Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 19, 2014, 09:13:19 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Fantasy Craft
| | |-+  Fantasy Craft Second Printing Q&A Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 155 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fantasy Craft Second Printing Q&A Thread  (Read 140095 times)
Fastidious Monk
Recruit

There's always a 4.5% margin of error; + or -

View Profile
« Reply #1290 on: October 22, 2012, 12:51:38 PM »

How do you make someone Helpless?  I could not find a specific mechanic to cause this; there was nothing which said, "X causes a character to be Helpless."

For example, if a character is Paralyzed they are flat footed and can only take purely mental actions.  Mechanically, wouldn't the character also be Helpless?

Thanks

Deral
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: October 22, 2012, 07:53:49 PM »

How do you make someone Helpless?  I could not find a specific mechanic to cause this; there was nothing which said, "X causes a character to be Helpless."

For example, if a character is Paralyzed they are flat footed and can only take purely mental actions.  Mechanically, wouldn't the character also be Helpless?

Thanks

There isn't any explicit way to become helpless- I suppose that's likely because being helpless is kind of subjective, all you have to go on is the condition text "unable to defend themselves in any way." Since there's nearly no other mention of it in the book, I'd say it's up to the GM to say when a character is or isn't helpless.

For what it's worth- in Spycraft a character became Helpless when bound, paralyzed, sleeping, or unconscious- that'd be a good place to start.
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

We have all the time in the world.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1292 on: October 26, 2012, 01:12:09 AM »

There isn't any explicit way to become helpless- I suppose that's likely because being helpless is kind of subjective, all you have to go on is the condition text "unable to defend themselves in any way." Since there's nearly no other mention of it in the book, I'd say it's up to the GM to say when a character is or isn't helpless.

Yup. This is left open to interpretation by design.

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games
YouTube: www.youtube.com/craftyhomeoffice

In game terms, reality is b
Valentina
Control

View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: October 26, 2012, 01:49:10 PM »

While I'm sure this is settled I want to voice my support of concern about Fantasy Archery.
Consistently, through almost every fantasy system I've ever played, a dedicated Archer threatens to outshine anyone specialized in melee by basically being capable of as much or nearly as much damage with the added bonus of being able to do so at any range.
What they make lack in tricks, but frequently can learn anyway, they make up for in sheer effectiveness usually by volume fire.
I don't doubt Crafty is aware of this, but I wanted to speak up anyway. Adding medieval equivalents of modern riflemen with no restrictions on RoF or minimum range or whatever is a commonly accepted price-of-admission headache for everyone else.

"Cui bono?" -Lucius Cassius Longinus Ravilla, 127 BCE.

"Hier stehe ich, ich kann nicht anders" -Martin Luthor, 1483-1546.
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1294 on: October 26, 2012, 05:05:53 PM »

What negates or blocks Deathwatch?

I thought maybe Mind Blank, but it says Divination spells automatically fail.  Deathwatch is Necromancy.  But Mind Blank also says "...character canít be magically observed in his location...".  I assumed it was intended for Scrying, but is this enough to block Deathwatch?

Given that Mind Blank is Level 8 and Deathwatch is Level 1, I'd be perfectly happy saying that the former trumps the latter.

I dislike absolutes in game, so I for one would be okay saying that Deathwatch is a detection that defeats mind blank, perhaps with a minimum DC requirement or opposed roll vs. the caster of Mind Blank.

We generally dislike absolutes as well but there's a point where the mechanical support required to avoid them simply isn't worth it. In this case Deathwatch is adding rather than taking away (in that it's offering info rather than shutting down an avenue of play), so it's fine, and Mind Blank is Level 8, which is well into "game breaking" territory.

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO

Ares
Control

deus ex machina

View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: November 11, 2012, 03:02:34 PM »

The gladiator gains the "harsh beating" ability, which causes a +4 penalty on Fortitude saves for subdual damage.

Standard characters don't differentiate between different damage types and don't use Fortitude but Health saves.

Does that mean, they are immune to the effect of "harsh beating" if they are attacked with the pummel action?

Plan B: Use more fire
Creamor
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1296 on: November 11, 2012, 03:47:22 PM »

The gladiator gains the "harsh beating" ability, which causes a +4 penalty on Fortitude saves for subdual damage.

Standard characters don't differentiate between different damage types and don't use Fortitude but Health saves.

Does that mean, they are immune to the effect of "harsh beating" if they are attacked with the pummel action?

No. It means that in those cases their Damage save goes up. It's a logical application we didn't feel needed to be explained, and also felt would needlessly complicate the ability description if we did.

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO

Ares
Control

deus ex machina

View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: November 12, 2012, 04:06:11 AM »

Thanks,
a follow up to that: The Paladin Expert Class has the Stand in Judgement Ability to penalize Fort, Refl or Will saves. Would you handle that analogue, or was it a deliberate distinction to narrow this ability on the three saves?

Plan B: Use more fire
Creamor
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1298 on: November 12, 2012, 02:55:10 PM »

a follow up to that: The Paladin Expert Class has the Stand in Judgement Ability to penalize Fort, Refl or Will saves. Would you handle that analogue, or was it a deliberate distinction to narrow this ability on the three saves?

Same analogue.

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO

Bhurano
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: November 19, 2012, 03:52:03 PM »

Hi there,

I told a buddy last weekend that he had spend 5 points to much on his Animal Partner and his Personal Lieutenant.
So he told me that he uses the 50 XP + all of the relevant feats... which for him include the feat that gave him the ability to have a e. g. Animal Partner.

So if he has 4 Feats (Animal Partner, 3 Terrain Feats) he uses up 70 XP... His reasoning is that the text says "50 + 5 ◊ the permanent Terrain feats you have."

I on the other hand would say that the correct sum would be 65 XP.
My reasoning goes that Animal Partner/Personal Lieutenant doesn't give 5 XP on top, since it gives you a pool of 50 XP to create a AP/PL.

So which way is it supposed to be?
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: November 19, 2012, 04:04:02 PM »

Your buddy's right, you're wrong.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Jake
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: November 19, 2012, 04:26:16 PM »

Your buddy's right, you're wrong.

I concur, if the only Terrain feat he had was AP, he would have 55 XP to spend. Same with PLt feat. If he went Lancer and I took AP twice with no other Terrain feats, he would have 60 XP each to spend.

Founding member of the 10kBLF (Ten Thousand Bullets Liberation Front).
Big_Jim
Handler

An integral part of any plan for world domination.

View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: November 19, 2012, 09:04:49 PM »

Helpful reminder for this: A warhorse is 55xp.  Therefore, a 1st level Lancer can get the warhorse right out the gate.
Bhurano
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: November 20, 2012, 03:52:44 AM »

Ok, cool that's settled then. Thanks guys. Smiley
Jackal_mkII
Agent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1304 on: November 21, 2012, 11:42:14 AM »

Ok, this one came up last weekend. Attack is rolled and scores a Threat. Parry attempt is made and succeeds. Would the AD be spent before or after the Trick? Either way, damage averted?

http://jackaldice.blogspot.com/  Noob gamer reconciles 4 years of gaming observations. Updates Wednesdays.
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 155 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: