Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 30, 2014, 10:27:40 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Fantasy Craft
| | |-+  The Cardboard Mook Problem (or am I doing it wrong?)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Cardboard Mook Problem (or am I doing it wrong?)  (Read 2434 times)
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2010, 11:41:52 AM »

Sounds like changing to a "political" game would really throw them for a loop.
If I want politics, I'll go into politics.   Tongue

I prefer handing out righteous beat downs, as I am not allowed to do that in reality.

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
Desertpuma
Control

Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2010, 12:11:35 PM »

Sounds like changing to a "political" game would really throw them for a loop.
If I want politics, I'll go into politics.   Tongue

I prefer handing out righteous beat downs, as I am not allowed to do that in reality.

All I'm saying is the infrequent change of pace game can make players look at their characters a bit differently.

Crusader Citadel

Living Spycraft Mastermind Council Member

Crafty For Life!
SilvercatMoonpaw
Control

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2010, 12:31:46 PM »

Also righteous smackdowns are a lot of fun to give if you're not supposed to. Grin
Grimace
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2011, 05:04:31 PM »

The first few times I ran our party through combat I had a similar issue.

What fixed this was me reading up on all the abilities of the NPC's and putting them on paper.  After that the NPC's got more interesting and challenging. 

Grimace
Psion
Control

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2011, 06:58:41 PM »

The first few times I ran our party through combat I had a similar issue.

What fixed this was me reading up on all the abilities of the NPC's and putting them on paper.  After that the NPC's got more interesting and challenging. 

I will say "forgetting about an NPC's ability in the heat of the moment" has been my number one barrier to tense and exciting fights.

Another recent revelation to me was the way critical hits and injuries work. I've been afraid of assigning NPCs high-damage attacks, in the event that a crit comes up, I don't feel afraid to activate it. But then, reading the crit hit/injury rules, it sort of occurred to me that it's designed with this in mind. Anything that would take down a medium or larger target in one shot can automatically fall into the category of hits that can be used as injuries.

The Secret Volcano Base: my RPG blog currently discussing Fantasy Craft and Freeport!
Big_Jim
Handler

An integral part of any plan for world domination.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2011, 09:16:09 PM »

Thanks, Psion. I was having much the same issue. Now I'll be breaking arms and what-not.
Coyote0273
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2011, 09:44:36 PM »

I had the same issue. I solved it by printing up the NPC's off the NPC builder, then writing down all their special powers on the print out, from stances to tricks to powers. I still forgot from time to time in big battles, but it helped me remember all my secret anti-PC tricks. Smiley
Big_Jim
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2011, 10:28:23 PM »

Sorry, my issue was crit-killing the party. Going to the Table of Ouch will be used instead.
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2011, 01:22:16 AM »

Another recent revelation to me was the way critical hits and injuries work. I've been afraid of assigning NPCs high-damage attacks, in the event that a crit comes up, I don't feel afraid to activate it. But then, reading the crit hit/injury rules, it sort of occurred to me that it's designed with this in mind. Anything that would take down a medium or larger target in one shot can automatically fall into the category of hits that can be used as injuries.

This, and my players not using that rule, were the big reason I changed the Critical Injury to being a single dice - so you can spend a die and cause either a Critical Hit or a Critical Injury, or two dice for both.  Since then the table has seen heaps more use - my players have started to try to spot the potential recurring villains and Injure them for the second fight [having them start with a broken or maimed limb, or have to explain in court how they recieved an injury that the PCs reported was caused to the villain] and I can look forward to Critical Threats without fear of player death.
Doublebond
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2011, 03:59:21 AM »

This, and my players not using that rule, were the big reason I changed the Critical Injury to being a single dice - so you can spend a die and cause either a Critical Hit or a Critical Injury, or two dice for both. 

Care to explain just what on earth you mean by this, and how exactly it's supposed to differ from the core rules?
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2011, 05:57:32 AM »

This, and my players not using that rule, were the big reason I changed the Critical Injury to being a single dice - so you can spend a die and cause either a Critical Hit or a Critical Injury, or two dice for both. 

Care to explain just what on earth you mean by this, and how exactly it's supposed to differ from the core rules?

Quote from: Fantasy Craft (Second Printing), Page 207
A critical hit has the following effects.
Special Character: The attacker may spend 1 action die to apply the damage directly to the targetís wounds, ignoring any remaining vitality. Alternately, if the damage exceeds the targetís Constitution score, the attacker may spend 2 action dice to inflict a critical injury, as shown on Table 5.1: The Table of Ouch.

I reduce the cost to a single action die to inflict a critical injury, rather then the default two dice.  At two dice my players never use them, but at a single die they use them far more often, especially as the injury "lingers" [and I come up with ways a lingering injury can influence the story].  I also add that they can spend two dice to inflict both a critical injury and deal the damage to the targets wounds.
Psion
Control

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2011, 08:29:21 AM »

Funny you mention that... I was thinking of a campaign quality called "that's going to leave a mark!" that runs pretty much like your house rule. Smiley

The Secret Volcano Base: my RPG blog currently discussing Fantasy Craft and Freeport!
Big_Jim
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2011, 03:27:27 PM »

*yoink*
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

End of the World? Donít believe the hype.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2011, 05:38:11 PM »

That's an impressive tweak. Well done!

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games

In game terms, reality is broken.