Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2014, 06:06:01 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Spycraft Third Edition
| | |-+  d20 Done Right
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: d20 Done Right  (Read 945 times)
Wizard
« on: July 26, 2010, 07:14:25 AM »

As my first post to the forum I thought I would explain how I ended up here on the Crafty Games forum.

Over the past 25 years I have played and read many a RPG system. I was driven away from D&D for various reasons through-out that time and tried to come back every time there was a new version. When D&D 4e came out I tried it out but quickly decided it just amplified all the things I didnít like previously. To me a RPG system needs to let me tell the Ďstoryí and for that its mechanics need to somewhat approach reality so that they help in the suspension of belief and thus envelop the players in that story.

My preferred campaign genre has now become urban fantasy and I have been trying out various systems with that in mind. I had settled with GURPS for a few years but found out that I ended up with more of a simulation than the role-playing game I was after. After a while it had become more of a chore than a game. A sure indicator that it was time for a new system. I bounced around a bit looking at various systems and put in a fair bit of time into a few such as Shadowrun, The Dresden Files and the HERO System. None of them did it for me. The HERO System came close but I just didnít want to spend the time and effort required to get it to the stage I require. I need a RPG with a direct focus on modern role-playing with the ability to bring in magic.

I was browsing through my PDF collection and spotted Spycraft. I actually picked up the Spycraft 2.0 PDF a few years back, but, I canít remember why, I never had a chance to read it. Am I kicking myself now.

To me, Spycraft does d20 right. The wounds/vitality system fixes one of my pet hates of the high HP D&D. The attention to detail is just right. The writing style is clear and to the point. Simply brilliant. Yeah, I am excited that I have finally found the game that hits the sweet point for me.

I have just picked up the Fantasy Craft PDF and have started reading it. I am also impressed that Crafty Games went back to revise and errata the original printing of Fantasy Craft and re-released it. This just screams to me that the game developers care about the game. Keep up the great work!

I plan to use Spycraft and Fantasy Craft together to provide the rules I will need for my urban fantasy setting. For now I will run a couple Fantasy Craft games to get back into the whole d20 thing and that should pass the time while I wait for Spycraft 3.0 to come out.

A big thanks Grin to Crafty Games in bringing back the excitement of role-playing back to me.
Golden Dragon
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 07:27:37 AM »

Welcome to the fold.

Gregory the Golden Dragon
-I'm a child progeny.
-Most children are.
      Calvin & Hobbes
Desertpuma
Control

Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 08:04:13 AM »

Welcome to the forums!

Crusader Citadel

Living Spycraft Mastermind Council Member

Crafty For Life!
aegis
Fantasy Craft Playtester
Control

A little dab'll do ya.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 08:20:24 AM »

That's a hell of a first post. Welcome!  Tongue
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

Your game room, kid-friendly again

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 12:07:08 AM »

I'm honored to have helped in your return, and I think I can speak for all my cohorts behind the scenes when I say that your story and stories like yours are very high on the list of why we keep doing this.

Thank you for your post, and welcome to the boards! We hope we can keep living up to the promise. Smiley

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games

In game terms, reality is broken.
rgpandrade
Recruit

View Profile