Author Topic: Any League of Legends players?  (Read 3360 times)

Nuaurpy

• Handler
  • The Shadow knows.
    • View Profile
Re: Any League of Legends players?
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2014, 10:35:52 PM »
FIRESNAKE
{Flavor Text goes here}
Prerequisite: Flame's Blessing
Benefit: Once per round when you are wielding an edged or spirit weapon, you may spend 2 Edge in order to draw a 60 ft. trail of fire. Anything caught in this trail takes 2d6 + you Dexterity modifier in fire damage; each character hit may make a Reflex save (DC 10 + your Dex modifier + the number of Technique feats you have) to suffer only 1/2 damage (rounded down). You may only use Firesnake if you did not use it last round.

One thing that's missing here is the type of action that this requires. Is it a free action, half, or full? that's also missing from the signature technique.

TKDB

• Handler
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2014, 10:40:20 AM »
A concern was brought up in a discussion of these mechanics on another forum that might be somewhat relevant: The five-feat structure used in this thread presents a pretty extensive investment that rather limits your other options. Since no class gets bonus Technique feats (yet), you're stuck using your standard feat slots from Career Level for these, which means if you're aiming to max out a Technique chain the only other feats you can have until level 15 are whatever your specialty and class provide as bonus feats. Classes without bonus Melee, Ranged, or Unarmed Combat feats are going to need to invest their specialty and every feat from Career Level to get a full weapon B/M/S chain (which seems to me to be something of the bread and butter of martial combat) along with mastering a Technique chain. And they'll need to choose between getting the weapon feats early or the Signature Technique early.

In Fantasy Craft, the base classes with medium or high BAB that fall into this category are Captain, Explorer, Emissary, and Crusader (though Crusaders do have some wiggle room with being able to pick up a Technique chain as a Path -- though they won't finish it until level 20). Technically also Priests, but since they can potentially get Technique feats via Paths they're actually one of the best equipped to utilize these mechanics. Assassins and Sages also come pretty close, with Assassins only getting temporary Melee Combat feats at level 5 and every 4 levels thereafter and Sages needing to use their Cross-Training every 4 levels to get it.

Even if you do have the right bonus feat options from your class, you're still pretty limited if you want to pick up a full Technique chain. Ordinarily a Soldier or Martial Artist can use feats from Career Level to dabble in noncombat stuff, or pick up feats from noncombat trees that complement their fighting style, and still do quite well for themselves on the basis of their bonus feats. If they want to max out a Technique chain, though, they'll be stuck rather monomaniacally focused on combat, and even for combat will be limited in where they can get feats to complement their chosen style. Burglars, Lancers, and Scouts seem to have it the best, with class bonus feats that allow them access both to weapon chains and to noncombat effects, but even they are still somewhat limited.

Basically, what I'm getting at here is trying to make sure these feats are being designed with this in mind. Is the benefit proportional to the opportunity cost involved, seeing as the opportunity cost seems to be a bit steeper than typical for a feat chain?

Morgenstern

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2015, 12:45:02 AM »
  So now that I'm actually playing the game and have a (much) more robust framing tool in 5-level Seed classes, I may just have to revisit these archetypes  :). It'll lose a little of the flexibility but should be vastly easier to integrate with other character options.

You may have to wait on the order I'm unlocking them though ;). But I'm open to suggestions!

If you play you can find me in-game on NikeAtWar. I have the most play on Loena and then Yasuo (the "PROJECT:" skins finally lured me into playing). Just picked up Nidalee so figuring out a solid shapeshifting/were-critter Seed class is really calling to me.

Edit: Ok, that turned out unexpectedly easy. At least as a first draft :).

« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 04:35:27 AM by Morgenstern »
At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse

Morgenstern

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2015, 12:01:05 AM »
  Tried out the angel sisters. Kayle's gonna take more practice (angry healer, huh...) but Morgana was quite intuitive for me. Which given my usual aversion to casters in toilet-paper armor was a surprise.
At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse