Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 18, 2014, 02:28:04 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Off-Topic
| | |-+  Boardgames Compendium: News, Reviews & Reactions
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Boardgames Compendium: News, Reviews & Reactions  (Read 6950 times)
Number Three
Handler

I have become Deathbus, destoyer of threads.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2010, 10:06:48 PM »

The most overrated, boring boardgame ever.

Shocked Even sucking at it as much as I do, I still have a blast whenever I play that.

No matter the popular opinion, there is always one dissenter in the room.
(I love Catan, myself.  The game I can't stand is Cosmic Encounter.)

agent oni
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2010, 01:48:14 PM »

I'm a huge Catan fanboy.  I have all the expansions + a historical Catan + the space version (my 2nd favorite Catan) + the card game (and the expansions for it) + the imported Catan book (fan made scenarios and a history of Catan).

I would have gotten 3D Catan...if it wasn't so outrageously expansive (was around $300).

Other than the Catan series, these others have made an impression:

Last Night on Earth:  The best thing about this game are the characters.  They are stereotypical characters that you would find in many of the campy zombie movies such as the cheerleader, the jock, the sheriff, etc.  These characters have personality which is lacking in many of the zombie games in existence.  The scenarios are also awesome such as trying to find a can full of gasoline and making your way to a truck before the zombies take you down.  Finally, I like that it has a dual adversary as well as a cooperative element to the game (the zombie master vs the players and the players really need to cooperate if they want to survive).  Someone on Boardgamegeek even made a Buffy the Vampire Hunter variant.

Jambo:  A card game with a simple premise of you and your opponent being an African merchant owning a stand in the beginning.  You must buy and sell wares and the first player to accumulate 60 gold is the winner.  You use utility and people cards to help you achieve that while using animal cards to hinder your opponent.  One of the best 2 player non collectible card game I own.

Pillars of the Earth:  .  My first and only worker placement game.  The board itself looks like a painting.  I like the multiple paths to victory, the way player turn order is determined, and how each game is different depending on number of players and the semi random way the cards show up during play.

Colisseum:  You try to put on the best performance and theatre you can for the Roman masses.  It has elements of bidding (you bid the marterials necessary to build the performances), elements of building (like expanding your colisseum, putting on a bigger performance), and resource management (need money to bid and buy stuff).  I only got to play this once and it made an impression because I was ahead a good portion of the game yet the guy placing last throughout the game pulled off an amazing victory.
Nepenthe
Control

High Priest of the Cult of Crafty

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2010, 02:58:05 PM »

Anybody try Castle Ravenloft yet? I don't get to play much board games (don't have a table big enough, classic Helsinki living right here), but from what I've read this will be at the top of my list when I get one! Smiley

Reapercussions
Desertpuma
Control

Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2010, 03:00:43 PM »

I've only heard the name but have yet to actually see the boardgame. Now, the two original mods, I not only have but they are signed by Tracy Hickman (as his father was one of my teachers in college).

Living Spycraft Masterm
Wolverine
Control

I want to smoke a fairy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2010, 03:07:41 PM »

I watched the 'what's in the box' video on YouTube and it certainly looks good. Like Nepenthe, I don't quite have the table space for the game, but I know there are people locally who are interested in playing it.

"Dickhead books?"
 -Patrick Kapera wrestling with the New Zealand accent
EloiseCartwright
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2010, 03:53:48 PM »

Does look good, now if only I had some money...
Gentry
Powered By Publisher
Control

It's a Trap!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2010, 06:26:18 AM »

By contrast, I think it looks like a Descent knockoff. And the cover art made me cringe. Where's buff Strahd from the modules, and where did this quasi-anime abomination come from? Curse you, Wizards!

I'm a secret VAO Control (Shh!)

Check out Wyrmstone for FC Open Source campaigning

Have you joined Knife Rights yet?

Live and game in Flyover Country? Join Tornado Alley Game Guil
EloiseCartwright
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2010, 06:09:34 PM »

Oh I agree, it doesn't look very Ravenloft, but a simple but effective Dungeon Crawl that doesn't take 3 hours looks good in my book.
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2010, 08:02:43 PM »

By contrast, I think it looks like a Descent knockoff. And the cover art made me cringe. Where's buff Strahd from the modules, and where did this quasi-anime abomination come from? Curse you, Wizards!

I was thinking Hero Quest clone myself.

Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2011, 01:25:54 PM »

A bit of necromancy here, but oh well.

On a lark i picked up LEGO's Harry Potter game on the way to see my Mom in the hospital last night. The one where you move the classrooms and staircases around.

Took about an hour to put the thing together, but we had a hoot. It's not a complex game, but its a good way to blow a half hour and can be surprisingly sophisticated for a game intended for eight and up. Oh, and the box is big enough for the assembled board to be stored so setting up doesn't take as long after the first time.

I'm probably going to see what Boardgame Geek has to say about the rest of them over the weekend and se if their worth picking up for boardgame night at the club.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Golden Dragon
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2011, 02:00:58 PM »

I haven't played, but I did buy the Harry Potter game for the kids, and it looks like it does have the potential to please the serious gamer. Glad to hear that it succeeds.

LEGO is advertising a new series of boardgames, due out later this year, under the name Heroica. The pawns had a fantasy theme. That's most of what I know from the 1-page ad, but I wonder if they will have some other tie-ins.

Just went for a look for a link, and it looks like they are out. Here's one: Waldurk Forest.

Gregory the Golden Dragon
-I'm a child progeny.
-Most children are.
      Calvin & Hobbes
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2011, 04:37:16 PM »

Those look pretty decent, and so does Atlantis Treasure.

Time to hit the toy stores.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Golden Dragon
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2011, 03:46:00 PM »

I've recently purchased the Heroica Castle Fortaan (I want to call it castle Fortran). We've played several times. It doesn't seem to have enough gamer depth for my liking. Combat is a crap shoot, and it seems like whoever is in the movement lead gets all the good stuff.

The game does come with layouts for three scenarios, and we've played all three in a chain. Today, with four players, a different player won each scenario.

I finally got to play the Harry Potter Hogwarts game today, and it is indeed very cool. My kids have no idea how much strategic depth comes from sliding pieces around, and would often decline to slide pieces around. I was the last to collect my fourth homework and still won. Still has a high random element, but wins for more elegance.

EDIT: You can see the rules and map set-ups in this flicker account.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 03:52:27 PM by Golden Dragon » Logged

-I'm a child progeny.
-Most children are.
      Calvin & Hobbes
Number Three
Handler

I have become Deathbus, destoyer of threads.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2011, 09:56:44 AM »

Survive: Escape From Atlantis is fun, relatively quick boardgame with a strong competitive element, but just make sure you pick up some white dry-transfer numbers to renumber the blue pieces.  Two of my friends were about to fight over the what the black-on-dark-blue text said.

Golden Dragon
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2011, 01:22:15 PM »

Fantasy Flight Games will release a second edition to their Game of Thrones board game.

The first edition is probably my favorite board game I've only played twice. It looks good, but I could never get anyone to play. (And for the record, I've read the first book and 100 pages of the second. I've never seen the HBO mini-series. It is just a cool game.)

-I'm a child progeny.
-Most children are.
      Calvin & Hobbes
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: