Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 23, 2014, 08:36:09 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Fantasy Craft
| | |-+  Druid Specialty + Path of Beasts I = ?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Druid Specialty + Path of Beasts I = ?  (Read 1127 times)
MatrexsVigil
Recruit

View Profile
« on: January 12, 2011, 02:42:58 PM »

So, I have a rootwalker character that has taken the druid specialty (which gives the Animal Partner feat) and wants to start taking the Path of Beasts as a priest.  Step I of the Path of Beasts also gives the Animal Partner feat.  Does this means he has two Animal Partners?  Can he also spend one of his level gained feats for a third Animal Partner feat?  Basically, I am wondering if these feats stack by RAW or how it would actually work.

Thanks!

Earth, Wood, Water, Ice, Air, Lightning, Fire, Metal
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 02:47:37 PM »

He gets Animal Partner from the specialty, and another Terrain Feat from his Path.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
MatrexsVigil
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 02:53:49 PM »

He gets Animal Partner from the specialty, and another Terrain Feat from his Path.

Hmm.  Yeah, you're right.  I would have known that had I read the beginning of the Feats chapter.  xD

Is there any problem with letting a character have multiple Animal Partner or Personal Lieutenant feats?  Lancers can eventually get another Animal Partner on top of their Core Ability gained one. 

pawsplay
Powered By Publisher
Control

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 03:05:00 PM »

Hmm.  Yeah, you're right.  I would have known that had I read the beginning of the Feats chapter.  xD

Is there any problem with letting a character have multiple Animal Partner or Personal Lieutenant feats?  Lancers can eventually get another Animal Partner on top of their Core Ability gained one. 

The main problem is that getting a second partner is part of the benefit of the Lancer, Beastmaster, etc. The rationale is that cluttering up the table with friendly NPCs isn't all that interesting; since Personal Lts. and Animal Partners are special characters, it is in the interest of fast play to limit them.
MatrexsVigil
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 03:17:22 PM »

The main problem is that getting a second partner is part of the benefit of the Lancer, Beastmaster, etc. The rationale is that cluttering up the table with friendly NPCs isn't all that interesting; since Personal Lts. and Animal Partners are special characters, it is in the interest of fast play to limit them.

Well, I'll work with the player and see exactly what they want.  Clutter at the table is something I want to avoid.  =)

EloiseCartwright
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 03:29:52 PM »

By the rules feats never stack unless explicitly stated. That said I don't think an additional Animal Companion will break the game on any level. Though if you remove the restriction entirely it could start irritating the other players when 1 player has 6 different initiative counts.
Jake
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 04:33:30 PM »

Well, I'll work with the player and see exactly what they want.  Clutter at the table is something I want to avoid.  =)

Sticking with the path will the player Summon Nature's Ally I and IV, which are good stuff. You could allow the player to build an NPC or 2 to summon with the spells, just check them to make sure still basic animals and not dragons in disguise.

Founding member of the 10kBLF (Ten Thousand Bullets Liberation Front).
Wolverine
Control

I want to smoke a fairy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 04:49:19 PM »

Is there any problem with letting a character have multiple Animal Partner or Personal Lieutenant feats?

If you want to get multiple NPC's easily, pick up the Followers feat (which is pretty thematic for a Priest). That way you could get a few Pech who can sit in your Rootwalker's branches and fling stones at enemies.

"Dickhead books?"
 -Patrick Kapera wrestling with the New Zealand accent
MatrexsVigil
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 04:54:35 PM »

Is there any problem with letting a character have multiple Animal Partner or Personal Lieutenant feats?

If you want to get multiple NPC's easily, pick up the Followers feat (which is pretty thematic for a Priest). That way you could get a few Pech who can sit in your Rootwalker's branches and fling stones at enemies.

We're using my Large is now Medium hack for the large races, but I see what you mean.  The player wanted a legion of squirrels...

Jake
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 05:19:28 PM »

We're using my Large is now Medium hack for the large races, but I see what you mean.  The player wanted a legion of squirrels...

(click to show/hide)

Also, Nature's Ally IV will get you 8 extra squirrels with 40 Xp each. That's a grapple I don't want to be involved in.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 05:22:14 PM by Jake » Logged

Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2011, 08:44:08 PM »

Also, Nature's Ally IV will get you 8 extra squirrels with 40 Xp each. That's a grapple I don't want to be involved in.

No kidding.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Jake
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2011, 09:33:03 PM »

You win this time, Krensky. But I'll be back.

Man, easily 20 squirrels worth 40 xp each by level 9..... That's just wicked.

Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2011, 09:35:59 PM »

Don't forget to give them swarm.

aegis
Fantasy Craft Playtester
Control

A little dab'll do ya.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2011, 01:51:51 AM »

The player wanted a legion of squirrels...
Maybe instead of one special NPC you can let him have a group of standard NPCs? That way, he can have his legion, but they will also be a little bit weaker (and easier to kill).

Edit: and yes, swarm!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: