Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 29, 2014, 07:08:45 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Fantasy Craft
| | |-+  "Steampunk Sorcerers"?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Steampunk Sorcerers"?  (Read 3174 times)
Morfedel
Agent

View Profile
« on: August 18, 2010, 08:31:49 PM »

The main book discusses the five ages, including Reason and Industrial, and even suggests at the existence of Steampunk Sorcerers.

Will there be rules for these? Smiley
Crafty_Alex
Crafty Staff
Control

Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 08:53:33 PM »

Yes.

ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 10:21:51 PM »

Yes.

Tease

Number Three
Handler

I have become Deathbus, destoyer of threads.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 11:29:38 PM »

Bwuh?

mach1.9pants
Operative

Supersonic Underwear!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 11:41:38 PM »

Maybe is tease, Yes is confirmation.

Gloria Finis
Morfedel
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 05:39:12 AM »

Yes.

You know, you need to stop talking so much. Tongue

So, any idea when, just as a guess? Possible product name? The color of your socks? Smiley

James
Doublebond
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 07:25:57 AM »

Yes.

So, any idea when, just as a guess? Possible product name? The color of your socks? Smiley

James

Yes.
Morfedel
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 07:32:15 AM »

Yes.

James

Yes.

People here are just too verbose. You think I have time to be reading these novel-length posts?  Tongue
Crafty_Alex
Crafty Staff
Control

Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 11:47:24 AM »

Yes.

James

On specifics:

* Reason era already exists in the core book.
* Industrial will be expanded in Gear for the Ages (which has been announced).
* Steampunk sorcerers are just arcane casters in the Industrial era - and Spellbound will be covering arcane casters in spades.

Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 12:03:59 PM »

I always enjoy when I hottly desired concept is easily managed as a mere by-product of logical development and expansion of a system Grin.

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2010, 12:53:41 PM »

* Steampunk sorcerers are just arcane casters in the Industrial era - and Spellbound will be covering arcane casters in spades.

And it certainly can't hurt that said product will have The Seer, master of mystical-tinkerage.
Morfedel
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2010, 01:00:37 PM »

Yes.

James

On specifics:

* Reason era already exists in the core book.
* Industrial will be expanded in Gear for the Ages (which has been announced).

What I meant was, some kind of separate rules governing sorcery and science. For example, iron kingdoms; their mechanika was more than simply the sum of its parts.
Foghorn
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2010, 01:39:35 PM »

I always viewed mechanika as some really nice fluff in order to install a battery onto your magical items
Number Three
Handler

I have become Deathbus, destoyer of threads.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2010, 10:15:47 PM »

Ah, the OP was asking for special rules for one of the back cover blurbs.  I somehow missed that.

I always viewed mechanika as some really nice fluff in order to install a battery onto your magical items

At some point, Crafty is going to have to print in a book with 72 point type, "THE CRUNCH AND FLUFF ARE ENTIRELY UNRELATED UNTIL YOU MAKE THEM SO."  I doubt it would get the point across, but like the sniper five levels higher than you, it would be nice to be able to point at the page when the topic comes up.  Evil

Morfedel
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2010, 11:04:55 PM »

You know, guys, I DO understand the difference between crunch and fluff. But I also understand the differences between different types of crunch.

An Iron Kingdoms Mechanik is far different from a D&D wizard, even though they are using the same basic rules. Mechanika wasn't just fluff, it had a completely different set of rules.

And that's what I was asking. I'm not sure why I'm being criticized over this: there are no rules for a hybrid blending of science and magic in Fantasy Craft. There are no Steamjacks or Warcasters and the like, and yet I'm having fingers shaken at me like they are and I was too stupid to catch it.

I mean, after all, these two quotes:

"Technology continues to displace magic, forcing mages to specialize and cloister, though some embrace and change with the times. These few, and their divine
counterparts, use their power in new and exciting ways, experimenting as
much as the great thinkers of the time." (from the era of Reason)

and:

"Magic often combines with science in the industrial era, resulting in magical technologies beyond imagination. “Steampunk” sorcerers create lightning
bolt guns, time-travel sleds, clockwork animals, and other wild gadgetry that baffles even modern minds. A few mages continue to reject science, however, retreating from society to become witches and cultists" (from era of Industrial)

Suggests that magic and science can in fact blend to create things that are not present in the current rules. And yet I'm getting lambasted here for asking for crunch for something that is directly mentioned in the fluff, for an era that is presented as available?

I'm not sure what I said wrong here to deserve this treatment, over a simple question.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: