Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 16, 2014, 02:30:56 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  4th Ed Darksun conversions
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 4th Ed Darksun conversions  (Read 11738 times)
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2010, 06:12:33 AM »

Dwarven Heritage
     You are a Mul, possessing the best of both species but most of your kind are born to be slaves.
     Prerequisites: Human, Level 1 only.
     Benefit: You may purchase feats as a Dwarf, your Constitution increases by 1, you gain the improved stability quality and you gain Enlightened Resolve. However, the starting Disposition towards you of anyone who doesn't possess this feat is reduced by 10.
     Special: When you gain this feat, you may permanently reduce any of your attributes by 2 to gain an additional Species feat with the requirements "Dwarf, Level 1 only".

Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2010, 09:25:01 AM »

Thri-keen
     Type: Medium Folk (1x1, Reach 1). Your wounds are equal to your Constitution.
     Attributes: +2 to lower of Dexterity or Wisdom, –2 Charisma. [.5]
     Speed: 30 ft.
     Claws: You gain the Claw I natural attack. [1]
     Cold Blooded: You require only one-quarter of the amount of food that a warm-blooded character your size does to survive. However, you suffer 1 additional point of damage per die from cold and are sickened for a number of rounds equal to one-half the cold damage taken. If you are suffering continuous cold damage – such as from the environment – you are sickened until escaping the source of the damage. [-.5]
     Enlightened Athletics: Your maximum Athletics rank increases to your Career Level + 5. Only the highest bonus from any single enlightened ability may apply to each skill. [1]
     Light Sleeper: Sleeping is not a Terminal Situation for you. [.5]
     Low-Light Vision: You have the dark vision I quality, and may ignore the effects of dim and faint lighting. [1]
     Multi Armed: You may simultaneously hold and arm up to four 1-handed, two 1-handed and one 2-handed, or two 2-handed weapons or objects. Also, each round that you hold no more than this, you may Handle an Item as a free action. You also gain a +1 bonus with skill checks made as part of a Grapple action per two of your hands that are free (maximum +2). [2.5]
     Thick Hide 2: You are considered to be wearing partial armor that provides Damage Reduction 2. This damage reduction does not stack with other armor (only the best protection applies while wearing additional armor). If you gain thick hide from multiple sources, your hide offers the highest single DR value + 1 per additional hide benefit (e.g. thick hide 4, thick hide 3, and thick hide 1 offer DR 6). [1]

Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2010, 12:28:50 PM »

I don't know.

It just doesn't say "giant 'canibalistic' insect" to me.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Dhampire
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2010, 08:09:36 AM »

It just doesn't say "giant 'canibalistic' insect" to me.

Seemed good to me.

If you want "alien insect mind" added, you could add the following:

Type: Large Folk (1x2, Reach 1).  Your maximum wounds are equal to your Constitution x1.5 (rounded down).
Improved Stability: You’re considered 1 Size category largers for carrying capacity, trample attacks, and resisting bull rush and trip attempts so long as you are standing firmly on the ground and not climbing, flying or riding.
Aloof: +2 error range on Impress and Sense Motive checks targeting other species.
Reviled: the disposition of non-race decrease by 10.

I aim to misbehave.
Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2010, 08:57:57 AM »

Thri-keen
     Type: Medium Folk (1x1, Reach 1). Your wounds are equal to your Constitution.
     Attributes: +2 toDexterity or Wisdom, –2 Charisma. [1]
     Speed: 40 ft. [1]
     Claws: You gain the Claw I natural attack. [1]
     Cold Blooded: You require only one-quarter of the amount of food that a warm-blooded character your size does to survive. However, you suffer 1 additional point of damage per die from cold and are sickened for a number of rounds equal to one-half the cold damage taken. If you are suffering continuous cold damage – such as from the environment – you are sickened until escaping the source of the damage. [-.5]
     Enlightened Athletics: Your maximum Athletics rank increases to your Career Level + 5. Only the highest bonus from any single enlightened ability may apply to each skill. [1]
     Light Sleeper: Sleeping is not a Terminal Situation for you. [.5]
     Low-Light Vision: You have the dark vision I quality, and may ignore the effects of dim and faint lighting. [1]
     Multi Armed: You may simultaneously hold and arm up to four 1-handed, two 1-handed and one 2-handed, or two 2-handed weapons or objects. You also gain a +1 bonus with skill checks made as part of a Grapple action if two or more of your hands that are free. If you gain the Many-Armed feat you lose these benefits and the lower of your Strength of Dexterity rises by 1. [1]
     Thick Hide 2: You are considered to be wearing partial armor that provides Damage Reduction 2. This damage reduction does not stack with other armour (only the best protection applies while wearing additional armor). If you gain thick hide from multiple sources, your hide offers the highest single DR value + 1 per additional hide benefit (e.g. thick hide 4, thick hide 3, and thick hide 1 offer DR 6). [1]

Thri-Kreen are only medium sized
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 02:34:05 PM by Mister Andersen » Logged

Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2010, 11:30:26 AM »

Too many moving parts.

Should probably give them the bonus feat many armed (3 points).

I really don't think aloof or anything based on it are 1 point penalties. Increasing error range by 2 doesn't come close to being as restrictive as being hard capped at 15, AND it ignores your own species. That's -.5, tops.

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2010, 12:32:45 PM »

The error range boost for one skill is .5, two is 1.

Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2010, 12:50:50 PM »

And IMO neither of those is worth that. That borders on free point cheese and a bad thing.

Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2010, 01:04:27 PM »

That's the way the maths worked out when Blankbeard and I reversed engineered the errated origins. Personally I wouldn't have a problem with the quality also decreasing threat range much the way Monstrous Defence does.

Too many moving parts.

Should probably give them the bonus feat many armed (3 points).

I specifically didn't want to give the feat for two reasons. The first is that it gives them the benefit of one pair of arms more than they're meant to have, the second is that I didn't want them being able to buy extra feats out of the box.

However, everything else is essentially a direct port of their 4th ed write up from the Dark Sun book.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 01:10:14 PM by Mister Andersen » Logged

Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2010, 01:27:23 PM »

That's the way the maths worked out when Blankbeard and I reversed engineered the errated origins. Personally I wouldn't have a problem with the quality also decreasing threat range much the way Monstrous Defence does.

*shrug* Then I'll just quit commenting on Origins utilizing the option. In my mind they're going to be abusive and never balance right.

I specifically didn't want to give the feat for two reasons. The first is that it gives them the benefit of one pair of arms more than they're meant to have

Oops. Youre right. My bad. Let me eye that again as I think there's probably a cheaper solution.

However, everything else is essentially a direct port of their 4th ed write up from the Dark Sun book.

Sure. Seemed like a solid start. But if they can be streamlined down a little it'll make them easier to use/play.

Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2010, 02:25:56 PM »

Try this as a 1 point bonus~

Multi-Armed: You may simultaneously hold and arm up to four 1-handed, two 1-handed and one 2-handed, or two 2-handed weapons or objects. You also gain a +1 bonus with skill checks made as part of a Grapple action if two or more of your hands that are free. If you gain the Many-Armed feat you lose these benefits and the lower of your Strength of Dexterity rises by 1.

I'd keep the 40 speed but dump the alien mind (obviously Wink).

Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2010, 02:35:05 PM »

Ammended.

Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2010, 02:42:53 PM »

Hi-yaaah! Wiki-do!!

http://www.crafty-games.com/index.php?q=content/darksun-adaptation
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 02:57:27 PM by Morgenstern » Logged

Dhampire
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2010, 04:24:21 PM »

Thri-Kreen are only medium sized

Thri-Kreen in the original AD&D 2nd Ed Dark Sun, were Large with a thorax sticking out behind them, hence a 1x2 footprint.  This is when they became popular, and got their own book.  (Thri-Kreen of Athas)

Before DS, and in 3rd/4th products, there is no thorax and they are Medium.

So, while they may currently be called Medium, they have not always been so, hence why I presented my option to adjust the species for those who want them as they appear in traditional Dark Sun.

I aim to misbehave.
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2010, 04:33:18 PM »

I smell splinter race feat Smiley.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: