Author Topic: Dealing with PCs in Full Plate  (Read 1499 times)

Krensky

• Control
  • WWTWD?
    • View Profile
Re: Dealing with PCs in Full Plate
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2016, 08:04:57 AM »
A thing I've instituted in my games is a rule where anything above chain takes two people to fully equip, otherwise they can only get into their fittings and leg armor (1 full action per fitting and 1-10 FA for the main armor - which is still extremely quick).

Chain still took two helpers and twenty to thirty minutes. Arming aman was a careful, fiddly business because things had to be carefully hung and tied to the arming harness and each other.
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing without things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
PSN: Krensky_   Steam + GOG: Krensky

jarvvoitlus

• Agent
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2016, 11:27:30 AM »
Thanks for all the advice guys, there were a lot of things I overlooked. Especially the 1/2 DR from being sprawled, which would've been helpful when the chainsaw crab kept tripping him with a whip.

savaze

• Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2016, 12:23:27 PM »

Chain still took two helpers and twenty to thirty minutes. Arming aman was a careful, fiddly business because things had to be carefully hung and tied to the arming harness and each other.
[/quote]

"Chain" Mail is as simple as slipping it over your head once you have a gambeson on. Mail can still be worn without a gambeson, but with a lot of wear-and-tear and fatigue on your body. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrj_uokZQAA (You might like the rest of his channel, I've posted it on the forums in the past. He does a ton with armor, it's history, function, and forms.)

A plate harness (articulated plate in FC) takes between ~5-8 minutes to put on for wearer and their assistant if they're familiar with the process (start to finish).

Krensky

• Control
  • WWTWD?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2016, 03:50:22 PM »
It takes him ten minutes to dress in his harness with experienced help and he specifically mentions that lacing up chausses, mitts, and coif would take longer.
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing without things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
PSN: Krensky_   Steam + GOG: Krensky

Shadelon

• Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2016, 09:18:48 PM »
Don't forget that a trip through the desert or when he is sleeping/just waking will force him to be out of his armor. One will heat him up and dehydrate him while the other is because metal armor is really uncomfortable to sleep in.

I have a player who wears plate armour too. Problem is the campaign takes place mostly in a desert lol. I looked for rules on how to deal with heat damage with plate armour but couldn't find anything. What would you suggest?

Antilles

• Mastermind
  • Control
  • Do I look like a people person?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2016, 09:32:27 PM »
Penalty on the heatwave save equal to ACP?
"After all is said and done, more is said than done."
- Aesop
Mortality clarified in a single strike!

pawsplay

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2016, 02:34:18 PM »
Don't forget that a trip through the desert or when he is sleeping/just waking will force him to be out of his armor. One will heat him up and dehydrate him while the other is because metal armor is really uncomfortable to sleep in.

I have a player who wears plate armour too. Problem is the campaign takes place mostly in a desert lol. I looked for rules on how to deal with heat damage with plate armour but couldn't find anything. What would you suggest?

That their basic concept is probably not all that logical in real world terms. :) However, unless the option is not available, Endure Elements is a 0 level spell that lasts 24 hours, so any character in plate would probably contrive to gain access to it. Otherwise, the player is going to look for (and find) heat resistance.

If you do want to try to impose penalties, consider:

Discretionary: The GM can apply a 4 to +4 modifier to represent circumstances not covered by an existing rule. For example, he might apply +2 when a character makes an Impress check after a moving comment, or 4 when trying to direct a horse into a pitch black cave (1) to escape trebuchet attacks falling nearby (3). The GM is encouraged to use discretionary modifiers to make any skill attempt more interesting.

When heat damage is inflicted by an extreme environment (i.e. a heat wave), an exposed character makes a Survival check (DC 20). With success, he suffers 1d6 subdual damage every four hours; otherwise, he suffers 1d6 subdual damage every hour.

So, by the RAW, the most reasonable interpretation is that the character faces a Survival DC 20 check with a -4 penalty when he braves the heat.