Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 24, 2014, 08:53:13 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Spycraft Third Edition
| | |-+  Spycraft 3.0 Gencon thoughts (long)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Spycraft 3.0 Gencon thoughts (long)  (Read 1819 times)
The_Maestro
Crafty n00b

View Profile
« on: August 09, 2010, 02:01:53 PM »

First, I just want to say to thanks to all the Crafty guys for great gencon events, and for actually asking me and my friends DETAILED opinions on our 3.0 experience, we had a blast as always and can't wait for 3.0.

We played two 3.0 events while at gencon. Off the reservation and I can't remember the other one but it had the auction event in it. Either way, we were very pleased with what we saw, and the other players from our gaming group that played spycraft for the first time were blown away. So props!

In the two events I played the Commando and the Troubleshooter. I really liked how both characters. The commando felt like a much more well rounded character than the previous editions solider. It had great stealth/breaking in ability as well as the ability to kick arse in combat as would be expected. I never liked in the past playing a fully entrenched combat char in spycraft and the commando was no where near a one trick pony.

The troubleshooter was also very well designed. It's a class that has full access to a lot of skills and an insane amount of action die that can be used for all kinds of things. The only thing I'd have changed (and this is if i was building it personally) I would have maxed out a few skills instead of just spending all points evenly, but that's a personal preference.

The Tactician was great and at least in our game was not a "sit in the van" type and was very involved in the action. Same with the hacker char and faceman who was great in the social interactions.

As an overall opinion of what we saw was the characters were well-balanced and all had the ability to get into the action and not sit on the sidelines waiting for their 2 minutes of dice rolling.

So great work again guys, and thanks again for asking for our opinions when we stopped by your booth, keep it up.

"Protect and Serve"
        -Officer Jose
Grimace
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 12:50:35 PM »

Instead of posting another thread on the exact same topic, I'll add my thoughts here.

First off, another excellent Con showing from the Crafty team.  Kudos

Mission Comments
Off The Reservation” - Overall this was a well rounded mission.  Characters of all types can contribute to the mission without putting the mission in jeopardy.    The initial investigation at headquarters was a little long, but that might have just been my group.  I played James the Troubleshooter and was able to contribute to the mission on a number of occasions.

Lot 9” – This is a well thought out and created mission.  My only concern is that security is so high in the resort and the emphasis is placed on being discrete that players may feel pressured to do nothing, especially combat character types.   I played the commando character during this mission and even though he was really good at stealth and killing, the overwhelming amount of security in all areas made me opt to not risk the mission.  Now I guess we could have just done a John Wayne/Rambo frontal assault, but that would have gone against the mission parameters.

Character Comments
James (Troubleshooter) – A very well rounded character.  He is very capable in combat and non-combat situations. 

Name Unknown (Commando) -  Very focused on stealth and killing.  He has just a little bit of electronics skill, could have used more security skills.  Also a few useful gadgets would have been very helpful for him to bypass some of the security in the Resort.  Not having any social skills really limits a character like this.

Rules Comments
To tell you the truth there didn’t seem to be many elements from 3.0 or they were so transparent that I didn’t notice them.  The reduced vitality didn’t come into play in either of the missions because combat was near non-existent.   The exposure dice only came into play a little bit during “Off The Reservation”, but didn’t really affect play (didn't appear to affect anything). 

Grimace
Nezeray
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 11:00:27 AM »

In the game of Lot 9 That I ran, my players ADDED to the security that I had in mind yet still pulled it off.  Sure one of the bidders shot himself in the leg and then dove off the balcony, maybe he was a little stressed.  Smiley

James / Nezeray
Grimace
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 11:15:17 AM »

In the game of Lot 9 That I ran, my players ADDED to the security that I had in mind yet still pulled it off.  Sure one of the bidders shot himself in the leg and then dove off the balcony, maybe he was a little stressed.  Smiley

James / Nezeray

I heard about that session.  Cheesy  Sounded like things got interesting after that.  Cheesy

Grimace
adrick
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 04:50:31 PM »

Sounds awesome, soooo, since here was preview games at the Con, any previews coming soon to the forum or site. hmm hmm pleeeeeaaase Smiley

Can't wait, i am happy to hear its looking awesome.
Crafty_Alex
Crafty Staff
Control

Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 05:00:36 PM »

No previews for a while yet. Sorry, but things need to be much closer to the absolute final form and at least within a window where the inevitable "when can I get it?!?!" questions can be answered with a fair amount of certainty before we start teasing.  Cheesy

mathey
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2010, 07:34:15 AM »

Sounds great, guys! Really looking forward to seeing more!
snake
Handler

Its all in the reflexes !!!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 03:24:17 PM »

Sounds great, guys! Really looking forward to seeing more!

Ditto. Very much. The Commando sounds spot on for an ex-Royal Marine agent PC in my Espionage game and a Special Forces PC in my PA game.  Excellent stuff Smiley

Lo, there do I see my father. Lo, there do I see my mother.
And my sister and my brother
Lo, there do I see the line of my people Back to the beginning.
Lo, they do call to me.They bid me take my place among them
In the halls of Valhalla Where the brave may live forever !!!
UURich
Crafty n00b

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2010, 10:05:24 AM »

I'm new to the forums here and ultimately to d20 systems all together.  There is a community of 40-50 people considering a run at a SpyCraft 3.0 campaign for next summer so I am beginning to look at 2.0 rules before diving into 3.0 when they arrive.  I look forward to hearing more as 3.0 manifests itself from the creative minds at Crafty and reading the posts here at the forums.  Grin
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2010, 10:14:13 AM »

In the demo how were various technological things handled, skill wise?  I'm mainly asking about computers, mechanics, and electronics.
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

End of the World? Don’t believe the hype.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2010, 06:53:40 PM »

No previews for a while yet. Sorry, but things need to be much closer to the absolute final form and at least within a window where the inevitable "when can I get it?!?!" questions can be answered with a fair amount of certainty before we start teasing.  Cheesy

If you can't wait to see the unfinished previews though, you might want to hit RinCon in October or NeonCon in November. Crafty Games will be at both shows, sellin' books and runnin' events, including Spycraft Third Edition playtest previews. Watch the site's front page and/or feeds for more details as we hammer them down.

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games
YouTube: www.youtube.com/craftyhomeoffice

In game terms, reality is b
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

End of the World? Don’t believe the hype.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2010, 06:55:13 PM »

In the demo how were various technological things handled, skill wise?  I'm mainly asking about computers, mechanics, and electronics.

The Spycraft Third Edition skill system has not yet been finalized. The playtest previews use the Fantasy Craft skill system with a few convenient tweaks, most of which you've listed.

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games
YouTube: www.youtube.com/craftyhomeoffice

In game terms, reality is b
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »