Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 01, 2014, 01:00:38 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Fantasy Craft
| | |-+  Pathfinder Adventure Path Conversions
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pathfinder Adventure Path Conversions  (Read 15671 times)
Paladin
Jr. Agent

Knight of the Cross

View Profile
« on: August 17, 2010, 06:43:58 AM »

So I've thought about trying to adapt a Pathfinder adventure module for use with Fantasy Craft. I have started running monster blocks in the latest module, #37 through the Fantasy Craft conversion process. I've only done three so far but I seem to be getting faster as I go. I hope to do some more tonight (I'm only posting stats because I want to present this as a fan enhancement to Paizo's product, not a replacement.

Ochere Eurypterid (Small Animal Walker -- 45XP)
Small Animal 1x1
Strength 8, Dexterity 10, Constitution 10, Int --, Wisdom 10, Charisma 2; SZ S (1x1, Reach 1); 20 ft walk.
Init VII, Atk I, Def V, Res III, Health II, Comp --; Skills: Athletics VIII;
Qualities: Aquatic II, Blindsight, Darkvision I, Mook, Superior Swimmer III
Attacks Weapons: Pinchers: Claws I x2 (dmg 1d4-1 lethal), Stinger: Tail Slap I (1d6-1, Reach +1), Save Attack I (DC 10, Dexterity Draining, Supernatural Attack (Tail Slap))
Treasure: none

Common Eurypterid (Medium Animal Walker -- 56XP)
Medium Animal 1x1
Strength 10, Dexterity 10, Constitution 10, Int --, Wisdom 10, Charisma 2; SZ M (1x1, Reach 1); 20 ft walk.
Init VI, Atk IV, Def IX, Res III, Health IV, Comp --; Skills: Athletics VII;
Qualities: Aquatic II, Blindsight, Darkvision I, Superior Swimmer III
Attacks Weapons: Claws I x2 (dmg 1d6 lethal), Tail Slap I (1d8, Reach +1), Save Attack I (DC 10, Constitution Draining, Supernatural Attack (Tail Slap))

Bluetip Eurypterid (Large Animal Walker -- 72 XP)
Strength 14, Dexterity 12, Constitution 12, Int --, Wisdom 10, Charisma 2; SZ L (2x2, Reach 2); 20 ft walk.
Init VI, Atk IV, Def IX, Res III, Health IV, Comp --; Skills: Athletics V;
Qualities: Aquatic II, Blindsight, Darkvision I, Superior Swimmer IV, Tough I
Attacks Weapons: Claws I x2 (dmg 1d8+2 lethal), Tail Slap I (1d10+2 lethal, Reach +1), Save Attack II (DC 15, Constitution Draining, Supernatural Attack (Tail Slap))

Any comments or suggestions?

(Edited after I decided to switch the poison to an extraordinary attack and redid the point totals.)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 11:14:41 PM by Paladin » Logged

"You don't fix faith, River. It fixes you." -Shepherd Book, _Firefly_ "Jaynestown"
EmptyOwl
Recruit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 09:25:12 AM »

Sir, your timing is awesome!  I just decided to start up a FC campaign as a test to see if the system is acceptable for my main campaign and was planning on using the very  Pathfinder adventure you have started work on.

I am looking forward to more of your conversions!

Psion
Control

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 11:05:09 AM »

Having successfully adapted 3.5 adventures to FC adventures of highly different levels in the past, I was actually considering running this for my 9th level group.

The Secret Volcano Base: my RPG blog currently discussing Fantasy Craft and Freeport!
Paladin
Jr. Agent

Knight of the Cross

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 11:14:32 AM »

I plan on doing some more conversions tonight after work.

"You don't fix faith, River. It fixes you." -Shepherd Book, _Firefly_ "Jaynestown"
EmptyOwl
Recruit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 12:06:06 PM »

Our conversions of the ochre sea-scorp are slightly different and I was stuck on the poison.  After looking at it (and not liking ability impairments in general) I was thinking of a slowing or sickening poison instead.

Also, why make them mooks?  And why superior swimming on them since they have aquatic II?

I have no experience playing or running FC/Spycraft so I am just asking to know, not knocking you.

Thanks!
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 01:16:13 PM »

Our conversions of the ochre sea-scorp are slightly different and I was stuck on the poison.  After looking at it (and not liking ability impairments in general) I was thinking of a slowing or sickening poison instead.

Also, why make them mooks?  And why superior swimming on them since they have aquatic II?

I have no experience playing or running FC/Spycraft so I am just asking to know, not knocking you.

I can't speak to his reasons for making them mooks, but the quality makes a NPC into a glass cannon. For standard NPCs, it makes them auto-fail their damage save. Essentially, one point of damage kills them. For special NPCs, it removes their vitality leaving only their wounds. In this case that would be 4 WP.

Mook is used when you want an NPC to be able to hurt the PCs, but be incredibly fragile at the same time.

Superior Swimmer lets them swim faster. Aquatic II makes them water breathers who don't suffer penalties underwater.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Paladin
Jr. Agent

Knight of the Cross

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 01:30:48 PM »

Well, the reason I made them mooks was that the as factional CR creatures, the original intent seems for them to be easy kill critters (the Pathfinder equivalent to minions). It's my plan to do the same with most fractional CR monsters I convert. It's easy to remove if you don't like it.

It does seem Pathfinder is a little too fond of attribute damage. For my first couple conversions I've tried to stick fairly close to the source material. Frankly I might switch it to slowing sickening effect myself. After playing in a heavily homebrewed D&D campaign where attribute damage was handed out like crazy it really seemed to be a no fun solution as my character lost the ability to be effective and then took more ability damage....

EmptyOwl
Recruit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 01:38:04 PM »

Ah, good point on making them mooks as fractional CR critters, I like that. 
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 01:44:21 PM »

I figured I might share these here. They're what I got to in my Runelords game here before it fell apart.

Goblin (Small Folk Walker - 30 XP): Str 10, Dex 10, Con 10, Int 10, Wis 09, Cha 06; SZ S (1x1, Reach 1); Spd 30 ft. ground; Init III; Atk V; Def III; Res III; Health III; Comp III; Skills: Blend V, Sneak V; Qualities: Darkvision I, interest (Evil, Lamashtu), meek, swarm.

Gear: Dogslicer (Crude Short Sword), Armor (Crude Leather)
Treasure: 1C, 1L

Goblin Warchanter (Small Folk Walker 60 XP): Str 8, Dex 13, Con 11, Int 8, Wis 11, Cha 11; SZ S (11, Reach 1); Spd 30 ft. ground; Init V; Atk III; Def II; Res VII; Health III; Comp V; Skills: Acrobatics VI, Impress IV, Sense Motive VI, Sneak VI, Spellcasting II; Spells: Scare I, Flare; Qualities: beguiling, darkvision I, feat (Combat Instincts), interests (Evil, Lamashtu), swarm, meek.

Gear: Whip (Crude Bullwhip), Dogslicer (Crude Short Sword), Armor (Crude Partial Studded Leather), Healing Vitality Cocktail Potion (since she has one in Burnt Offerings)
Treasure: 1C, 1L, 1A

Goblin Commando (Small Folk Walker 74 XP): Str 12, Dex 13, Con 12, Int 8, Wis 11, Cha 8; SZ S (11, Reach 1); Spd 30 ft. ground; Init V; Atk V; Def III; Res VII; Health III; Comp III; Skills: Notice IV, Ride X, Sneak VI, Survival IV; Qualities: charge attack, darkvision I, feat (Combat Instincts, Polearm Basics, Polearm Mastery), interests (Evil, Lamashtu), swarm, tough I.

Gear: Horsechopper (Crude Halberd), Dogslicer (Crude Short Sword), Crude Partial Studded Leather with Light Fittings
Treasure: 1C, 1L, 1A

Goblin Dog (Medium Animal Walker 59 XP): Str 12, Dex 12, Con 12, Int 5, Wis 10, Cha 8; SZ M (11, Reach 1); Spd 60 ft. ground; Init II; Atk IV; Def IV; Res III; Health IV; Comp ; Skills: Search IV, Sneak II, Survival IV, Tactics IV; Qualities: darkvision I, feat (Wolf Pack Basics, Wolf Pack Mastery), improved sense (scent), stench, tough I.

Attacks/Weapons: Bite II (trip)
Treasure: 2T

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Paladin
Jr. Agent

Knight of the Cross

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 09:12:10 PM »

Okay, here is tonight's installment. I really like this monster but I modified it a bit to put into a FantasyCraft framework:

Yellow Musk Creeper (Medium Plant Walker -- 80XP): Str 12, Dex 12, Con 12, Int --, Wis 10, Cha 8; SZ M (1x1); Spd 5 ft. ground; Init IV; Atk VII; Def IV; Res V; Health IV; Comp --; Athletics V; Sense Motive VII; Qualities: Beguiling, Blindsight, Killing Conversion (to Yellow Musk Zombie), Grappler, Improved stability, light sleeper
Attack:
Pollen Aura (paralyzing attack II (DC15) aura)
Spore Infestation (tentacle slap I 1d8, armor piecing 2, bleed, grab)

It uses beguiling to lure its foes in. It then uses its aura to paralyze its victims in place and finally grapples and infests its victims using its tendrils with its tentacle slap attack. When they die from the Spore Infestation attack they rise as new Yellow Musk Zombies.

Yellow Musk Zombie
(Use Risen Peasent on Fantasy Craft page 293 but replace Undead trait with Plant trait) -- 25 XP
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 09:58:48 PM by Paladin » Logged

Banesfinger
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2010, 10:42:10 AM »

A question on 3.5/4e/PF adventure (AP) conversions:

Magic is pretty inherit to these systems.  You need magic items to keep up with the 'power curve' of higher level monsters.  Most adventures assume a certain level of magic (e.g. low level parties should be able to magically heal, higher level parties should have access to fly spells and water breathing, etc).  The Adventure Paths are written with this assumption.

But Fantasy Craft does not make this assumption.  It's 'power curve' works perfectly fine with little and even NO magic.   

How are you handling magic (items, spells, etc) in these adventure paths?  Do you have to make an entire re-write of plot twists that assume magic?

Psion
Control

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2010, 04:57:31 PM »

How are you handling magic (items, spells, etc) in these adventure paths?  Do you have to make an entire re-write of plot twists that assume magic?

Like what? I can only think of one in Serpent Skull (which I am converting), and I think I am going to leave it as is.

Serpent Skull spoiler ahead:

(click to show/hide)

In some cases, the conversion itself makes magic non-essential. For example, armor piercing and certain class abilities replace the need for magic weapons to penetrate DR.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2010, 05:02:32 PM by Psion » Logged

The Secret Volcano Base: my RPG blog currently discussing Fantasy Craft and Freeport!
Banesfinger
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2010, 05:55:31 PM »

In some cases, the conversion itself makes magic non-essential. For example, armor piercing and certain class abilities replace the need for magic weapons to penetrate DR.

I see what you mean, thanks.
I'm going to start converting Curse of the Crimson Throne (please let me know if anyone has done any work on this).
One of the most common magic items NPCs in these adventures carries are potions of cure (light, med, etc).  Do you suggest just removing this, or a FC replacement (a mundane consumable perhaps)?
Psion
Control

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2010, 06:49:52 PM »

I see what you mean, thanks.
I'm going to start converting Curse of the Crimson Throne (please let me know if anyone has done any work on this).
One of the most common magic items NPCs in these adventures carries are potions of cure (light, med, etc).  Do you suggest just removing this, or a FC replacement (a mundane consumable perhaps)?

Have you run the game before. My experience is, using the default settings, combat in FC is pretty forgiving and recovery is pretty rapid. Potions aren't so much needed. That being said, potions aren't "real" magic items in FC, so giving out some elixirs won't hurt much. My gut instinct would be to half the number of consumables like potions NPCs have.

More generally, magic weapons and armor are nowhere near as ubiquitous in FC, and I generally convert weapons or armor less than +3 into improved versions of basic weapons. So a +1 longsword might becomes a longsword with superior materials and armor piercing, etc.

Paladin
Jr. Agent

Knight of the Cross

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2010, 09:23:26 PM »

Sorry, I had to put this project on the back burner. It's gotten to be if I don't work on one game I don't work on any any at all and the Dresden Files RPG won. Sad

I hope to run or play Fantasy Craft again someday soon.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: