Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 20, 2014, 09:35:18 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  [Setting conversion] Rokugan
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: [Setting conversion] Rokugan  (Read 18519 times)
aegis
Fantasy Craft Playtester
Control

A little dab'll do ya.

View Profile WWW
« on: August 23, 2010, 03:50:35 AM »

OK, I've made decent progresses in my Rokugan from L5R to FC conversion.

Campaign qualities are almost all chosen. No sorcery, all miracles, and a new taint quality. I'm still thinking on how to introduce Honor to the thing, though.

The longest part of the work is done, with Clans shortly described and Classes associated with each of them. There is also a short selection of feats for each school. I've only done this for the Great Clans, though, and this leaves all the Minor Clans, the Imperial families, the Shinsei Brotherhood, the Ronins, and the Shadowlands.

Interests are basically done, with only 2 Alignments (the Kami and Fu Leng), all the other variations belonging to either of these. Languages and Studies covered too.

Next, feats. I've re-used many of the dueling preview feats, together with some new ones. And consequently, dueling rules appear in the combat section, with personal strategies since there was none presented in the preview. I'll update delete this part as soon as the official dueling rules are published. Among other feats, there are some related to the Shadowlands, and certainly a handful of shugenja-specific feats.

Gear should follow, with restriction to the feudal era. I do not plan many things here, but I do hope to create some Clan craftsmanship for weapons and/or armor. Or by family, I don't know. Either one for each Great Clan, but if that's too much, maybe just a few related to families who have a crafting history. That should be easy anyways.

I don't think I'll introduce Foes in this document. I do wish to make also a bestiary and a rogue gallery, but most certainly as a separate GM-designed document. To save place, basically. Among other things, I will introduce at least one new Taint-related NPC quality.

I'll post the document at the current advancement point soon. If you're interested and would like to help, here is what I haven't done yet and would gladly like help with:
  • Nonhuman Species: Kenku, Kitsune, Naga, and Nezumi. I have little knowledge of these races so any insight will help.
  • A Honor campaign quality: How to introduce Honor without changing the rules too much and without making it insignificant?
  • Dueling rules: I've just copied the rules presented in the Previews and Precursors on the wiki. The main missing thing is a bunch of general strategies. If you're familiar with dramatic conflicts, that should be interesting.
  • Rogue gallery and bestiary: I've done nothing there yet and though there are lots to do. If you like monster conversion ...

Feedback. Welcome. As always. Smiley
aegis
Fantasy Craft Playtester
Control

A little dab'll do ya.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 07:03:07 AM »

Hihi, here's what I came up with for armor and weapon craftsmanship during my lunch break. Most are copy-paste of existing craftsmanship upgrades, but there are a few new ones. Feedback welcome. Smiley

Clan-upgraded armor and weapons are not likely to be found in the hands of an outsider. If one were to be "found" unattended, it would be dishonorable not to return it to its rightful Clan. Sometimes, though, they are offered to honorable samurai as invaluable presents or rewards.

Armor Upgrades
Crab: +2 damage (unarmed/grapple); Disguise -4; Comp +2; Cost +50%
Crane: ACP +1; Speed +5 ft.; Comp +5; Weight -50%; Cost +200%
Dragon: Spell Damage Resistance 4; Cost +50%
Lion: +2 gear bonus with Intimidation; Cost +50%
Mantis: Falling Resistance 2, +2 gear bonus with Sneak in 1 terrain; Comp +2; Cost +50%
Phoenix: DR +1; Const +1 save; Comp +5; Cost +100%
Scorpion: DP +1; Disguise +4; Comp +2; Cost +50%
Unicorn: Subdual Resistance 4; Comp +2; Cost +100%

Crab: Kaiu-crafted armors have horns and blades erupting from each plate, making it the definitive armor for (very) close combat.
Crane: light and flexible, Kakita armors have the reputation to be as easy to wear as normal clothing.
Dragon: imbued by years of training with Dragon shugenja, Mirumoto armors protect their wearers against the arcane.
Lion: adorned with an authentic lion mane, Matsu armors have a fearsome appearance.
Mantis: made for stalkers, Tsuruchi armors are camouflaged and reinforced against the occasional fall.
Phoenix: Shiba have a tradition for robust armors that protect the vitals of devoted yojimbo.
Scorpion: the Bayushi family make armors that barely hinder the wearer's movements and look mostly like regular cloth.
Unicorn: the Shinjo have a history of long journeys and have created armors that protect against the element's fury.

Weapon Upgrades
Crab: always inflict lethal damage, target suffers 1 stress damage with a miss; Comp +2; Cost +100%
Crane: +2 gear bonus with Impress; Comp +5; Weight -25%; Cost +150%
Dragon: grants Whirling Strike trick (FC 221); Cost +100%
Lion: +2 threat range vs. lower Honor; Comp +2; Cost +150%
Mantis: adds lure quality; negates underwater combat penalties; Comp +2; Cost +50%
Phoenix: adds/increases guard +1 quality; Comp +2; Weight +25%; Cost +25%
Scorpion: +2 points of sneak attack damage; Comp -2; Weight -25%; Cost +50%
Unicorn: adds cavalry quality; +2 damage when mounted; Cost +100%

Crab: Kaiu blades, hammers, and tetsubo are massive and devastating, giving even Oni a pause.
Crane: the beautiful Doji blades are sought in the whole Empire for their superb steel engravings.
Dragon: Mirumoto blades are especially designed for two weapons fighting.
Lion: Akodo blades are powerful tools in the hand of the righteous, a deadly punishment for the unhonorables.
Mantis: the Yoritomo family forges unusual blades that remain just as useful underwater.
Phoenix: Shiba weapons are more tools of defense, just like the bushi that use them.
Scorpion: Shosuro blades are vicious, nasty weapons that slip easily between plates and scales.
Unicorn: the Utaku family forges weapons that prove extremely efficient on horseback.
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 12:23:05 PM »

For Iaijutsu duels, what you want are the standoff rules.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 01:03:16 PM »

Style Feats

Strength of Purity
In Rokugan honor is a force more powerful than steel.
Prerequisites: Honor 3 or greater.
Benefit: At the begining of each combat you gain 3 Edge.

Grin

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
aegis
Fantasy Craft Playtester
Control

A little dab'll do ya.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 01:25:45 AM »

Sleek, elegant. Love it!
For Iaijutsu duels, what you want are the standoff rules.
I like this idea too, but since there have been Dueling rules developed as a dramatic conflict here, I'd like to try that.

Here is what it looks like for now (NB: this time it's in English):
http://www.le-scriptorium.com/uploads/file/Aides_de_jeu/Mastercraft/l5r_conversion_guide.pdf

It is far from over and some things written are not definitive yet (particularly Bushido). I will also change the suggested feats once the Feats chapter is done.

Hope you like it!

Some other things to do if you want:
  • Bushido: I don't like the Bushido/Honor rules I've designed! I have other ideas I'd like to test, but feel free to give your own!
  • Minor Clans, Imperial families, ronin, and Shadowlands: Need short descriptions, schools, associated classes, suggested feats ... I know, boring.
Also, I really do like Krensky's suggestion to use Stand Off rules. What about Resolve-based Dueling rules instead of BAB? Would it cause any sort of trouble?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 05:34:20 AM by aegis » Logged
aegis
Fantasy Craft Playtester
Control

A little dab'll do ya.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 06:23:59 AM »

Another attempt for the Bushido. Not quite satisfied yet, but I already prefer this version:

Bushido (Permanent)
In Rokugan, all characters possess a quality called Honor. It is an intrinsic measure of a character’s moral fiber and devotion to the tenets of bushi, the principles that define the duty of a samurai. It is a measure of a man’s nobility and purity, and is not subject to the perception of others. A samurai with high Honor is loyal to a fault and lives or dies by the sanctity of his word. By contrast, a character with a low Honor is untrustworthy and overly concerned with worldly matters.
Each character gains a permanent Honor bonus that starts at +5, which is what one might expect from the average samurai.
You may increase this starting value by accomplishing heroic deeds and spending Reputation at a cost of 10 Reputation per Honor point. Your Honor value may never exceed your Career Level + 8. For example, you may gain:
  • 1 point of Honor for a honorable act putting you in a difficult position.
  • 2 points of Honor for a selfless act endangering you or putting you in a very unpleasant position.
  • 3 points of Honor for a heroic act putting your life or something extremely valuable to you in jeopardy.
However, you may also lose Honor points by selfish actions, dishonorable conduct, or even simple foolishness. Honor point losses should be proportional to the fault and even more severe for characters with high Honor. However, no single loss should exceed 10 points, even in the direst situations.
All Honor point gains and losses are left at the GM's sole discretion.
Honor may be used in one of the following ways:
  • You may gain a certain insight of a person’s Honor with a successful Recognition check (FC 187).
  • Several new character options presented in this chapter have effects based on Honor.
  • Once per session, a character may reroll a failed check, using his Honor bonus instead of his normal bonus. If he fails again, though, he loses 5 Honor points.

With these changes, Morg's feat would require 10 Honor for instance. Here are two others:

Soul of the Ancestors
Your devotion and honor may not be questioned by anyone.
Prerequisites: Lion samurai
Benefit: Once per dramatic conflict, you may substitute your Honor bonus for one challenge. Also, your maximum Honor value increases to your Career Level + 12.

Court Duelist
You can defend your own honor.
Benefit: Your Dueling Focus is set to one-half the number of Style feats you possess, rounded up, if not already higher. Further bonuses do not increase this value. When you take this feat you may reassign any weapon proficiencies you had previously spent on gaining Focus.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 06:25:55 AM by aegis » Logged
aegis
Fantasy Craft Playtester
Control

A little dab'll do ya.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 12:16:25 PM »

Last thoughts of the day, I've designed a dozen strategies for dueling conflicts. Like it? No? Why? Smiley

Breath: You breathe slowly, preparing yourself for the next challenge to come. You may accept a –4 penalty on your check. If you succeed, you gain a +2 bonus to the next challenge.
Calling: You call forth your luck to guide your blade. You may spend 2 action dice to boost this check.
Calm Down: For a moment, you evade all stress and exhaustion to find some rest. Once per duel, you may accept a –8 penalty on your check. If you succeed, you lose all accumulated stress or subdual damage.
Detachment: You seem unconcerned by what is going on, but of course, it’s just a trick. You may accept a –4 penalty on your check. If you succeed, you also automatically succeed with a Threaten action targeting your opponent.
Focus: Your intense focus is obvious. All your attention is on the duel. You gain a +2 bonus on your check but suffer 1d10 heat damage.
Gaze: You watch your adversary in the eye, letting him know you don’t expect to lose. Your opponent and yourself make opposed Resolve checks. Whoever wins gains a +2 bonus on his check.
Hold On: You are just about to draw your blade, but you wait ... just a little longer. This is the normal strategy for a duel, implying no malus nor special effect.
Opening: Look! There’s an opening in your defense. Once per duel, you may accept a –8 penalty on your check but substitute your Bluff bonus in place of your base attack bonus.
Provoke: A weird look, a specific hand posture, and you trick your opponent to attack. You may accept a –4 penalty on your check. If you succeed, your opponent may not choose any strategy whose penalty is less than –4 for the next challenge.
Strike First: You only have one tiny chance. But if you succeed, it will all be over. You may accept a –12 penalty on your check. If you succeed, you win the duel instantly.
Unnerve: Your constant twitching is unnerving. You may accept a –4 penalty on your check. If you succeed, you also automatically succeed with a Tire action targeting your opponent.
Willpower: Your determination is the key to victory. Once per duel, you may accept a –8 penalty on your check but substitute your Resolve bonus in place of your base attack bonus.
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 12:35:57 PM »

Dislike.

Dueling doesn't need a Dramatic Conflict.

The point of Dramtic Conflicts is to make skill usage as involved as combat.

The game already has rules for killing people. They're in the combat chapter. What you want are rules for Iaijutsu, which is a standoff.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 12:55:31 PM »

Last thoughts of the day, I've designed a dozen strategies for dueling conflicts. Like it? No? Why? Smiley

Recomend formating them as (dueling trick) so they may be purchased with proficiencies. The rules are set up so you don't need (and probably shouldn't have) strategies unless you've invested in dueling to some degree. Limit most or all of them to once per duel, so a player can't squat on one strategy over and over.

Dueling as a subsystem may not be approriate for all settings, but every incarnation of Rokugan as a gaming environment has had a mini-game for it - its NOT just 'moar combat' in this setting. It's ritualized, specialized, and more exclusive than a base attack bonus.

Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 01:22:48 PM »

Is this a mastercraft of 2.0 based conversion?

glimmerrat
Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 01:40:53 PM »

What you want are rules for Iaijutsu, which is a standoff.

This. Your idea isn't bad, I just feel that it is unnecessarily complicated when the standoff does what you want in a much simpler way. I like the armor and weapon mods btw. Very nice!

Perhaps you could convert some of the basic schools into specialities? Such as:

Kakita Bushi
One man, one sword, one strike.
• Bonus Feat: Quick Draw
• Attribute Training: The lower of your Dexterity or Charisma scores increases by 1 (your choice if a tie). Apply this bonus after any modifiers from your Species or Talent.
• Edged Proficiency: You gain the Edged proficiency.
• Natural Elegance: Your Appearance bonus increases by +1.
• Paired Skills: Each time you gain 1 or more ranks in the Impress skill, you gain equal ranks in the Resolve skill. This may not increase your Resolve skill beyond its maximum rank.

Just an idea.

VAO Control; Crafty Freelancer; Freethinker

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 01:46:14 PM »

Will someone please explain to me stand offs in Mastercraft, 'cause given a year or more to try and work them in, I didn't see a good solution Huh?.

Stress damage is used very differently and there are NONE of the tools for altering your thresholds that 2.0 offered. No feats, no Origin benefits, no class abilities.

I enjoy the parallels as much as the next person, but its just as much "adding a new system" as any of the other solutions.

glimmerrat
Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 01:55:55 PM »

Hey, I just thought that running a duel as a dramatic conflict was too complicated.

VAO Control; Crafty Freelancer; Freethinker

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2010, 02:05:33 PM »

In most environments I'd agree. But most environments don't enshrine a thousand year dispute over how best to stab someone in the face as the cornerstone of an argument between tens of thousands of members of the warrior caste Smiley.

The presence of a mini-game, ANY mini-game, is the sort of thing you can toggle on or off when you use the material at your own table. Its a case of do you want players to have the option to heavily specialize in something.

But whatever. I'll look forward to seeing how it turns out. Straight up combat rules, standoffs, mini-game... They all offer potentially interesting solutions.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 02:11:39 PM by Morgenstern » Logged

Doublebond
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2010, 02:09:41 PM »

I'm having a hard time seeing why it couldn't just be handled with combat. I've never played L5R, mind you, but surely any sort of small-scale violent dispute should be capable of being covered with straight-forward combat rules?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: