Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 31, 2014, 01:07:30 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Off-Topic
| | |-+  Boardgames Compendium: News, Reviews & Reactions
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Boardgames Compendium: News, Reviews & Reactions  (Read 6778 times)
ThunderMonkey
Control

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2011, 03:23:02 PM »

Fantasy Flight Games will release a second edition to their Game of Thrones board game.

The first edition is probably my favorite board game I've only played twice. It looks good, but I could never get anyone to play. (And for the record, I've read the first book and 100 pages of the second. I've never seen the HBO mini-series. It is just a cool game.)

Christmas!

Work done by an officer's doppleganger in a parallel universe cannot be claimed as overtime.
Golden Dragon
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2011, 08:05:08 PM »

I played the three Heroica Castle Fortaan scenarios again tonight, with kids 2 & 3 (ages 9yo and 6yo). I actually made a tactical decision that affected the outcome of the game. The choice was followed by a very good die roll that allowed me to claim the helm of protection.

In all three scenarios I made a direct run for the end, and won all three. In two of the three, I killed the most monsters. That is pure serendipity, because I can recall a prior game where it took me four tries to kill one monster.

Gregory the Golden Dragon
-I'm a child progeny.
-Most children are.
      Calvin & Hobbes
Golden Dragon
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2011, 01:29:17 PM »

Fantasy Flight Games has snagged a Star Wars license. They will do a minis game (fighter level) and a Living Card Game.

Gregory the Golden Dragon
-I'm a child progeny.
-Most children are.
      Calvin & Hobbes
Wolverine
Control

I want to smoke a fairy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2011, 09:26:30 PM »

I got to play the proto version of X-Wing at GenCon. It was fun and reminded me a lot of Wings of War, but was a little too random for my liking. The X-Wings and TIE Fighters were supposed to be matched fairly evenly, but within a couple of rounds there was only one X-Wing left despite some fairly even shooting on both sides. Still, there's plenty of time for FFG to iron out the kinks and make it work better.

I also demoed the Blood Bowl: Team Manager game (which sold out in under six hours). It was pretty simple, but still a lot of fun. There are six teams in the base box, and it's a fair bet that if it sells well they'll bring out more. One word of warning, though: Trolls are nasty. We had one take out/injure six other players in one go.

"Dickhead books?"
 -Patrick Kapera wrestling with the New Zealand accent
Nepenthe
Control

High Priest of the Cult of Crafty

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2011, 02:33:12 AM »

Fantasy Flight Games has snagged a Star Wars license. They will do a minis game (fighter level) and a Living Card Game.
If you read it carefully, they have "the worldwide rights to publish card, roleplaying, and miniatures games set in the popular Star Wars™ universe!". So an RPG is most probably on the way.

FFG has been very good about bringing along top people from past iterations to work on their games (managing to pull Andy Chambers to work on Deathwatch etc.), so this is probably a really good thing for the SWRPG fans.

Reapercussions
Gentry
Powered By Publisher
Control

It's a Trap!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2011, 08:18:33 PM »

Nuns on the Run is tremendous fun. That is all.

I'm a secret VAO Control (Shh!)

Check out Wyrmstone for FC Open Source campaigning

Have you joined Knife Rights yet?

Live and game in Flyover Country? Join Tornado Alley Game Guil
Aldus Vertten
Handler

Los Otros Planes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2011, 08:13:54 PM »

I've played a couple of games of Rune Age and so far i've liked it a lot. it uses the deck building system like Dominion, but with battles, sieges and diferent types of games depending on the Objective used.

In the basic set you have one with a common objective (Slay the dragon), where you can have fights between the players, but you must be careful with the enemies inside the game. There's another objetive based in open war between players, another one where they have to help each other in order to survive and a fourth one based in developing your resources, and with very little interaction between players.

So far, i've liked it a lot. i've to try a couple of solo games to see how it goes

"No queda sino batirnos"
-------------
-El Capitan Alatriste
spinningdice
Control

The power of the Dice compels you!

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2011, 06:54:52 AM »

Not really a boardgame but I picked up Death Angel a month or so back (Space Hulk Card Game), and it's tremendous fun.
Not a massive amount of variety in the game setup, but in my mind when most of the games could go either way in at least 80% of games, it's a good one (though I do think I'm hiding it out of the way until Christmas now, keep it from getting too repetitive!)
glimmerrat
Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2011, 07:27:53 AM »

So an RPG is most probably on the way.

Doubtless that will also be badly proof-read and not significantly playtested.

VAO Control; Crafty Freelancer; Freethinker

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
Nepenthe
Control

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2011, 05:43:33 AM »

So an RPG is most probably on the way.

Doubtless that will also be badly proof-read and not significantly playtested.
Probably. Happily nobody will be taking my Saga edition away. Wink

Reapercussions
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2011, 10:18:10 AM »

Bah.

D6 is the one true Star Wars system, and is pretty much the reason there's an expanded universe at all.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
agent oni
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2011, 04:08:53 PM »

Got to try out the Drizzt D&D boardgame and enjoyed it.  I've read tht the game was too easy but it definitely wasn't easy for my group.  Two characters died just in the intro (the drow wizard is nasty!) despite us cheating (OK, more like misreading the rules...).  The second game went much smoother.  We played the scenario with the dragon (the size of the dragon made it look whimpy) and we barely came out winning that game.  The funny part was that we were running away from the troll, right into the dragon....and managed to survive, barely.
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

End of the World? Don’t believe the hype.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2011, 05:09:08 PM »

Had the chance to play both of my bud's latest, Team Manager and Quarriors, Sunday night. LOVE the former - seriously, it's a truly amazing game. The latter is also good, but a bit less to my taste. I had fun with it though! Smiley

Also, Star Wars Saga FTW! \m/

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games
YouTube: www.youtube.com/craftyhomeoffice

In game terms, reality is b
Nepenthe
Control

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2011, 05:30:32 PM »

Also, Star Wars Saga FTW! \m/
Aye, the 2nd best d20 system. Smiley

Reapercussions
spinningdice
Control

The power of the Dice compels you!

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2011, 06:07:44 PM »

Star Wars saga gave me such hope for 4th edition D&D as it was rather good (though had it's flaws) then 4th ed came out and I couldn't work out what happened.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: