Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 01, 2014, 02:46:18 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  Converting the Species Feats from Origin of Species
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Converting the Species Feats from Origin of Species  (Read 1610 times)
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2010, 12:50:45 PM »

I miss Iconic classes Cry. Those feats always look gelded to me without that branch of the system.

I loved the idea of iconic classes - the penalty itself was just far too harsh in my opinion.  In fact I always thought it should have been a bonus [which would be hard to work in] rather then a penalty.
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2010, 01:27:09 PM »

I still think if it had presented with the level table giving one less die and then iconics and humans getting a bonus die no one would have whined.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2010, 01:34:41 PM »

I loved the idea of iconic classes - the penalty itself was just far too harsh in my opinion.  In fact I always thought it should have been a bonus [which would be hard to work in] rather then a penalty.

Upon later consideration I concluded that losing 1 die would have been sufficient to be a legitimate -1 drawback.

It creates a choice where you either~

Suffer -1 starting action dice (totaly solid as a -1 penalty)

Or

Effectively gain 1 design point for playing heavily to one of 2 classes.

Oh well. You never stop learning.

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2010, 01:38:16 PM »

I still think if it had presented with the level table giving one less die and then iconics and humans getting a bonus die no one would have whined.

Actually I think heads would have exploded at least as much, maybe more ("Why do all humans get a 4 point bonus?"). It would also have created a weird missmatch trying to use that same table for things like SC3/10kB where there are only humans.

Crafty_Alex
Crafty Staff
Control

Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2010, 02:18:14 PM »

I miss Iconic classes Cry. Those feats always look gelded to me without that branch of the system.

They're cool....some just required a serious re-envisioning of how they work without Iconics to fall back on.

Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2010, 02:21:43 PM »

They're cool....some just required a serious re-envisioning of how they work without Iconics to fall back on.

I look forward to seeing them Smiley.

Its fair to say that the original sets (back in Origin of the Species) were entirely driven by Iconic Class - ensuring that each logical class not on the 'list of 2' had a path to reach it.

Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2010, 04:31:07 PM »

It's worth noting official versions of many of these will be appearing in the Adventure Companion.  Plus new stuff, of course. Grin

That's been my working assumption. As I mentioned, it's going to be interesting to see hpw the fan conversions stack up against the real thing, so I sort of need to get my fan conversion done before the real thing hits.

MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2010, 06:48:23 PM »

Its fair to say that the original sets (back in Origin of the Species) were entirely driven by Iconic Class - ensuring that each logical class not on the 'list of 2' had a path to reach it.
I was very happy with that, I considered the one feat price for leaving the iconic class to be quite fair.

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: