Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 03, 2014, 02:07:02 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Off-Topic
| | |-+  Boardgames Compendium: News, Reviews & Reactions
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Boardgames Compendium: News, Reviews & Reactions  (Read 6496 times)
Desertpuma
Control

Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2010, 01:02:52 AM »

It usually easy enough to figure out who is going to win, true but it is also a great game to get children involved. I don't think it is boring. We switch up elements of it when we play and make it more interesting.

Crusader Citadel

Living Spycraft Mastermind Council Member

Crafty For Life!
glimmerrat
Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2010, 01:08:46 AM »

If we're bringing up card games, I think that Poo! is the funniest, most low-brow card game ever invented.

VAO Control; Crafty Freelancer; Freethinker

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
TheTSKoala
Control

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2010, 09:54:11 AM »

Guys night:

Risk Godstorm & 2210
Last Night on Earth (Possibly the second best board game I've played.)
Betrayal at the House on the Hill (Possibly the best board game I've played.)
Axis & Allies (The newest revision)
Arkham Horror (Only played it once so far.  So far, so good.)

Girls & Guys night:

Game of Things (Hilarious)
Apples to Apples (Good every so often)
Cranium (Good way to get away from a string of 'dumb funny')
Monopoly:  Tropic Island edition (....)
Loaded Questions: Adult or Normal  (Don't play the Adult version if you have in-laws present.)
Pictionary  (Staple)  (The one with the electronic guy is meh.)
foproy
Control

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2010, 11:15:47 AM »

i have played ark ham horror 3 times, one time i won outright , another time it ended to early to tell. and the third time we had more then enough rescourses to seal the last gate, plenty of time to do it in, but the third player had to go immediately so we counted it as a win, and moved on.

Jesus loves you, he died for your sins. Protoman hates you, he died for them twice. - Anonymous
Dhampire
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2010, 02:07:36 PM »

The most overrated, boring boardgame ever.
Catan:
"The most overplayed, but fun, boardgame, ever."

Munchkin has a warm place close to my heart, especially with the expansions.  The alternate-genres, I'm not terribly fond of, though.

What I'm surprised that no one has mentioned is Zombies!!!

I aim to misbehave.
EloiseCartwright
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2010, 02:59:17 PM »

my small collection, i was not sure if munchkin would count so i did not show it. mental floss was bought on a whim, but i love it. and the 2 star wars games were given to me by a former neighbor.

Can't comment on the games, but I think you've stolen my bedspread.
EloiseCartwright
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2010, 03:01:15 PM »

The most overrated, boring boardgame ever.
Catan:
"The most overplayed, but fun, boardgame, ever."

Munchkin has a warm place close to my heart, especially with the expansions.  The alternate-genres, I'm not terribly fond of, though.

What I'm surprised that no one has mentioned is Zombies!!!

I used to love Zombies!!!, and had a good few of the expansions, then someone introduced me to Last Night on Earth and I just can't work up the enthusiasm any more. I have kept it around in the hope it'll make a good intro game for my 4 year old in a few years time.
Golden Dragon
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2010, 03:18:56 PM »

I have kept it around in the hope it'll make a good intro game for my 4 year old in a few years time.

My best children's introduction for games has been tile-laying games. Gamewright has The Legend of Landlock, which is simple enough for young kids, but has enough strategy to keep the gamer in me happy. [I bought a copy at Target when they had it on clearance. Best $2 I spent on a game.]  From that, they'll love to play with the tiles from Carcassonne. For the two oldest (ages 11 & Cool, Ticket to Ride and Vegas Showdown are perennial favorites. No. 2 has been playing Ticket to Ride since he was 5.

No. 2 and I are playing a lot of Race for the Galaxy.

Both have been playing tournament Chess for two years.

Gregory the Golden Dragon
-I'm a child progeny.
-Most children are.
      Calvin & Hobbes
EloiseCartwright
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2010, 04:15:36 PM »

My daughter plays "Kids of Carcassonne", which is actually quite fun, though simple. I'm thinking of giving it another year and try her with the real Carcassonne (I tend to prefer heavily themed games, but the straightforward ideas seem to work better for children).

Let her get to about 6-7 and I'll unleash her on Zombies and Talisman I think (though Talisman needs to have it's play-time cut in 1/2 - that game can be far too long).
Crafty_Alex
Crafty Staff
Control

Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2010, 04:55:35 PM »

I'll have to toss in:

Fav game remains Citadels. What a beautiful piece of work - simplicity + depth of play in a single package.

The game I bought the wife at GenCon is Telestrations - a combination of Pictionary and the Telephone Game - and it is utterly awesome. Like Citadels, it's at its best with 8 players.

For nostalgia, I hauled my copy of Talisman 2nd edition (with 3 expansions!) but couldn't find anyone who wanted to invest the time. I do love that game - best time you'll ever have while ruining your friendships Smiley 

As for the rest of the collection...Race for the Galaxy I like, but the spouse is not so crazy about it Sad Pandemic is OK, but still hasn't blown me away. Imperium Galactica is the ultimate sci-fi heartbreaker; I wanted to like it so much. Munchkin's way too much of a grind, especially with expansions involved. Betrayal at House on the Hill remains fantastic - and I heard is finally getting a reprint!

I also wanted to ask y'alls opinion - has anyone played Chaos in the Old World? I'm keenly interested in that one...

Wolverine
Control

I want to smoke a fairy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2010, 05:38:43 PM »

I also wanted to ask y'alls opinion - has anyone played Chaos in the Old World? I'm keenly interested in that one...

I listened to a review of the game on one podcast who seemed to like it, but I don't know anyone local who has played it or even bought it (though that's more to do with the price than anything else). It does sound like you need to have four players to make it work well, too.

Carcassonne is an old favourite of mine, though I don't have any of the expansion sets (yet). My future parents-in-law have Star Wars Trivial Pursuit, but won't play it with me... so I just have to whup their asses at the normal version Wink

"Dickhead books?"
 -Patrick Kapera wrestling with the New Zealand accent
Golden Dragon
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2010, 05:43:28 PM »

Fav game remains Citadels. What a beautiful piece of work - simplicity + depth of play in a single package.

I really like this one, too. I'm just not sure that my kids are ready for it. Another one that is even further away away is Twilight Imperium.

Maybe it's that I'm not a horror fan, but Betrayal at the House on the Hill did not strike me as a great game. [For the record, I would play it again, but it's not a game I'd vote for.] I'm glad it's getting a reprint. Maybe Vegas Showdown will also get a reprint.

Gregory the Golden Dragon
-I'm a child progeny.
-Most children are.
      Calvin & Hobbes
Gentry