Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 01, 2014, 07:44:44 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Off-Topic
| | |-+  I'm looking for a new Android game
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I'm looking for a new Android game  (Read 888 times)
ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« on: November 02, 2012, 09:53:00 PM »

I recently broke down and got a smart phone.  I've been playing "Plants versus Zombies" and have beaten the stew out of it multiple times.  Now, I'm hunting for a new app that will provide some entertainment.  My problem is that there are so many that I don't even know where to start.  I figured you guys would have some suggestions.

My phone's an Android.

Gentry
Powered By Publisher
Control

It's a Trap!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 10:12:07 AM »

My 12-year old loves Temple Run, which looks simple but addictive.

I'm a secret VAO Control (Shh!)

Check out Wyrmstone for FC Open Source campaigning

Have you joined Knife Rights yet?

Live and game in Flyover Country? Join Tornado Alley Game Guil
ahzad
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 08:50:40 PM »

Elder Sign by Fantasy Flight Games. Awesome Cthulhu Mythos action.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm=168&esem=2&esum=197

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - A. Einstein
Aldus Vertten
Handler

Los Otros Planes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 05:51:58 AM »

I agree with The Elder Sign. Really good game and perfect adaptation of the boardgame version... I also got Ingenious... I've loved the boardgame for years and the android version is quiet good...

"No queda sino batirnos"
-------------
-El Capitan Alatriste
foproy
Control

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 12:13:32 PM »

final fantasy 3 for android is nice though it is a bit pricey.

Jesus loves you, he died for your sins. Protoman hates you, he died for them twice. - Anonymous
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 03:51:33 PM »

Broken Sword is an excellect old school adventure game.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Number Three
Handler

I have become Deathbus, destoyer of threads.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 12:04:53 PM »

Anything good in the multi-player pass-around-the-tablet.  I picked up Carcassonne, which my friends and I already know how to play, so I'm looking to add some variety.

Although let me add my "yes" vote to Elder Sign.  Bought it an hour before Sandy took my power last Monday, and (oddly) kept me company through the first night.

ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 05:23:18 PM »

I may have to pick both of those up.  They sound great.

Sadly 'Sword and Sworcery' seems to be iPhone only.

ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 02:44:12 AM »

Picked up Edler Signs.

Here are my first thoughts:
Hmmm, graphics have an animated feel to them.  But more in a "We'll stay far enough away from the uncanny valley to let the character shine through," rather than, "The graphics look cartoonish."  Definitely not anime, but animated.

Music is nearly perfect.  A compliment that can ratchet up the tension without being intrusive.  Also, has the ability to be listened to.

Animation of the game effects seems lacking.

Why do I get the feeling I'm playing a board game that has been translated to a smartphone app?

Where is the text descriptions that I feel like should be here.  Shadowgate had text way back in the day.  Where's the text?

Why the hell do I feel like the die roller is screwing me?

Damn!  Everyone dead due to loss of Sanity.

Not sure this is my kind of game.  Seems too random, too picky.

=====

Well, those were my first thoughts.  I was playing the game after midnight, alone, with the lights off and a good pair of headphones.  After I woke up today, I gave it another try and ... WOW ... does reading the instruction "manual" change things.

I was pleasantly surprised to learn that this IS based on a board game.  Also, there is text to read, I just missed where it was hiding the first go round.

Still feel like it has a little too random element to it but it's doable.  Would like to see the four adventurers move as a pack rather than one at a time.

Second play through ended in one fatality and three insanities.  The Ancient One had 7 out of 8 Doom tokens in play and I only had 7 of 10 Elder Signs in play.  Ah well.

Casual enough to play for a few minutes but, deep enough when you want to immerse yourself in The Mythos for a moment.  Also, can save a game in progress.  All in all, it was a good buy.

Aldus Vertten
Handler

Los Otros Planes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 12:19:44 PM »

Why do I get the feeling I'm playing a board game that has been translated to a smartphone app?

Because its precisely that  Grin In fact, now you can play the boardgame without much trouble, just a couple of things differ from one another.

the first time i played it i felt more or less the same, but once you get the grip of the rules and how items and spells work in your favor its get easier... but fun nonetheless. I would like to get some of the supplements (extensions= addons?) to get back to it...

"No queda sino batirnos"
-------------
-El Capitan Alatriste
ahzad
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 05:38:17 PM »

Elder Sign was played the other day on Wil Wheaton's Tabletop Youtube show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh4nSpV2n4k&feature=relmfu

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - A. Einstein
Foghorn
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2012, 04:04:20 PM »

Sadly 'Sword and Sworcery' seems to be iPhone only.

Unless you pick up the latest Humble Bundle for Android and get the Sword and Sworcery beta along with a bunch of other fun ones for whatever price you set. Also, the games in the bundle can be played on Windows, Mac, or Linux. Seriously, these things are great. Available until the 22nd, I think
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: