step - roll and set aside.

Not "you may roll, and then you may choose to set aside." If the set aside step were independently optional, there would be zero reason for the roll to be optional Smiley.

Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2011, 08:19:40 AM »

Quote from: Sletchman

It says may roll and set aside - which to me means if you roll, it gets set aside, but that the roll itself is the choice.  Unless that wasn't Morg's intent?

So it does... I don't know how I reversed those two words when I read it.

Embarrassed

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2011, 08:46:07 AM »

'Sall good. You're such a consistently good reviewer your comment sent me back to double check what I'd written for fear that it was unclear Grin.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: