Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2014, 09:08:05 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Off-Topic
| | |-+  Boardgames Compendium: News, Reviews & Reactions
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Boardgames Compendium: News, Reviews & Reactions  (Read 6078 times)
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 22, 2011, 09:42:15 PM »

This

agent oni
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 01, 2012, 03:06:55 PM »

Finally got to play Race for the Galaxy.  I was really impressed with the production value and game mechanics.  The artwork is nice, I love that there are different factions, the action sequences remind me of Peurto Rico without the nasty effect it has on newbies.  The only thing I didn't like was that there was one card which so far gave the win to whomever managed to obtain it.
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: February 01, 2012, 04:41:19 PM »

Finally got to play Race for the Galaxy.  I was really impressed with the production value and game mechanics.  The artwork is nice, I love that there are different factions, the action sequences remind me of Peurto Rico without the nasty effect it has on newbies.  The only thing I didn't like was that there was one card which so far gave the win to whomever managed to obtain it.

We've played it a few times, and it is good fun (and nicely presented).  The only problem I had was that like the "I win card" there's a few combinations that basically give you the victory that we've come across.  Not many of them, but there are a couple times you see one of the other players add a certain card to his tableau and all you can really do is concede.
agent oni
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2012, 03:32:56 PM »

We've played it a few times, and it is good fun (and nicely presented).  The only problem I had was that like the "I win card" there's a few combinations that basically give you the victory that we've come across.  Not many of them, but there are a couple times you see one of the other players add a certain card to his tableau and all you can really do is concede.

We've also experienced the same thing and there is one card that I can't remember the name of that we have banned because whoever obtained that card won.
Agent 333
Control

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 27, 2012, 08:15:52 PM »

I picked up Small World last week. I've only played it 3 times so far, but it's crazy fun.
While on the topic, I'll bring up St. Petersburg, a fun game I haven't seen mentioned yet. San Juan is another fun one.

When all your problems are nails, all your tools start looking like hammers.
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 08, 2012, 04:03:46 PM »

OGRE Designer's Edition

Ends on the 11th.

So much chip board... 20 square feet of maps and counters.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 09, 2012, 10:38:45 PM »

And SJG broke $700k on the Ogre kickstarter.

Which means a new edition of Car Wars via Kickstarter. If you want to help determine what the new Car Wars looks like go buy a t-shirt (or anything over $23) on the Ogre kickstarter and you'll get access to the design forum.

Yes, I'm hoping CW gets a bigger response here... Daddy needs another counter sheet and there's only 33 hours to get $33k beat the last stretch goal. Wink That and I remember some CW fans here and thought they might want in on the design.

Sadly, people outside North America continue to get screwed by FedEx. Shipping Ogre 6e to Austrailia is more then the game itself.  Cry

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: May 10, 2012, 08:05:27 AM »

Sadly, people outside North America continue to get screwed by FedEx. Shipping Ogre 6e to Austrailia is more then the game itself.  Cry
There is a market here for moving stuff like this to Australia.  You need a network of trusty folks who are already traveling, and pay them for the extra suitcase and some extra to move it as personal effects, then someone in Australia to post it locally when they arrive.  Sort of a "one shot courier" deal.

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

Your game room, kid-friendly again

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: May 10, 2012, 09:28:59 AM »

There is a market here for moving stuff like this to Australia.  You need a network of trusty folks who are already traveling, and pay them for the extra suitcase and some extra to move it as personal effects, then someone in Australia to post it locally when they arrive.  Sort of a "one shot courier" deal.

We've actually been in the market for a "freight forwarder" deal with a local in that neck of the woods for some time. Sadly, no prospects as of yet, but we keep looking. Smiley

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games

In game terms, reality is broken.
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: May 10, 2012, 10:15:22 AM »

We've actually been in the market for a "freight forwarder" deal with a local in that neck of the woods for some time. Sadly, no prospects as of yet, but we keep looking. Smiley
You'll need a local in Australia and the US, and a way to connect with people taking the trip, as well as be able to assure these folks you are not moving contraband or explosives.  Plus you run into weight restrictions pretty fast.

Maybe a cargo deal with one of the passenger airlines to move it as freight?

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
ahzad
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 10, 2012, 03:26:56 PM »

i used to do a ton of ebay selling and when I did my first major purge of my D&D stuff I found that shipping stuff thru the USPS via M-Bags was extremely cheap and affordable for overseas shipping. I think there was a weight limit of each bag at 66 pounds, no min weight but you would be charged at min the 11 pound weight. they could only contain printed matter, books and the the like.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - A. Einstein
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

Your game room, kid-friendly again

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: May 14, 2012, 05:07:20 PM »

We can handle bulk shipping to a single location over there. What we need is a reliable turnaround point - one or more folks who take the bulk shipment and fulfill orders. So far, no good, unfortunately. Sad

i used to do a ton of ebay selling and when I did my first major purge of my D&D stuff I found that shipping stuff thru the USPS via M-Bags was extremely cheap and affordable for overseas shipping. I think there was a weight limit of each bag at 66 pounds, no min weight but you would be charged at min the 11 pound weight. they could only contain printed matter, books and the the like.

We looked into M Bags at one point. Can't recall now why they wouldn't work but there was a reason. Might have been the dimensions...

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games

In game terms, reality is broken.
Gentry